Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4
I doubt it llama I couldn't but I am PERFECT as per acronym!!!!!

I just think a lot of use don't give ourselves credit for what we DO do. A lot of us think others could do it better - and a lot of others say things which we take as them thinking they could do better - let them try - PLEASE LET THEM TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes we need to step back and value ourselves for a moment. We are there, we do care that it is done to the very best WE can manage. It may not be pristine, it may not always be cordial but we are still there 24/7 doing our bit.

We do risk our health we do put our lives on hold for very little or no thanks and in many cases a lot of criticism and yet we still do it. We don't get paid or get paid very little for doing a job that saves the countries we live in billions and are not valued by them.

We have to value ourselves more - WE ARE WORTH IT
(3)

OhJude: I partially understand what you meant. An acronym is the first letter of a word, e.g. in this case, your P stands for patience, E stands for effective, etc. You get the message, right? In no way did I mean for it to turn out to be so religious. Although we can aim high, is there one among us caregivers who could say that they did everything pristinely?
(0)

Llama - we definitely ^^^^^
(0)

Llama definitively have crossed wires here.

I used PERFECT as an acronym and very tongue in cheek said we are all perfect because we fit the acronym

When you said the only perfect carer was Jesus the point I meant to come across was that would only apply to Christians - Buddhists wouldn't agree for example. I didn't mean only Christian could be perfect and I didn't mean there were any perfect caregivers in the sense of doing nothing wrong ever. For as we all know those who never do any wrong usually do nothing at all
(0)

OhJude: Indeed I am a Christian, but I was NOT a perfect caregiver.
(1)

Oh, Lorrie, were we supposed to be being patient? Oops.
(2)

Llama only if you are a Christian ! ^|^
(0)

Jude: No, none of us perfect, but we can aim high! Jesus was the only perfect caregiver!
(0)

no perfect caregiver eh? Hmmm
Present
Endeavours to stay sane
Reinforces the need to exercise
Fetches and carries the things LO can't
Establishes a routine that works for one person if not the other!!!! you know what I mean don't you
Cares about the emotional well being of LO despite other people's comments
Takes outsider's view to heart until you come on here and get the support you need.

We are all perfect!
(4)

Meant to say there is no PERFECT mortal caregiver. They don't exist.
(2)

I think when you care for two it must be incredibly hard. I find one verging on the impossible. That said, I have no sibling to speak of - he is not allowed near as he is a danger - and that is recognised by an injunction. It is the solitary confinement that can drive me nuts and those precious times when I do get out keep me sane. My daughter is abroad at the moment so I am doing time!
(2)

I am deeply touched by all the people who have weighed in on this topic; I was a bit taken back by Rich985, but his viewpoint is just as valid. Sometimes we need to be reminded of how precious this time is. I know I will be heartbroken when I lose my parents; both of them have Alzheimer's and I am caring for them as best I can... as their full-time caregiver (and with incredible support from my siblings, who take over on weekends), and in the first year of this commitment, I am learning SO MUCH about them as individuals, about dementia, and about who I am as a caregiver. I never had children, so don't have that experience to fall back on, but I can see the parallels. Again, thanks to everyone who gave heartfelt advice and tools to work with. My Mom can't be left alone, so taking breaks is probably not an option. I am using humour now, and the art of distraction, which is very positive and powerful! It's rare to hear my Mom laugh these days, so when she does, the world lights up. I will keep in mind how precious these moments are, will understand the need to keep outings shorter, and will continue to draw strength from all of you. Happy holidays and .... deep breath.
(3)

I did care for Dad but in a different way. Mum never handled illness well. She always had had the same thing but worse. Of course she couldn't say that when Dad became terminally ill due to the big C. So every weekend I drove 200 odd miles to come and care for him so she could have a break. While she met her friends and went shopping I prepared Dads week of meals, pureed them and plated them and froze them so she didn't have to cook anything all week . One meal for her and one frozen pureed one for him. I also made soups etc then in between I sat and chatted and laughed and had a jolly good time. He wouldn't talk about dying - he hated the thought of it and was the sort of macho man who never wanted morphine. In the end there was no real choice to be had - and the morphine certainly speeded up what would have been an even more painful more drawn out death. I suspect if he had had dementia it could well have been different though. As it was he was so kind so remorseful about me caring for him and so gently touching that the gift of care, for him, was indeed a privilege.....not so for Mum but that isn't just the disease although it is 70% the dementia. I find her dependency personality disorder much more frustrating, that and the fact that while I love her i don't like her
(2)

ohJude it is the damn disease...

I too loved my Dad greatly but if it was him I was caregiving for instead of Mom I fear he wouldn't have looked so wonderful in my eyes ...
(2)

I think that everyone to one degree or another loves their parent - they don't have to like them and they are allowed to hate the disease that is slowly but inexorably taking them and to hate the way that works. It is actually quite sad to see my mum go from being able to open paint tins with a screwdriver, to the state now where she can't open a chip packet. To see her go from being able to walk 3 miles into town and swim 1/2 mile every day to someone who can't walk unaided. But worst of all is that she went from someone for whom figures were critical - she was a bank manager and now her only understanding of money dates way back probably to pre WW2. She thinks groceries still cost under a pound - I told her yesterday that the shop came to 115 (I had to get some hygiene products for her as we had run out and that pushes the price way up) She said why can't you tell me in shillings - again we haven't had those since 71. I changed the subject - she would have been horrified if she knew how much that was really. She think that it costs in your money about 6 cents to go to the theatre bless her.

I have a horrible feeling that I will grieve hard when Mum dies, not for the mother I lost but for losing the last tie to my father who I loved liked and adored
(4)

Venting amongst those in this safe forum who we expect understand what we go thru does not mean we love our parents any less. It's just hard and we need support. It's like people who complain about their kids. It surely doesn't mean they don't love them.
(6)

I love Mom but its hard to see her with Dementia. Its very hard for me to adjust that one day she knows something the next day she doesn't. She has a hard time putting the right words with what she is thinking. Its frustrating trying to figure out what she is trying to say. We go out to dinner almost all the time. She is now, after a year, in a daycare 3x a week. Helps. The one thing is, I don't like doing it all. Just having her would be one thing but I have her house and bills I have to keep on top of. Cleaning it out. A physically disabled nephew she took in who doesn't drive. TG for my grandson who drives him where he needs to go. Before this though, it was me. Keeping up with her appts., his and mine. I retired so I didn't have to think anymore.
(2)

Rich--
I am so sorry for your loss. I think that most of the people who are on here (myself included) are super frustrated with caring for elderly parents. I had zero issues when caring for my dying dad and wouldn't have posted anything "helpful". Not everyone is blessed with parents who loved them and whom they miss so much when they pass. You were, and for that, be grateful. We don't get to choose our parents, but we do have to deal with them--and it can be hard. I'm sorry you felt someone was saying something that "sickened" you. I'm glad you loved your own mom so much--and I'm sure it was reciprocated!
(3)

Today I took mom to get her nails done, yesterday it was shopping. She's 80 and lives with my hubby and me. I stay at home to care for her: mild dementia, very bad arthritis, autoimmune issues of the bowel. The nail person started badgering me to upgrade mom's mani/pedi, then mom started her usual small talk with the nail tech, to which I'm supposed to fill in the missing words, complete her semi-sentences and be the puppet for this small talk. Arggh! After a full day yesterday of mindless blather I couldn't take it. I got up and moved to another part of the nail salon to avoid these mindless gibberish. It aggravates me. Next time I'm going to drop her off at the salon, pick her up when I'm good and ready, and they can blather until the cows come home.
(1)

