Follow

okay, guess I'm stupid and you're always right. He then will start asking me if I want a divorce, and says he can fix that, the next hurtful thing is, I don't need you...you need me!

Then silence. I find that since his hearing is so bad, he sometimes thinks I have said something other than what I said, seems to always be on the defense, hard to get any conversations going with that in mind.

I just go day to day and try to keep things light, or is the other word for it...walk on egg shells?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My dad was like that too to my stepmom.  She started picking her times when she needed to correct him vs when to let it go. The mind is not working very well and can't process some of this. My dad was really mean about it too. Unfortunately he was like this from the day of his stroke 7 years ago until he died recently.
(1)

Since the man is already taking about 15 pills a day, he has refused anything else, and that has happened about three times...at the Dr. office, who says, well, if you don't want them I won't give them, as you probably wouldn't take them.
(0)

Thank you, yes he has a bad temper, but nothing other than loud yelling and storming away has happened so far...I say so far, because I have been told that being an angry person will only magnify as time goes on.
(0)

He seems to be having outbursts more lately, sometimes I think it is because I have tried to set boundaries, as to just running out for anything when he wants to, and he has made excuses to do such things, I think he is wanting to run out and just get a way from home to much, and if we go out he wants to spend, spend, spend. He has lost interest in most things, and I have tried a few times to get him interested in visiting the senior center, to no avail. Has always wanted things his way, and is manipulating.
(1)

Its the Dementia and being hard of hearing is not helping. Ask his dr. if there is something he can be given.
(2)

IS this a sudden change of behavior? Has he become in any way violent?

You have a lot of family, I imagine some are helpful and some are not. Try getting some kind of respite situation worked out amongst the family first--if you find it is wearing you to a nub--look into long term care.

My grandma's worst fear was that granddad would "outlive" her love for him. He almost did. When he became foul mouthed (and THAT was NOT GP!!) and a little physical towards her, they had him placed in a close-by nursing home. He died very shortly thereafter, but didn't get the "chance" to break grandma's heart.

You know his brain is broken, right? The things he says--they're not how he feels. I know it still hurts though.
(3)

No1, I'm sorry that you've hit a rough patch with DH ( dear husband).

Is this new behavior? If his behavior represents a change in mental status, please find a way to get him in to see his doc. He could have a UTI, have had a TIA or some other " event" that is causing cognitive / personality changes.

Lat us know what happens; we care! ((((((((Hugs))))))
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter