Follow

My grandmother is now been moved to the long term ward of the nursing home but still a hard shell to crack. She is getting along with her roommate which is good, but when the trouble started a doctor from the elder care lawyer I'm working with on getting my guardianship with came to give an analysis on her condition. She was feisty with the guy. He was there for half and hour then after a while she got that she wanted to go home so I went to talk to a doctor and then I just broke down. This has been very overwhelming, so the social worker came and talked to me. She could feel I'm burning out. Maybe I am. I didn't get to enjoy much of this summer as I wanted to because of this. I had to clean this house, paint it, donate tons of clothes and throw out tons of garbage plus visiting and I feel like its taking its toll. I eat bad again, smoke again and have not been to a gym since before this all happened. Besides talking to you on here is there a support group local to me that I can reach out to?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Thank you all for reading and listening this has been tough and I know its been tough for most of you all too.this is the hardest situation to ever deal with. Thanks barb Brooklyn posting up the link I see my job has one I work as a cook at a nursing facility in northern nj I have not been there long after spending 18 years in hotels in my career. I'm glad she's in a safe place at least there's ac inside her room there on a hot day like today or she would have been in a house with no ac even though there is one which I installed she would have not fared well going back home and given the in house keeper heck the house was no where done in time but the hoyer lift situation won me over to keep her there she will be allowed to leave the facility on field trips that they give or when I come I just gotta be trained on how to use the wheel chair upon putting it in the car etc I know she will put up a guard but its for her best interests as well as my sanity. I did my best the last 6 years after my mom passed taking her to doctor appts ,food shopping ,picking up prescriptions etc I know she is saying up above I made the right choice u did something I tried hard and had no success to do. I'm hanging in there
(0)

No I'm not bringing her home I know that will be bad for me she snaps at the nurses just giving her medications and gets angry that ppl are taking her money. she will be fine she will make friends there
(0)

The link I posted is to the NJ Alzheimer's Association. They should be able to direct you to a support group if that's what you want.

The fact that gma WANTS to come home does not mean she CAN come home. If you are her guardian, she has been declared not able to make her own decisions. You are thus in the position of a parent of a toddler who wants to run in the road.

She may not be happy, but she's safe.

Go to the gym today!
(3)

You do not have to bring her home. If you are now burnt out, bringing her home will only make your situation worse. Tell the social worker that she needs more care than you can provide. As her guardian you DO NOT have to provide her one on one care.
(1)

https://www.alznj.org/services/

Also ask the SW if the home runs a support group.
(1)

Im in new jersey woodbridge area but she is in the freehold area and no she is in the rehab facility currently not at home she is safe where she is at
(1)

Coneal, where are you, geographically?

Grandma is in a facility and isn't going home, correct?
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter