Follow

This isn't a question, but an answer. My husband subscribed to Spotify and I got a reduced price for my subscription. One day while sitting with my mom, 99 and bedridden at assisted living, I was trying to think of something to share. Then I remembered hearing the song Wind Beneath My Wings at a memorial service. So I opened Spotify, found the song and played it for Mom. Because of her hearing difficulties, she was not to understand the word. But Spotify has the lyrics in sync with the music.

So I selected that option and held my phone so she could read the lyrics as the music played. She loved it. She could hear it and she could read the lyrics as it went along. Her response was, "That's beautiful!"

Now I do it often for her. Her favorite song is The Gambler's Song by Kenny Rogers. This way she can enjoy it more fully.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
This is so cute! Thank you for your advice! I hope you will have many good days with your mom.
(0)

Very sweet post! I’m glad that you and your mom are able to spend time together sharing something that you both love.
(0)

This is lovely and I would think would help folks having habitually unhappy visits with elders. I recently watched AGAIN (for about the 15th time) the film Tender Mercies. The beauty of the country western hymns in it stick in my ear for a while like a comforting ear worm. I would love to have them played for me were I stuck in a bed and bored, and I think they would replay when the music was gone. Elders are good at music ear worms. Sometimes TOO good.

Oliver Sacks wrote a fascinating book on music and our brains called Musicophilia. I recommend it to all.
(3)

Thanks for the helpful info, may it bring some joy to your mom. :)
Mine is 91 and has always loved Kenny Rogers. I find it cute she also likes Kane Brown.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter