I called the police on my aunt's caregivers.

Follow

I filed a police report on my aunt's caregivers who were taking out large cash withdrawals each week and helped her remove me as POA. Anyone else have this experience. I am pretty nervous about it though I had documentation of all the withdrawals.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
1 2 3 4
Update and thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I just got my termination papers from my aunt's new attorney. I am disinherited but also no longer PA, MPA, or anything else. She named her CPA in my place. I am beyond thrilled and relieved. From what I know he is a stand up guy. (It was her new attorney's advice to use him as PA) He plans to put the caregiver on a salary and withhold taxes. That will stop the financial abuse in its tracks which was my primary concern. The alienation toward my sister and I we can attempt to repair and it will help not having to be in charge of her life and well being. I am going to get the details on conservatorship from an attorney ( already have appt before letter) and let Adult Social Services and police report play out. But I am FREE! This cpa is youngish, I don't think he quite knows what he is in store for with all the medical stuff but it is not my problem anymore. Repeat..not my problem! I haven't felt this good in years. Now I just have to take care of her sister who is always appreciative.

Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. It saved me.
(3)

Contact her bank -- they are "mandatory reporters" for financial abuse of elders. APS will not call you, you need to call them (maybe repeatedly). Write down the name of who you talk to. Nothing like own "name on the line" to make people pay attention.
Start a notebook now, write down ALL contact you have w/APS, bank, etc. Date, time, person you talked to, what you told them (in brief).
$3k - is this the caregiver's pay? Wouldn't be excessive for 2 wks care + food, but if she is already being paid...uh oh!
Credit card -- report potential identity theft/fraud TO THE CREDIT CARD CO-again, -- since they are the ones on the hook, they may at least give her a small limit. You may have to go the dementia route & "undue influence" charges against caregiver. Look up caregiver to see if similar charges already filed.
(1)

I like the PI idea. My aunt's sister is in bad shape mentally. I don't think she could handle it. I have decided to go ahead and try for the conservatorship. I figure I have nothing to lose and hate to see these people use her like that. I have also laid lots of ground work with police report, Adult Soc Services.
(1)

Hire a private investigator. Find out from bunco squad at your police department who is a reputable one. You've tried everything else!
(1)

I'm sorry niceniece. It sounds like you definitely have your hands full with this aunt. It's obvious she's being taken advantage of, but as long as she's of "sound mind", there's not a lot you can do. It's her money, and she can spend or give it away any way she wants. If she runs out of money, she can always go on Medicaid, can't she? Not the best - but better than nothing. And if it comes to that - it's not your fault. She did it to herself. But if you're up to the challenge and your attorney thinks you can win, I'd go for guardianship. But understand this - unfortunately your aunt will DEFINITELY hate you after that. Have you tried having your aunt's sister talk to her to see if that could help? Just a thought. ((HUGS))
(0)

I need some more input! Please.
After a day with the police and my aunt's attorney I found out that as long as she insists she is giving the money freely and we don't have a dementia diagnosis there is nothing to be done. I also found out that my aunt has created new legal documents. I assume I am removed from everything including medical POA. My lawyer has a conflict but I need to decide if I just want to let this go or pursue guardianship. Everyone agrees they are taking advantage of her but no one seems to be able to act. I am so exhausted just getting this far which is basically no where. She is happy with them and they are taking good physical care of her for now but I hate to think of what will happen when her money runs out.

My sister says if this is what she wants we should just back away. I think that she ( aunt) appointed me to look over things and this means following this through but boy am I tired of this. Just a reminder, I take care of her sister as well though she is long distance and very cooperative so not as big a deal. But it is still there.
(1)

She has revoked my PA. And they are not paid caregivers. It is her handyman and his wife. They take her to the bank and she takes out $200-3000 in cash each week. They have had her open a credit card which is used far away from her. I have tried to freeze account, contacted ASS, police and her lawyer, an elder victim's agency, all her care providers, the caregivers themselves and my aunt. Gotten me no where. I appreciate everyone letting me vent in this column. I have one last try and that will be her accountant who she listens to. I am finding everyone is sympathetic but wants the other guy to actually do something. This week they took out only $1000 which is much less than usual so they must be cognizant I am taking some action. I dont' expect it to continue.
(2)

niceniece, I don't blame you for being concerned about your aunt's money especially if, when she is strapped for money, you are going to have be responsible for her. I know you are frustrated watching this train wreck happen before your eyes. That is exactly how I felt when my mom, who didn't have dementia, started spending her money like a drunken sailor with the help of a less than stellar paid caregiver. I totally get your frustration. It's easy to say walk away but you can't. I truly hope you find a solution because i see you are really trying. Good does not always triumph over evil. All I can offer is my empathy and best wishes.
(0)

If you have a valid POA, you have the authority to fire those Caregivers, and hire whomever YOU see fit. You have the power to put her in assisted living, etc. You just need to assert your authority. What I would suggest is that you freeze her bank account (power of attorney can do that) call the district attorney's office, and the local police - tell them that you have a valid POA, and that you have made other arrangements for your aunt, and that you want the present people removed immediately. I didn't realize you had POA. You can do ALOT to save your aunts financial security! You need to call the banks, local police, and district attorneys office, also the adult protective service people. Actually, what might be even more effective is to draft a letter to the district attorney, and copy all of the entities I mentioned. Let them know the situation, stick to the facts, and have a game plan. These people can have no authority...unless she has revoked your poa. Then, get a lawyer. I'm sorry you have to go through all this for just trying to do the right thing. Sucks.
(0)

When I first moved here I was there often, sometimes mulitple times a day when she was having trouble. Her main issue has been her sight so I would go over and read her mail, help her with her paperwork, turn on the tv etc. It became clear that she needed some in home help in addition to my sister and I. All the professionals I talked to said we couldn't do anything until she is has some sort of crisis so I backed out to some degree hoping she would see that she needed more than my sister and I could give her. She took herself out of respite care against medical advice and I was unwilling to move in with her to administer her meds (eye drops) around the clock for weeks when we had made better arrangements that she had agreed to before the surgery.

And yes right now my only concern is her money. She is going to need to move to some assisted living facily sooner rather than later. She is almost blind and has dementia. When she makes the move she has the money to get into a decent place that should last her until she dies. That is why she has saved so diligently for so many years. She made me power of attorney to keep an eye on these sorts of issues and that is what I am doing. It is her money, not mine or these people who are taking advantage of her. And I know when all her money is gone, these people will be too and she will be my responsibility to house and take care of.

I don't apologize for differentiating between her and my mother. In this case my mom and this sister hated each other and I still get earfulls about my deceased mother from this one. As I said early on , I have no first cousins and 3 elderly aunts that have made me their POAs ( finances are my strength). I do the best I can by them but I am unwilling to put my independence on hold so they can maintain the illusion of their independence. . These people are breaking the law in our state, it is a police matter and not my job to physically keep them away by camping out at her house.
(2)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions