How do you cope, with all this, with laughter?

Follow

My Grandma had a stroke at the age of 100. After she came home from the hospital for hours she would say, "I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm dead." It would drive a person crazy. I would tell her she wasn't dead, she was here with me, trying to comfort her, nothing worked. She lived beside a funeral home for 60 years and knew the owner, whose name was Don, well for those years. One morning she started the "I'm dead" thing so I asked her if she wanted me to call Don and have him pick up her body. She said, "yes, I believe so." I said ok, that I would do that but first would she like a bit to eat before she went. She looked at me and said, "I believe I will have a little to eat before I go."

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
1 2 3 4
My grandma was a very sweet and loving woman and I was depressed and upset one day and said i just wish i was dead.. and she said, I wish you were too then we would have an excuse to get dressed up and go somewhere..of course we started laughing and although she has been gone for many years my family and I still get alot of laughs from that story.. and many more, I miss my grama..
(2)

My Step-Father finally arrived to the house for me to help him through his stroke/dementia trials. My Mom was already here.

My Mom is a gifted pianist and my Step-Father had a wonderful bass singing voice. That was part of their attraction to each other, they loved music. Me, I sang in the choir but was no way a soloist, if you know what I mean.

Since he loved to sing, I thought getting him started with a few songs would pass the time and have fun doing it. So, I started singing "Amazing Grace." I had not sang but a line or two when my Step-Father yelled "Whoa, Whoa, now, now, now. Let me help you out with that." And he began to sing and I shut up. I couldn't help laughing to myself and muttering, "everyone is a critic."

That's not the only time someone hasn't liked my singing. I was rocking my infant Grand-Daughter, only a few months old. I started singing Rock a Bye Baby, on the tree top when suddenly this precious baby girl whom I adored, placed her tiny hand over my mouth and held it there. After that, I just rocked her. : P
(2)

Recently Dad was in the hospital and he was noted as a major fall risk. Thus the hospital put an alarm on his recliner so he wouldn't try to walk without them knowing. Well Dad has a sense of humor.

While I was there, Dad started to get up from his recliner and the alarm beeping started. Dad had this grin on his face and said "I wish the hospital wouldn't keep serving me beans".
(3)

Susan, you have placed an image in my mind, it will show up every time I boil eggs. I promise to set a timer, sit and wait. Like sand through an hour glass, so are the days of our lives.
(1)

dingdingdingding! We have a winner!! MDKM, that was AWESOME.

Totally tops my story about the time I left eggs boiling on the stove and forgot about them while I showered....smelled this horrible stench and ran out to the kitchen wrapped in a towel, just in time for the eggs to explode into millions of eggshell shrapnel pieces. I dove to the floor, now naked (having dropped the towel) and curled into the fetal position to protect vital parts.
(2)

JesseBelle, there were no cops but I can tell you I had more honks, whistles and vulgar gestures, in that few moments, than all of my life, as a female, combined. : P

You know what, I still enjoyed my coffee that day as I went from almost tears to hysterical laughter after that experience.

It's just another story to tell the grandchildren when they get a little older. Oh, yes I can hear it now, "Hey Mam, something happened to me today, it was so embarrassing!" and I'll say, "Sit down Child, have I got a story for you."
(1)

gershun ,
im sorry but youve been upstaged . the crazy chick without any underwear has now totally displaced what i had going on there .
im going to buy a diamond engagement ring right now and youll be hearing back from me ,
momdoesntknowme .
(1)

momdoesntknowme ,
thats some damm funny stuff .
gershun ,
that whole story has given me somewhat of semi erection .
let me explain .
intimacy cannot be realized unless vulnerability is displayed . when we lower our protective walls and acknowlege our human limitations , only then are we reachable to people who , just like us , are insecure ( humble ) .
mr sensitivity here ;
the guy who just walked into a hospital and punched his closest friend in the jaw to roust her from her induced and much needed slumber ..
(1)

Oh, no! I'm glad there wasn't a cop car around. That would have completed your day. :D

ROFL
(2)

I enjoyed your stories Gershun, I am feelin' for ya. I'll tell one of my most embarrassing moments.

One morning I woke up and found there was no milk or creamer for my coffee and I will not drink it black. With a sigh, I threw on a t-shirt and those hippy jeans, you know the ones that barely hung on your hips. They were a little big on me, I didn't think to put on a belt, I needed my coffee fix.

The store was only a block away so off I went walking. I was on my way home with the creamer and, like most of us, we pick up a few other things while we are there. My arms were full of paper grocery bags. I was thinking how good my freshly brewed coffee would taste.

I decided to jay-walk in the middle of the block. As I took a few steps into the street, here came a car, squealing tires, headed right for me. Quickly, I decided I had better pick up my pace. Just then I saw another car coming from the opposite direction, oh boy, now I really needed to haul butt. I only had a few more strides and I would be safe. I was almost across the street when my jeans fell to my ankles, I managed to dive into the grass on the other side of the street to avoid the car hitting me.

I rolled around on the grass to gain my composure. When I did, I saw that I had forgotten to put on underwear.
(7)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions