Follow

This question my wife asks all the time It usually then follows up with “how long have we been here?” Or “what about our other home”. These questions are almost daily. Sometimes after waking up sometimes out of the blue. Sometimes the conversation goes “ your going to tell me that we haven’t been any where “. I usually just try to distract her and once that is done she settles down and is pretty normal - although short term memory is always an issue.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Mom is routinely disgusted with me at bedtime. As she gets into bed tonight her disgust question was where are all my cats? How will they find me here when they're clear up there? This makes no sense why I'm down here and they're up there by themselves with no one. They're not going to know where to go. They're all alone.

And on and on and on.

Mind you the cats are all curled up asleep in various spots, oftentimes right in mom's sight on her dresser.

My answer is a broken record: all your cats are in the house safe and sound. I repeat it word for word, after each question.

Sometimes mom mimics me like a broken record. Sigh.

It's just easier for me to repeat the same thing. Explaining or reasoning just takes you down a rabbit hole.

Maybe you can find a reassuring answer to repeat. This will make it easier on you and comfort your wife at the same time. She'll feel reassured and you will have less pressure to think of new answers.
(0)

One of my Aunts went through a phase where she asked if she'd eaten lunch yet, like every 3 minutes or so for a few hours. Bless you for your tender caregiving!
(1)

Answering repeated questions is part of dealing with dementia. It can make you nuts, it’s often followed by profound silence when it passes. Be as patient as you can with the answers, vary it up if you’d like as the answers won’t stick anyway. Don’t say anything you think would cause distress and bless you for being her caregiver and looking out for her. She’s blessed to have you
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter