Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3
I am not sure most people know that you can renew hospice if you need to do so -a lot people who have talked to me think it is only for a limited time such as six months- but I learned it can be used longer.
(0)

My Mom was put on hospice for about 6 months when I first took her to live with me. She was taken off hospice (because she got better) for over 5 years then put back on when she started declining. They said she only had a few months to live when I took her and she lived 6 more years!
People also think you have to be on your death bed to be put on hospice but that isn't true either. You just have to have an illness that will eventually end your life at some point. I just know that they took a lot of burden off my shoulders.
Gina
(0)

Thank you for that, Gina. I preach hospice all of the time. People wait too long, and then said they wished they'd gotten help sooner (once they've done it). And your mother is proof that you can "go off" hospice, if you get better. It happens more often than people think. Thanks for getting that message out.
Carol
(0)

Another thing you can get hospice for someone in a nursing home which was a great help to a friend of mine at the end of her mothers life at age 99 and 1/2
(0)

Both of my parents were in a nursining home when they had hospice care. The nursing home staff works under hospice direction, for medication. They worked seamlessly together, and my parents had staff from both organizations to help. Both chaplains visited. Familiar CNAs took care of them. But hospice directed the operation and had their staff tending to things, also. The whole idea is that people can die at home wherever their home is. By the time my parents died, their home was Rosewood.

Carol
(0)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter