Follow

I am 81-years-old. I live alone and like where I live. My graanddaihter has been amazing, but she has a full-time job. Her daughters are 18 and 19 and will be available at times. I need someone to come in for light housekeeping and occasional errands. My meals are delivered and that is great. I'm hoping I can get an electric wheelchair to keep me from kissing the floor. I'm working on that. What are acceptable charges in Augusta, Ga. I appreciate your organization.

Have you contacted Council on Aging in your area? You may be able to qualify for help through them.

They won’t provide a lot of hours but it’s something.

Otherwise, call a few agencies, plus a few nursing schools too. Students are always looking for ways to earn money. Or look into hiring a private caregiver with experience. Check references and have a contract ready for them to sign.
(0)

I found a wonderful respite caregiver on care.com. I think this website, agingcare, can also help you. I suggest getting family members to help with background checks and interviews, to be on the safe side. I live in Rhode Island, where someone like we have (more of a companion really) costs about $25/hour.
(0)

First, do you have all your documents in place? A Will, Power of Attorney, Health care proxy. If not, hire and eldercare lawyer to help you complete these. Secondly, call a Healthcare agency and ask about part time aides. They can upgrade the service as needed. I disagree with those who want you to go into a facility right now. My sister 85, lives alone and has part time aides. My parents died at home at 90 and 95 respectively and had full time aides. Your post indicates have your cognitive abilities so there still may be a fear of falling so you can get one of those emergency call pendants. After you call the healthcare agency they will send someone to evaluate your situation and make recommendations. In my area we have a place called “Wheel it Forward” where you can buy or rent a wheelchair that has been donated. Now all of this costs money and I don’t know how much you have so that is why I suggest speaking with a lawyer first to find out if you can have Medicaid. You can do an irrevocable trust for family members and retain enough to qualify for Medicaid. This all takes time and energy so you need a family member to help with that? ( eg being present when the person from the healthcare agency arrives). I really hope this helps you stay in your home.
(1)

I'm not sure what charges you mean? For private aids or for the wheelchair?

As an adult daughter who is PoA or care manager for 3 relatives ages 89, 94 and 104, please don't assume your family into orbiting around you more and more. Eventually you will need more than light housekeeping and occasional errands. My Mom lives next door to me and is 94, still drives, but her cognitive skills are declining faster each year. She thinks she's living independently in her home but if it weren't for me being literally right there for her every day, she'd be in a different situation.

Please consider that making your family eventually take care of you plus your home is not a good plan -- even if there are 3 of them. Lots of well-meaning, loving people get sucked into a vortex of providing constant care because it happens gradually and the care receiver is stubbornly resisting other options because they aren't realistic.

Hopefully you have a Durable Power of Attorney, a Advance Healthcare Directive and a Will. Hopefully you have enough money to keep paying for more and more in-home aids, services, maintenance and repairs. We are in a labor shortage right now so the costs of this are way more than in past years.

I'm glad that you are happy where you are right now. I hope you never "kiss the floor"!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter