Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4
OMG!!!! you are describing my 19 year old college student granddaughter. I don't have the shopping gene, she must have inherited it from her other grandma. I take a book and in my case my walker. I sit outside the fitting room and say "looks great honey" or "I am not sure of that color". If you have to supervise your mom closer you might not be able to do that. She is very frugal with money so I can't complain. I loved a lot of the other ideas, I hope it will work for you. I look at it as a time to sit down and read between stores.
(3)

You know, LorrieB, she just might be a bit depressed. That was my dx, many years ago now, when I (who LOVE to shop) couldn't make a decision about buying my daughter a badly needed snowsuit in the winter. I saw the doctor and amongst my many symptoms, the inability to make a decision when faced with an apparently overwhelming choice is the one that stands out. So perhaps you might want to look into that? Just a thought. (I've been on ADs now for abt 30 years, and would NEVER want to be without them again.)
Hugs!
(2)

Quite serious about that beating. Three hours of shopping is an agonizing, slow death. A good ass whoopin is pretty quick.
(4)

Windyridge - thanks for the laughs!!! That is great about taking a beating instead of shopping for 3 hours - I hear ya!!
(1)

My husband with dementia really can't make good decisions anymore, but yes, he can be opinionated! Also, he hasn't the energy or attention span to do extended searching and trying-on in stores. He hates shopping. The idea of simply ordering clothing to come to him, and to make decisions at leisure has worked the best. Returning items can be a nuisance, but with return mailing labels, not so awful as trekking back to stores!
(2)

My husband just died (Parkinson's disease) and my only regret is the too many times I lost patience and yelled at him. Wish I could take that back.
(3)

Midkid58, thank you, thank you. I hate shopping, too. I go for a purpose and get out. I'm not one to browse and browse. Hate the crowds (especially this time of year) and oh, boy, I hear you about "moving at a snail's pace". Help me, Jesus!
(1)

Just to give you an example of how frustrating my Mom (and brother) is, I removed all the little rugs she had around her little house because she's a huge fall risk. She's wobbly and unsteady on her feet, refuses to use a walker (she has three) and insists on going up and down the basement stairs backwards holding onto the railings to do the laundry (my brother "can't" do it right, according to her).

Well, my brother took her out "shopping" and lo and behold all the little rugs (tripping hazards) are back in her house. What???!!! I complained bitterly to my brother to no avail. He just lets her buy what she wants because it's easier for him not to confront/deal with her. It's beyond frustrating! She cries and whines if I even attempt to remove the offending rugs and if I do, they'll just reappear again. I can't win and am just waiting "for the call" that she's fallen again. Again, there's no "reasoning" with her.

Now with Christmas coming, she's going to insist on buying more "stuff" for her grandchildren (my kids who are now ADULTS). She still considers them 10 year old children and buys them all sorts of junk from the dollar store. I can't convince her to stop this practice. So, I try to appease her buy telling her I'll buy some stuff for the "kids" and she can shop from me. Gift cards or cash in a card (which I know they would appreciate) is not on her radar. She hates doing this and "insists" that she wants them to "open" something. Sigh.....
(3)

Lorrie--
I too hate shopping (well, you didn't say that, but it's implied) I shop online almost exclusively, so malls and stores--oh gosh, kill me now!
I take Mother to the grocery store and it takes minimum, 2hrs. She has to hug everyone in the store. The deli clerk, the pharmacist, the bakery person--it's enough to make a saint swear, And she ends up buying maybe $50 worth of groceries. We move at a snail's pace. She LOVES the attention, from me and (more importantly) from the store staff. They see her once a week and I have to say, they are very sweet to her. (I don't think I have ever hugged the butcher at my store). Mother never senses my impatience, and since I have to stay right with her, I can't go take a break. I also want to get it, get the stuff, get out--and I'm NOT a type A. But now I have learned to just go with the flow and lose my train of thought while with Mother. You are amazingly patient! Don't be so hard on yourself. I doubt your mom even picked up on your frustration--so let it go!
(3)

Hi LorrieB ~ I totally understand your frustration and completely sympathize and empathize. My 86-year old Mom and not been "formally" diagnosed with dementia but her short term memory is failing and when I asked her primary care doctor to perform a Mini-Mental Status Examination (MMSE) because she was having trouble remembering things, getting the words out she was thinking, etc, he wasn't the greatest at it. He asked her the cursory questions according to the MMSE, i.e. who the current President is, what day of the week it is, counting backwards by a certain number (in this case 7), telling her to remember 3 abstract words, etc. I watched as she answered some correctly and then struggled with other answers. It was heartbreaking. After we left the doctors office, I realized that he never went back and asked her to tell him the 3 words he asked her to remember! Geez. He's not a geriatric specialized physician but I'm not about to change her primary care physician now and upset her. She is very anxious and anxiety ridden (like myself -- I know I get this from her LOL) but I will not let him prescribe anything like Atavan, etc. for anxiety as this is counterintuitive for the elderly (The Beers Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults, commonly called the Beers List, is a guideline for healthcare professionals to help improve the safety of prescribing medications for older adults).

A generation or two ago, before physicians had scans, tests and a myriad of diagnostic tools for EVERYTHING, it was just the progression of "aging" that Mom (or Grandma, Grandpa or Great Aunt Susie) began to exhibit signs of "losing their faculties". Now, families want answers to "why" Mom (or Grandma, etc.) is just not acting right. They insist on doctors performing unbelievable expensive scans, MRIs, to diagnose what was simply aging related dementia and cognitive impairment.

Alzheimer's Disease and other dementia seems to be the most rapid cause of age-related decline and, unfortunately, there is NOTHING that can be done to reverse these affects. I've resigned myself to that fact. I'm just NOT going to put my Mom (and myself) through batteries of tests, making endless doctors appointments, trying this drug and that. She's 86 years old, for God's sake. I'm committed to making her last days as happy as possible (even if it kills me - LOL).

The stress of dealing with her up and down days is endless. I'M on Atavan just to deal with being a caregiver. The thought of taking her "shopping" puts me over the edge. I am trying and trying to being more patient with her but it's like dealing with a 5 year old -- because it is. She doesn't reason anymore and there's no amount of explaining to her why she "should" be doing something for her own good. Even though I do the majority of the "heathcare" caregiving, my brother LIVES with her and I do have to give him a lot of credit for that. He, unfortunately, does not have the compassion (and a short mean temper sometimes) to deal with his elderly mother's decline. It's so sad. So I try to go over there every few days to give her a change of scenery, if just to converse with her in a gentle happy manner.

When I do take her to her doctors' appointments, it's an ALL DAY affair because I am patient with her and do not "scold" her like my brother. She wants to go here (Walgreens), go there (just to pick up a few things), go to lunch, etc. It's something I can't deny her because I love her. But I feel SO GUILTY when I get a little short with her for not moving along. She walks at the pace of a snail. I am mentally and physically exhausted after these forays out into the world with her. But I try to remember she's 86 years old and I won't have her for much longer. I need the patience of Job! (smile).

So, LorrieB, hang in there. My advice would be to stop taking her shopping for clothes. My Mom (God love her) has been shopping from catalogs (Haband, the Paragon, etc.) for years and when she buys her "outfits" she has to have one in every color they make. Of course, everything needs to be shortened because she's not even 5 feet tall. So guess who has to do that sewing? (smile) Patience, patience, I tell myself.

I am a total Type A caregiver and I hear you. I just want to take over and "get it done" but again, I've got to remember that I'm not dealing with my Mom of old. It's a sad and heartbreaking reality to deal with an aging parent's decline but, in my own situation, I do this out of love for her. I know I need to put my own frustration aside and be there for her. It's the right thing to do.

As MarkJohn stated, you're doing great!
(4)

You are correct. Your Mom is changing. She knows it and she is upset by it. She wants everything to be like ti was, and she is impatient with her own incompetence. These feelings are contagious and you caught them a few times. As a child psychologist, I had pencils made that said "Stop, relax and think" Do the same. Take a deep breath or preferably three, calm your muscles from your head down to your feet and think of the memories you are building with your Mom.As uncomfortable as this time is, it is better than what's coming.
My husband loved going to hardware stores. As he entered the aisle with the small tools he said "Jewelry." When I asked, he said it was like a woman going into a jewelry store, he was so happy to touch the tools. A year later when we went, he said "Let's get out of here." He had forgotten the function and the names of the tools he loved and could not stand to see them anymore.
(2)

GREAT comment and advise ferris1!!
(0)

You can't rush unconditional love - or expect ourselves just to have it, it must be a journey to get there and for me it took almost 7 years - but it was worth it. All that matters is the continual effort and the going out of your way for each other and the creating a mountain of gratitude and appreciation for each other. I got good at creating outings, as we went on them every day - till the very last stage of dementia and the day before she passed away. Our interests merged and we did things that deeply supported us both. For us we were more than a 1000 picnics deep ;-) You've got the kindness and heart, it will get easier and harder before it becomes effortless - and it takes both of you to dance.
Oh yes, routine and novelty - get that balance right and it gets MUCH easier. Play and connection are the basic needs - get there and you're almost home.
And make sure you get your needs met - stand up for them with those around you, especially energetically - as your Mother needs to not feel like a burden.
You're doing great!
(2)

It might help you to hear other similar stories. I too am not a shopper but my mom, living with me, with Alz. was. She shopped and spent a lot of money on trinkets she didn't need, nor did I want my house cluttered with them. I would take her shopping, let her buy whatever she wanted, get home and leave the purchases in the trunk. The next day I would return it all. This went on for about a year but it made her happy in the moment, I didn't rob her of something she enjoyed and we were all happy. Once when I was returning purchases the clerk called the manager to the register, who informed me their system shows me doing a lot of returns. Once I explained why, I had a very compassionate experience which made future returns very easy. Give yourself some slack now because as your mothers condition worsens you are going to really need to pull from your reserves.
My mom passed away in May of this year, after 8 years of Alz. and I miss her every day! And... I lost my patience with her on more than one occasion, but now that she's gone I only wish I had another day with her. Think of your mom as if it's her last day and how you would treat her. When they are gone, they're gone. My prayers go out to you, it's the hardest thing you will ever do in life, but rewarding in so many ways.
(5)

I was just like you no patience at all .then I went to my dr he gave me something for anxiety.I don't use it everyday but if my lady is having a bad day I know my patience will be shorter.plus we all have to remember it's NOT THEIR FAULT THEY DIDNT ASK FOR THIS DECEASE.
(1)

Just writing that has made me miss my 'old mom' so much! Maybe I'll try inviting her out to go shopping with me this week and see if she'll go. Even if she only enjoys herself for a few seconds, it might be worth it.
(2)

So much good advice here. My husband and I deal with this with his mom, although for her it's household goods, not clothing. I don't know how many times one of us has taken her shopping for that 'one thing' she needs, like a bathroom rug, and been to every store that carries bathroom rugs in an attempt to help her find the right one! (And she never finds it.) On the other hand, just for some perspective, I'd give anything to be able to take my mom to a department store and get her to shop for anything. Her dementia is combined with treatment resistant depression, so for her there's no fun in shopping. She spends the whole time worrying about my dad being left alone, and has no opinions about any of the options on offer, whether it's a new toaster she needs or a new purse. I just shop for her, which does take away an activity she used to enjoy, but since now it's nothing but stressful for her, I don't see the point. And because of her anxiety about my dad, we can't stay out for more than an hour anyway. Plus he's calling every five minutes to find out when she'll be home! (He has middle stage Alzheimer's and they're in assisted living, so he's never really alone, but he worries about her constantly when she's gone.) Sigh. It's different for everyone, isn't it. Wishing you all a joyful holiday season and less-stressful shopping!
(2)

Okay LorrieB - whoever told you to be supportive (non vocal) ends with the dementia diagnosis. Having dementia robs the person of the ability to make decisions, therefore the caregiver must make those decisions. I can visualize you and your mom shopping with all the noise, other people and multiple choices of clothing to try on, which will always end in disaster! She needs less confusion and you need more patience dealing with others who do not understand the dementia process (young salespeople). It is okay to fill in her words because she is not going to be able to remember, it will cause more confusion for her, more anxiety for her (and you), and basically a stressful event. Maybe take her to a boutique with limited people inside, and it is okay to inform the salesperson she is dealing with a person with memory issues. Having dementia is not a crime, nor should it be a shameful diagnosis. It is simply a form of mental illness robbing the brain of its functioning. Once you be mom's advocate and speak up for her when she loses words, she will be more at ease. Since you did not do this activity before she became ill, don't do it now. Find some other activity that both of you can enjoy and have less stress. Merry Christmas!
(7)

I completely understand your impatience. I too hate shopping and everything about it. I also tend to want to take over rather than support. However, sometimes you have to take over. If it is apparent that your mother cannot come up with the words, then I think at that point, it is better that you help her out rather than allow her to become so frustrated that she melts down. I think helping is being supportive just as much as standing back and letting the situation unfold as it will. Sometimes we have to view our elderly parents in the same lense that we viewed our 3 year old children and act accordingly. Be jovial about it and mask your impatience. Once you've gotten her back to her house you can vent all the way home. I know this is hard for you on so many levels. I wish you well.
(4)

This reminds me of Christmas shopping with my grandkids. I love doing it, but I set up the boundaries before we begin: only 2 stores, only 2 hours, stated budget. That way the limits are agreed upon before we set out, and they aren't personal. The kids work against the limits, and we all feel successful. Same with my disabled husband. Before we run errands I tell him the time frame and number of stops. He can decide if that works for him or not. Nothing to be impatient about.
(1)

I 'd suggest taking along a good book or an iPad with some games you like, whatever you might occupy yourself with in a doctor's waiting room, find yourself a comfortable spot and let her dither to her heart's content.
(2)

Thank you so much for sharing. Yes, we are all meeting our parents for the first time when we become their caregivers. It is like raising a child, their personality develops with each encounter. My first advice is don't be hard on yourself. If you're going to take mom shopping, explain to her that you have only a certain amount of time. You shouldn't be made to be out all day shopping or any other activity if you have things to do. You need your time.
(1)

As a person who hates to shop, I truly understand your frustration. You are being a saint to do this with your mother. Think of it as a medical appointment or some type of therapy that you're doing for her rather than there's something wrong with you that you don't think this is fun.

I agree that she may be just out having fun and she doesn't really need to make a decision and/or it's part of the disease. Likely it's a combination of both.

I think you are being incredibly patient. Give yourself credit where credit is due. Caregivers are so good at guilting themselves. We are not all perfect, are not always patient.

Please keep updating us. Maybe just being with us you'll feel better.
Carol
(0)

I am not sure of your financial situation but you might bring in companion care once a week or twice a month to take her shopping to give yourself a break. Or search for an adult day care in your area to have her go do activities a couple days a week. Sometimes Caregivers struggle with patience because they are tired and overwhelmed. Down time and self care is so important to have the capacity to have patience. Also seeing a counselor can be helpful too. Being a caregiver is very hard work and self care is vital.
(1)

Oh and maybe while you're out, treat yourself to something nice too. You deserve it!!!
(2)

Hi Lorrie, pfontes gave great advice and to add to it. ..I keep repeating the mantra "mom can't help it, mom can't help it"...like others have said, it's not her or you, it's the disease. Also, since your mom is able to still go out shopping i respectfully don't agree with the catalog shopping approach. It's more than an outing to purchase something, it's an activity both physically and mentally. Although i totally understand how hard it is on you, make sure you set aside the time knowing that you're going shilling so you also don't feel pressured to do other tasks. It's better to do it less often, but well.
(3)

this is our approach:{q}It's not you, it's not mom, it's the dementia. Order her clothes from a catalog. Let mom try on clothes all DAY at home. Whatever doesn't fit, send back{eq}
I buy clothing on line from:
Buck and Buck
LL Bean
Amazon
(2)

Windyridge is too funny! And oh, how true. LorrieB, the same thing happened with my FIL when I took him to buy new clothes that fit. "But I don't wear that size" (anymore, ya mean?). It's not you, it's not mom, it's the dementia. Order her clothes from a catalog. Let mom try on clothes all DAY at home. Whatever doesn't fit, send back. I give FIL a pile of his shorts and shirts to "try on" and pick the ones that fit
(5)

Fellow caregivers, I came home last night exhausted and discouraged. I read through your wonderful responses and felt SO MUCH BETTER. Thanks for making me laugh and cry at the same time; thanks for taking a moment out of your own busy days to help out. And thanks for the suggestions! I suspect, in trying to be more patient, that I'm being more patient than I need to be. So I will set some realistic time limits and take breaks (for me or both of us) as you suggested. As I get wiser and better at this, I hope to be able to "pay it forward" when someone else needs support. Thanks again, everyone, truly appreciative...
(10)

Lorrie, do you need to be as involved in it as you are? Do you need to help your mom try on the clothes, or keep her from getting lost, or supervise her every second? I hate shopping, and when I take my Mom shopping I usually wait in the car and read books or newspapers on my iPhone, or text with friends, or surf the web, whatever. If I had to stand over my Mom while she deliberates over every item I think I'd jump out a window! As others have said, you're doing much better than I ever would!
(2)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter