Follow

Wanted to start making healthy low sodium meals for Mom so instead of a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket we bought an all natural, free range, organically fed chicken to bake. Baking directions did not include stuffing. Bought low sodium stove-top stuffing. I asked Mom if I should stuff the chicken with it. She was a good cook in her younger days. She said yes, that is how she liked it. Didn't know that it took hours more. One hr cooking time turned out to be several hours. The popper still hasn't popped up and I put the chicken in at 3:30 thinking it would be ready at 4:30. The drum sticks look tender but the stuffing inside doesn't look cooked. How long do I keep cooking? It was a 4.62 lb chicken. Mom waited 2 hours after her reg dinner time, I made a Silver Cuisine dinner she didn't like, then scrambled eggs. Could the chicken stuffed take 3 or + hours?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Did you make the stuffing first and then stuff. Or put it in dry. Stove top is not designed to be used to stuff a bird. The timer may have been defective. Chicken needs to be cooked well. A good way of knowing it's done is to wiggle a leg. If it's loose, it's ready. There is already cut stuffing cubes you just mix with seasoning and onions. I prefer fresh bread cubes you leave out over night. Then mix with butter, onions and spices. Then stuff the bird.
(0)

Why did you think it had a pop up timer? Was that listed as a feature? Did you see it when you put the bird in the oven?
(1)

Took the chicken out at 7:30 pm. It was falling apart it was so tender. Deboned the chicken looking for the pop-up. There was none. Will get a meat thermometer before I cook anything else that takes a thermometer. We cooked the chicken an extra 2 hours at 350. For an unstuffed chicken, it would have taken 1 hour. Wonder if the new roaster we just got is unreliable. This was a mess. My neck aches. Thank you all for your advice. I need to relax but am trying so hard to cook delicious healthy and low sodium for Mom.
(1)

I've never seen a chicken with a pop-up...only turkeys. I've had a few malfunction in my (whole body) turkey roasting days, so it may have been a dud.

You should make the Stove Top stuffing in a saucepan FIRST, then you can stuff it into the bird (if you have to) when it's done. A stuffed bird (at that weight) can take an extra 30 minutes to make sure the chicken is fully cooked.
I can't see why the stuffing wouldn't be "done" because it's already been fully cooked/prepared in the saucepan before you put it in the cavity. It may not "brown" well but it would be cooked.

The reason a stuffed bird takes longer is because the stuffing is dense and it has to heat up like the bird was pure meat from side to side, instead of an open cavity to let hot air circulate.
(1)

I wouldn't think so. Also I don't think the stuffing affects the time for the button to pop up. Maybe it's broken? That's a pretty big chicken, it should be at least 20 minutes per pound, and that's unstuffed I think. I'd use a meat thermometer in the deepest part of the thigh and breast.
(3)

Get a meat thermometer and stick it in the meatiest part of the chicken, usually the drumstick. The little pointer has to go up to 180 degrees or the “poultry” setting before you can consider it done. Sometimes those pop-up things don’t work. A meat thermometer is more reliable.
(3)

Part of the equation that you left out is "what temperature did you set the oven at?"

I Googled "cook a stuffed chicken, how long 4 1/2 pounds:

How long do you cook a whole stuffed chicken?
High heat method (this creates a crispy, darker skin):
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) and cook whole (thawed) chicken for 10-15 minutes.
Then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and roast for 20 minutes per pound.

In my book, you should NEVER put stuffing inside a bird; you cook it separately.

Also, did you prepare the stove top stuffing according to the directions and cook in on the stove top?  Or did you just stuff it dry into the bird.  Dry stuffing is not going to "cook" in any way. 
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter