Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4
Hey gals - perhaps you should start a new thread? It might be good to have a discussion about meds and other relief for caregivers?
(0)

Yep---little side trip went on there...back to the original post...What do we do to deal with our own impatience?? (Besides listening to the Stones??)
We vent, for one, and get off track, just like friends do when they're chatting.
One thing I think caregivers MISS is the ability to just have a conversation (like this thread) that IS NOT about caregiving, their loved ones decline, etc. I know my hubby will happily listen to me "complain" about mother for about 5-10 minutes, and then he gets this look that says "OK--let's move on". Being able to say what we feel in a safe place is one way we ALL seem to cope without losing it.
(2)

You're absolutely right, MidKid. At the beginning of this adventure, I told my siblings "Please don't make every conversation we have all about Mom and Dad... I still have my own passions and interests and I need you to be interested in those as well as what I'm doing during the day." Of course, they still need to be reminded, but it's very frustrating when you only have an hour or so to chat, and most of it is all about the caregiving....as opposed to "Who won The Voice?" :)
(2)

Just to clarify because I have been inboxes I meant sleep deprivation is a killer. Purely because we can do things so totally out of sync and without focusing effectively enough to keep ourselves safe. Not meds - if you are prescribed meds you take them as prescribed. Sorry for the confusion people xxxx I haven't had sleep!!!!! See what I mean
(0)

LorrieB, its funny but I have, for a long time, had the opposite issue where I never talked about what was going on with me. I always focused on my wife, the patient. So, any discussion was directed at her issues and her care and never about me. So, I had all this built up stuff like, anger, resentment, fear, etc. and a counselor recommended that I discuss it more often. I would feel guilty about talking about my issues when my wife is the one with the disease but I now understand that we are both in this thing together. It has really helped.
I do understand that we don't want to talk about it all the time and certainly it gets old always having to give everyone an update and always the first thing we talk about. We need distractions, for sure.
But, it is good to talk and share. That's why I am here!
OhJude, I get it now and yes, I was confused a bit. Getting our rest is essential to giving good care and keeping ourselves healthy. I wish I could just turn off my brain at night sometimes.
(2)

I have only just had time to sit and read through all the comments and can i just say each and everyone of you are marvellous.... and "mothers helper" thats just hillarious and i love the openness of everyones circumstances. love to you all for xmas
(2)

OhJude: Yes, of course, the Stones reference. Thanks! No one wants to get on benzos for very long. Keith Richards was hooked on everything under the sun ....or moon!
(0)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter