Follow

This is an interesting stroll down Memory Lane, something to divert attention from the pandemic, caregiving, bills, and even cold weather.

How many of these old items can you recognize?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/how-to-tell-if-youre-old

There's a list available on the forum where I found this; I'll post it tomorrow if all the items haven't been identified.

Have fun!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
How to tell if you're old.... you have 60 years worth of diaries [guess they are called Journals now a day].

I kept one of those pink locked diaries back in junior high and in high school. Never did one after that. I have looked at them and noticed everything was pretty dorky. So I toss them out a few years ago.

I kept a scrap book after high school and into my then marriage. It's been years since I have looked at it. Maybe it is time to toss it. I found my Mom's scrap book of her first few years of marriage soooo much more interesting, and my baby book :) Wished my Mom would have kept up with the scrap book as she and Dad were married over 70 years. Maybe since my Dad had thousands of Kodak slides that was her scrap book :)
(5)

MS,

My neighbor was an artist. I was really good friends with her daughter. I frequently slept over at her home on weekends.

We used to babysat together and made a whopping .50 an hour! LOL

My friend watched the infant and I watched the two year old.

My friend’s mom who was an artist showed us how to batik and I loved it. I was fascinated with the whole process.
(1)

gladimhere, flat sheets with "hospital corners"
(2)

Yes on the tie-dying.  For sure.  I also did this as recently as last summer.

Yes also on the batik, but it was at summer camp under close supervision of an art teacher.  Many, many years ago.  I would be a beginner again if I decided to do that now.
(1)

Who did tie-dying and batiking as a teen?

Tie-dying made a comeback during COVID! My daughters made tie-dyed masks.
(1)

If you know how to make a bed with only flat sheets! My mom refused to buy fitted for many, many years. "They just fall apart". Maybe they did, but I would never know.
(2)

Beatty, glad you enjoyed the analysis.   I enjoy doing that.  I gained a lot of insight through English  courses, and more through a Shakespeare course.    They met academic credits, but for me they were really fun classes just as geology was (another analytical class).   After Econ classes, I needed a breather!
(1)

Thankyou GardenArtist!

Wow, what observations you have! I feel like I just completed a masterclass & thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to my next viewing.
(2)

Beatty,  I don't recall the reasons why Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone With the Wind (beyond the political and drastic changes for  people of color, but I can think of a few reasons why Scarlett was attracted to Ashley:

1.  He was calm, insightful, not given to irrational or spur of the moment behavior.

2.  He didn't fall for her as did the other men in the county, who seemed to be enthralled with her.   He was the "hard to get man."  She uses the adoration of other men as a sounding board for her beauty and attraction; that didn't work with Ashley (until she manipulated the situation to make it occur).

3.   I learned in a college English lit course that classic romantic novels have various aspects, one of which is an obstacle between two people, which has to be overcome before they can become a couple.   This is incorporated into many of the Hallmark movies, and not very subtly. 

For Ashley, it was the apparent arrangement to wed Melanie, also apparently expected of him.   For Rhett, Ashley was the obstacle.   For Scarlett, her own inability to understand her feelings for Ashley, and his unavailability were the obstacles, as was Melanie.   

Jane Austen incorporates the couple obstacle theme, especially prominent in Pride and Prejudice.      

4.  For Mitchell as an author, the romantic issues could also be a "carrying" mechanism, to introduce and lessen the impact of the Civil War.

Anyway, it's a darn good book, and an excellent movie.  Gable was I think magnificent in portraying Rhett... suave, sophisticated, connected, adaptable, politically savvy but not obsessive, and certainly able to analyze rationally on how the South had no preparation to take on the North.
(3)

I never did get Scarlett's attraction to Ashley... He was much better suited to quiet sensible Melanie & she knew it.

I bought the DVD at the start of the pandemic. I figured if I was laid up for a while I would at least enjoy watching it again. So far so good, but it's not over yet...
(3)

GA,

Newman and Gleason were great together as pool players in The Hustler. Great movie!
(2)

NHWM, Newman really was a talented actor, as was Redford.   And they worked so well together.    The Sting was another favorite, especially the theme music (The Entertainer).

Yes, Gable is preferred to Ashley, not so much in looks but in personality.    In some ways, Ashley was kind of sad b/c he didn't speak up for himself.   Gable was much more assertive. 

The whole Gone With the Wind movie was so well done, especially in addressing the dominant personalities, and their interactions with each other.    Melanie was more insightful that Scarlett; the 2 were such interesting characters when compared as women in those early times.  I thought the character studies and comparisons were very well done, especially for a movie based on a novel.
(2)

@Mysteryshopper, a crone party is for 60 year old women who reached crone status! Dispensing wisdom, sage advice, etc., and though some push the envelope to 55, I had my online party at 60. It was fun! :) Just general horsing around online, you know. I guess any birthday with a 0 in it qualifies after 60.
(1)

My grandpa was a big fan of westerns so I watched all of them!

My grandfather was larger than life to me.

He watched baseball (Yankees fan) and Lawrence Welk because my grandfather loved to Waltz.

They had the singers and dancers on that show. What was up with the bubbles? LOL

He didn’t get into The Beatles or Elvis on Ed Sullivan, but I surely did! John was my favorite Beatle.

He was a Bing Crosby fan but mom was a Frank Sinatra fan!

We are a Catholic family so we watched Archbishop Fulton Sheen on Sunday evenings, but my family also loved Billy Graham.

My daddy grew up as a Protestant but converted to Catholicism before marrying my mom.

GA,

I love Newman! He and Redford were great in The Sting.

Clark was handsome! Rhett over Ashley, Right?
(2)

Paul Newman, especially in Exodus (such a powerful movie).  Nothing more needs to be said about him.

Those days are so long ago.  

Oh, and Clark Gable, especially in Gone With the Wind.

MysteryShopper, my mother loved Little House; I used to tape all the episodes for her, plus the Avonlea episodes.   She enjoyed both programs.
(3)

This is too funny because I was just talking about Bonanza with an acquaintance today and the talented Michael Landon. Remember "Little House on the Prairie?" I don't know if kids read those books anymore, but I loved them. The TV show frustrated me somewhat because there were things on the show that I didn't feel were true to the book series, but Michael Landon portrayed "Pa" in such an effective way. It worked.
(1)

Bonanza, oh my gosh I had such a major crush on Little Joe. Now a days, Ben Cartwright is looking good :)
(5)

MS,

Ahhhh, Robert Redford and Clint Eastwood! I loved them. Had a crush on both of them as a kid!

I guess the first time I saw Redford was when I was 12. My aunt took me to see Barefoot in the Park. Jane Fonda played the part for his wife. Adorable movie!

Remember Eastwood was in the old television westerns. I used to watch him with my grandpa. His character was Rowdy Yates.

Funny how we remember these things, huh?
(2)

Pronker - crone party? Not familiar with it.

NHWM- Twilight Zone was probably the first time I saw Robert Redford act. He was fabulous (of course).
(3)

Watching the Twilight Zone marathon and recognizing all of the guest stars!

So much fun!
(3)

Did anyone have an online or real life crone party?
(0)

I hadn't thought of "toilet water" in years & years. My mother wore "Charlie" perfume almost exclusively. My father never wore any kind of cologne or after shave - ever. Both mom and dad received random gifts of perfume/cologne in abundance - I think it was more common back then to make assumptions about what someone else would think smelled good. My mother told me the toilet water translation and I was both amused and appalled. Anyway, what did she do with all that unwanted perfume? She would indeed put a couple drops in the toilet because she liked the way the house smelled when she did so. She told me it "beats pouring the whole bottle down the drain." I suppose she's right.
(3)

GA: That's good that you don't feel it. I usually don't either.
(1)

Llamalover47, got you beat by 2 years!   I'm 76.   I don't feel it though.  And I refuse to act like an old woman, even if I look like one!
(3)

GA: I already KNOW that I'm old. I'm about to turn 74 in a little under 3 weeks. LOL.
(3)

CWillie and MarylePete, I'm getting a kick out of "toilet water" vs. eau de toilette.
(1)

LOL, the term "toilet water" is definitely a case of a poor translation! I'm sure that now you know that eau de toilette more correctly references the other definition of toilette, "the act or process of dressing and grooming oneself" (merriam-webster)
(1)

I remember my Dad giving my mother a bottle of toilet water for Christmas. Cologne was also referred to as toilet water, but I didn’t know that being little. I asked why he had to buy it when he could have dipped a bottle into our toilet and why was that so special? Made me gag to think of it and I never smelled it😱🙁😀
(3)

I remember the Xray machine in the shoe department,

My sister had piano lessons with the nuns and had her knuckles whacked more than once.

I remember the days when over a certain age - probably about 40 - you were supposed to keep your hair short. It wasn't "seemly" to have long hair unless it was kept in a bun all the time like my grandmother did, who, incidentally always wore black except when we were at camp. Gone are those days, thank goodness!!!
(3)

Thanks for posting. I knew all items - an interesting item could have been the fluoroscope/X ray device some department stores had for looking through your feet to see what size shoe you'd wear.
(3)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter