Follow

More than 800 patients were moved from seven nursing homes to what was described as a warehouse facility in Independence in Tangipahoa Parish a week ago, the Health Department said. It said that when health inspectors visited the center two days after Ida hit, they were "expelled" and prevented from assessing conditions.
Officials did not elaborate on the conditions at a news conference, but department spokesperson Aly Neel told The Associated Press that there were reports of people lying on mattresses on the floor, not being fed and not being socially distanced.
Gov. John Bel Edwards vowed an investigation, which he said will include whether there was an intentional effort to obstruct efforts to check on the patients and the shelter. Law enforcement agencies are already involved, officials said.
"At a minimum, when the situation degrades to the point that happened fairly quickly starting on Monday, then the owner, the homes, have an obligation to either move those residents themselves to a better facility or to ask for help," Edwards said, adding that the owner "did neither."

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
This is the fault of the State. They are to inspect these homes on a regular basis. That should have happened even with COVID.

"the owner, the homes, have an obligation to either move those residents themselves to a better facility or to ask for help"

This Govenor is very naive. These "owners" are making money off these residents. If not giving them full care, making a nice profit.
(1)

These residents were evacuated because of the hurricane. An investigation is ongoing.
(0)

Always, keep in mind that our society is free market capitalist. So this is to be expected. We cannot have it both ways - that notion is based on the idea that a majority of people, especially women, will do the compassionate work necessary in any society for little or no pay. That will leave a few who just can chase money and pretend that the capitalist society is working. A bunch of nonsensical smoke and mirrors and lies from beginning to end.
(3)

This is an isolated incident and I don't think we can paint all AL communities with the same brush. My mother has been in an AL community since November 2017 and her care has been fantastic. Yes, the costs are astronomical but you get what you pay for. No need to be "Chicken Little".
(2)

joelfmi118, this was an usual situation. The nursing homes were being flooded due to Ida, and they needed to send their residents somewhere. Times was of the essences, there wasn't time to search around. A warehouse offered their space, mattresses were brought it. It was a roof over their heads. Yes it was makeshift, but at least no one had drowned.

I remember a case in Texas where a nursing home got flooded to a point that water was up over the beds, and the residents were still there. Water flooded in faster than expected. There just wasn't time for a plan B. I forgot the outcome as this was years ago.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter