Follow

2020 has been a difficult year for everyone.
I was wondering what kind of challenges independent seniors are facing during these difficult times?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
It depends on what your definition of independent is. In my state, it means you can make the decision to go to DMV, change your address to someone elses address, get dropped off and they are stuck dealing with you when you can do NOTHING for yourself.

So, Medicaid cut off supplies for PPE, depends, wound care, etc to send to hospitals. Therefore, unless the senior or family can find things, there are now safety issues which increases financial burden.

Next, dr appts are video conferences or in person now but at first were email. So wounds for instance, you would upload images with rulers and such. Insurance companies were then denying claims for supplies or pain meds and them there was a 60 day appeal process.

Then there was the lockdown. That essentially gave people an out so they did not have to visit even though there was an exception. So an elderly adult has NO social contact with people who actually "care".

Aides which come into the home even just for companionship are in short supply so there is little to no help.

What exactly do you want to know?
(0)

Haileybug, I honestly appreciate that the admins on the site make decisions to move a lot of questions that are, in fact, general discussion questions, to "Discussions". It shows that they are active and monitoring the site.
Neiza is a new poster, and may be doing a research paper, or some such; has given us no profile at all. Question is very interesting one, but it isn't about AgingCare, really~ that is to say individual caregivers giving care to individuals, and having questions regarding that.
I seldom go to discussions at all. I think when questions have nothing to do with a real care questions for and about a real person. but are rather seeking general information, it is good when the question is moved to a place the admins feel it belongs. Just my opinion.
(1)

Wondering how posts get shifted around so much on this forum?
(0)

Seniors as in????
60’s and still working full time pre COVID-19
70’s and retired but healthy & on the Pfizer Covid vaccine trial
80’s and a merry old rooster widower
90’s and redoing your pallbearer list as yet another one has died

your question just too too wide
(1)

Nothing much, actually. After the initial 'lock down' was over, I went right back to life as usual, for the most part, but forced to wear a mask while shopping. Having window visits with my mother in Memory Care ALF, but inside visits will resume shortly. Still seeing my children and step children, husband still working full time............not living in fear and hoping to have no further shortages on items due to people hoarding for no good reason.
(4)

Perhaps a question that would work best for discussion group? Answering here to report.
(1)

Groceries. Were being hoarded so the supermarkets cancelled all online & collect or home deliveries. Eventually had these restored but this forced people INTO shoping in person.

Masks. Necessary but makes communication for hearing impaired hard, lipreading impossible.

Home maintenance. No non urgent repairs, including lawns so now knee high unable to safely use grasses areas.

Social isolation. Keeping away from family & friends.

But.

My many have mastered video calls.

People are getting a lot more things delivered. Saying this is quite convenient, I'll keep this up.

People have been forced to live more local but they seem to be adapting. I see neighbours talking more on my daily walks. Many walking to their closest shops. Many more bike riding & jogging.

Seen a lot of grey haired folk on shiny new bikes, shiny helmets & fleuro safety vests.
(1)

Neiza, you are new to the site, which is for carers to help each other. This seems more like a research question. It’s a complicated issue, people may not bother to answer unless you provide reasons for the question.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter