I called the police on my aunt's caregivers.

Started by

I filed a police report on my aunt's caregivers who were taking out large cash withdrawals each week and helped her remove me as POA. Anyone else have this experience. I am pretty nervous about it though I had documentation of all the withdrawals.

33 Comments

if your aunt is of sound mind she can light cigars with hundred dollar bills if she wants. our doc asked mom what year it was and who the current president was and decided from that that she was capable of making her own decisions.
She is not of sound mind, she has dementia of some kind (changes Docs any time one hints of this to her) and is almost blind. But my gut tells me the law won't do anything until she is broke and than she will become my responsibility again.
cap'n is so right. If your aunt is of sound mind, you have no legal leg to stand on. It'll be her/their word against yours, even with documents.
My moms doc did the same thing. Asked her a bunch of stupid questions, in front of me, and said she was a sharp as a tack. I don't know if she actually had dementia but she definitely had mental problems of some sort. I never liked nor trusted that doctor.
My mom had a caregiver from an agency, who took my mom to the bank to have my name removed from her accounts because she told mom I was stealing from her. I promptly told my mom to get her ass in the car and I took her back to the bank. Eventually this stellar caregiver had my mom convinced of all kinds of things. Mom, with caregiver's help, got a lawyer on me, I got a lawyer to defend myself,mom disowned me and then she died. Guess whose name was left out of mom's will (me) and whose name appeared first (caregiver). And drumroll please...it was all legal.
You did what you had to do to protect your aunt. You have documentation. Now I wish you luck. If I could've done anything, I'd have mom's caregiver in jail but my mom, as goofy as she was, wanted it that way.
Thanks, you are saying what I am expecting to happen, nothing. I think the only possibility of action is the fact she has such limited sight that she will sign anything put in front of her. SUper easy to take advantage of her in this way. Depending on the day she could pass a basic competency test so I don't want to go that route. It makes me sad that she is going to end up in a poor facilty after they have taken everything when she would be comfortable if her savings were left alone.
I know. It's heartbreaking. As long as I live I will never understand how anyone can take advantage of the elderly. Even if they act stupidly, they do not deserve to be robbed of their money. No conscience I guess.
Please let us know if you get results. You'll be providing useful information for the next person with this situation.
There are people who love money so much that they'll sell their souls for a nickel... which is about what their souls are worth.
In California the law is very specific: if an individual leaves any money or real property to a paid Caregiver, that inheritance will be voided by ANY objection from any family member. Even if they are a distant relative. And, if an individual is adamant about leaving/or gifting a Caregiver anything in a will or their current assists, two lawyers or a qualified and neutral third party must evaluate if the decision to gift a Caregiver is valid, and has not been manipulated or coerced by the Caregiver. It's not impossible to make a Caregiver and heir in California, but it's damn near! I am a paid Caregiver, and I have been on both sides of this issue. I have stated in other posts that many times family members want to blame the Caregivers when something like this happens. Your Mother had issues with you in the first place. The Caregiver may have or may have not fueled the fire. The bottom line is no paid Caregiver should influence the parent or family member one way or another. We are to remain neutral if we are honest, and forthright people. My boss wanted to "will" me her 450,000.00 house. I told her that was ridiculous, and promptly steered her back to her family getting what she has. I also called her lawyer, and told her. Her lawyer explained to her the law, and also discouraged her from doing anything if the sort. The elderly are vulnerable. I believe that blood is thicker than water, and would never accept something of this magnitude never matter how tempting or how bad the family dynamics are. It's just wrong. I would call a lawyer, and see what the options are. I doubt a Caregiver would have the leverage a son would over objections to a will. Good luck!
If it was not for a couple elderly ladies...one a former co-worker of my mom, the other an insurance volunteer who my mom was having balance her checkbook for her,both ladies encouraged my mother to trust me and my sister. Mom has a personality disorder and Alzheimer's, she was telling people we were stealing from her which we weren't. My mom finally started to let us help her pay her bills etc. I scares me to think what could have happened if some scammer got my mom on the phone and talked her into something. I would alert parents attorney's about any potential fraud. Possibly take a parent with dementia to a neurologist for evaluation, if you suspect fraud call APS, go to your parents home when caregiver is there with a hidden recorder, better yet, before caregiver is hired, install nanny cams. Do everything you can to protect your parent prior to them hiring a caregiver even if you have to lie to your parent, take them out of the house while nanny cams are being installed. My mom told bank personnel we were stealing or trying to steal her money. They never did anything and if they did, there would have been no evidence because we weren't. My mom would trust everyone outside the family even if she didn't know them well. As an adult child of a parent like this, you need to be very vigilant to protect them as best you can. I know it can't always be stopped and it is a heartbreaking situation when it happens. There was a poster on this site about a year ago who had her mother in a nursing home and a night time employee told her mother she would take care of her in her home (not dementia), the mother went for it, the employee had her change herself as POA and she withdrew all the woman's money, wouldn't let family visit her and when the money was gone, she abandoned her. The woman died in her home alone, family was notified by authorities. Yes, it was all legal. Even the NH claimed no liability because they said they had no policy stopping their employees from moonlighting.The only recourse I can suggest is a guardianship/conservatorship.
It has been a week and I still can't find who in the police department has the case. No calls from Adult Social Services and another $3000 gone and a credit card opened. Today I am going in person to all the above places and making some noise.
If your mother is on speaking terms with you , try to get her in to see a neuropsychologist to be tested for dementia and then you can petition the court to act as her guardian . You can also request her current physician to examine her and petition the court if he feels she is incompetent to make decisions. It is likely the caregiver has poisoned her against you and any other family member who could be influential and expose the truth about the caregiver. You are hesitant to have your aunt tested for competency, however this is the only way you can be sure she has done these actions without undue influence by the care giver. In Illinois this is considered financial exploitation and while it is difficult to prove it can be done. Guardianship if she is incompetent is the only way to protect her and her money to provide and pay for her current and future care needs. A guardian at litem, will be appointed to represent her while the investigation is in progress. You do not need to become legal guardian if you choose not too, the court can appoint a financial person/ attorney to handle her money and they can hire a geriatric care manager to monitor in home caregivers and her medical care.
Never hire a private caregiver who has not been background checked, and
Nd employed by a licensed reputable agency. Preferable a member of the NPDA.
Again a GCM can assist you with finding appropriate caregiver agencies. Contacting the states attorney may also expedite the process of investigation.

I agree with nanny cams, and all protective devices that can be instituted. Always chech in on loved ones often, be suspicious if you are being told they aren't available for you to come by and see them.
, and never allow caregivers to handle checkbook or money. They are not competent or allowed to do that. Provide grocery cash cards for purchase of groceries, toiletries, etc. Exocet receipts with change and take all financial information, jewelry , an pd valuables to a lock box in her financial institution. Monitor her credit rating for charge cards opened against her will, change address to a pub for her bills, Medicare, insurance, bank, and other important information. Direct deposit her social security or pensions into her bank account. Good luck to you and God bless you both.

Keep the conversation going (or start a new one)

Please enter your Comment

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support