LorrieB, please do not be mad at yourself because most, if not all of us, have the same thoughts and actions. We are caregivers not Mother Teresa. Losing your patience and getting angry are so normal and we can't help that these normal emotions bubble up sometimes. My mother passed a few years ago and I am now caring for my wife but I still remember those LONG afternoons with my mom, taking her to all parts of town. She was a chronic "big lots" shopper and I finally figured out that she was just bored and this was her form of entertainment. If she found something inexpensive for the grandkids, even better. Sometimes, I thought maybe she was just wanting company and didn't want to go home. So, she may just want to spend more time with you doing something besides sitting at home.
Same with my current situation, I try to see some positives and see the humor in our crazy situations.
I wish I had better advice but sometimes there are just bad days and we are allowed to have them, too.
My issue is patience and I do try to do everything for my wife. I correct her and I tell on her to the doctor when she is not following orders. I don't mean to do it but I have trouble looking the other way. It's hard for us type A caregivers.. But, I also give her excellent care and I do almost everything so that she can try to enjoy the time she has left. She didn't ask for the disease. Of course, neither did I.
It sounds like you are being a good daughter and doing the best you can. Take pride in that and give yourself a break. We can't take on these challenges and then beat ourselves up for not being perfect.
(3)

Rich985 -- Our deepest condolences for the loss of your Mom. Most of us here on this forum are here because we are frustrated, exasperated, angry, generally want to vent or need/want answers or know that others are going through the same fears/frustrations/sadness. Make no mistake, the majority of us love our parents dearly and will surely miss them when they pass. You didn't say which post "sickens" you but based on the timing of your post to the previous one, it may have been the poster who said there are no perfect caregivers; they don't exist?

Llamalover47 is right. No one is perfect, we all have our flaws and if that means you think we are ungrateful or uncaring about the trials and tribulations of caregiving, you're dead wrong. I complain alot about the frustrations of dealing with my rapidly declining Mom. But I love her dearly and will surely miss her when she passes. Everyone needs to vent, needs someone to talk to; otherwise we would surely all be in the funny farm. Again, our deepest condolences.
(5)

When pushed to the edge, I remind myself that I can't "fix" him. I'm doing the best I can. They can push your buttons, but we need to step back or do something kind for our self so we won't explode. Luckily we have this site and all that participate to offer kindness, hugs and helpful information. I feel they are all in the same boat, and helping bail a sinking ship. Some are sinking faster than others. Save yourself, so you can help others too.
(3)

Again, no mortal caregiver exists!
(0)

You've gotten some great replies, so I'm mostly responding to the shopping or going out piece of this. If this is already mentioned somewhere, sorry to repeat. Routine is important so on Saturdays, assuming mom wants to go out or can be encouraged to go, I always start out by taking her to an early dinner at a local cafeteria first. Why? Because as we're eating I can gauge if she's up for another activity or not and have ideas on what they might be. It could be mall shopping or maybe ice cream and picking up a few groceries. I do this every time so she knows what to expect.

The meal is relaxing enough and I'll ask her want to do this next and she'll tell me. Whatever it is I limit it to an hour unless she's on a roll, but you have just go with it many times. But I can say, without fail, that having that sit down meal first forecasts what's to come or not.

Quick word on the impatience, breathing, breathing, breathing. I know that's been mentioned, but moving away and taking several deep calming breathes really have saved me many times! And then I come home and kickbox:-)
(6)

I suggest limiting the amount of time in a shopping trip; too much sensory overload and environmental stimulus can increase her frustration and complicate her ability to make decisions. Try asking her if she wants you to help make the decision. My husband used to love going out to eat but had trouble focusing on the menu ( so many words were impossible for him to make sense out of) and when I offered to choose for him, he said yes and seemed very relieved. You are there and in spite of frustration we all feel, you are her anchor in this world of confusion. Don't beat yourself up, it doesn't help.
(6)

I'm curious Rich. What post is it that sickens you and why?
(2)

First of all, you need to appreciate the time you have with your mom. I just lost my mother October 16th and it sickens me to think about what you just posted. Hold your mom and tell her you love her.
(0)

If there was a perfect caregiver, it must have been Jesus. There are no mortal perfect caregivers; they don't exist.
(3)

When my daughter was a teenager I'd bring a book to read while she tried on clothes. It's not really that different rt? Lol How about bringing your smart phone and write to us for support next time.
(3)

I don't have patience. I would never take my Mom shopping because I don't like to shop. She wouldn't last long anyway. She was not a shopper only bought what she needed. I know her size and taste so I just go ahead and get her what she needs. God love you.
(1)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter