Follow

She can't lift her hands over her head. I’m looking for 2 hours in morning and 2 hours at night. All of the organizations have a min of at least 3 hours per visit and are too expensive at $30 per hour to sustain long term home care

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Could she be showered and cleaned in the mornings and her clothes be changed out to gowns or such that fasten in the front? She could go all day in one and then change the next morning? CG could do light housekeeping and pill management (if allowed) in the 4 hr time frame.

Most CG companies will charge for 4 hrs whether the CG is there for 20 minutes or the full 4 hrs.

If you can't find gowns that open in the front, ask around to find a seamstress that could make something that would work. I sew all the time and made daddy 'hospital gowns' when he was at the EOL with Parkinson's. I found a simple pattern and adapted it to his height, etc. He felt better in 'real clothes'. His tied in the back, but these could be easily adapted to your mom's needs. If I were making these for a LO, I would put a zipper in the front that would run most the length of the gown.

Using lovely fabrics that feel good next to the skin and pretty, age appropriate patterns would maybe lift her spirits a little. (I'm remembering that mother bought Mickey Mouse material for dad's gown and he HATED it.)
(1)

I have a friend who is 85 with similar issues. She gave away all her over the head tops and bought new ones that open in the front.
(0)

Theresa if your Mom has original Medicare for insurance, ask her doctor to order Home Health for her as she is homebound with mobility issues. Tell the doctor she needs a physical therapy evaluation. They can set up her pill box, check her vitals and send a bathing aide a few times a week. The aide will change her and can help with changing her bed linens. It’s not daily help but it is some help you don’t have now.
Call the area agency on aging to see what services may be available.
(1)

I found a PSW that advertised herself on a nanny/caregiving website. Since she only wanted part time hours, she’s just charging $20/hr. Try googling senior care in your area and see what comes up. Just remember to ask for that criminal background check, and references.
(0)

Good luck with that 🤔
Getting dressed doesn't take more than 15 minutes, what are her other needs?? If the only thing you really need daily is assistance dressing then it would be much more cost effective to buy new adaptive clothing that she can handle on her own .
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter