Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Rainey69, thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm 48 and haven't menopaused yet. Nor have I been diagnosed with premenopausal conditions. And I'm far from wealthy. I just sacrifice my wants and needs for my mom's. I would donate a kidney to get a night's rest in a hospital I'm so tired. When I'm exhausted combined with frustration and anger I tend to shut down and get quiet. It's my way I guess to keep from exploding and saying horrible things. My body suffers terribly when this happens as when the moment passes I am unreasonably sleepy and I am so sore I feel like I've been hit by a car. Meanwhile my mom is miserable because I haven't really spoken more than a few monosyllabic words (yes, no, fine, etc) to her during the shut down phase. I feel I'm just an episode away from a stroke/heart attack/mental breakdown.
(8)

Heart2Heart,
Just had one a few weeks back. The problem is in order for me to really benefit from them, I need to go once a week. I am sure you know they are not cheap and adds up quick. The last one I went to (this new spot close to home) offered more reasonable prices. I can say it merely scratched the surface of a mountain. What I really need is a hot tub with lots of jets! Eventually we will get one because husband knows I could really benefit but we have other things that are in critical need re $$, outside of house needs repair from rotton boards and needs paint.
(3)

One thing I really dislike about being a live-in caregiver is that the doctor assumes you'll be available to do something every two hours. Doctors really ought to stop assuming that the only reason a caregiver breathes is to serve their care receiver.
(7)

Rainey... I really... really do think a massage would help... a little... (It's miserable feeling badly like your are...)
(1)

Babygirlga,
I can relate to the fatigue and overload feeling. I do not have an outside caregiver, Mom would run out of money quickly and I am far from wealthy enough to afford it. However, I also notice that I am also going through (my pre-change of life) which has greatly affected my energy, mood, occasional hot flashes and lots of other annoying things. I don't know how old you are but if you haven't gone through that lovely stage yet, could be part of what is making you even more miserable than you would be under the already trying circumstances you are in. I am often wiped out with crashing fatigue, my normally clean house gets put on the back burner because my energy literally goes to zero. This has really ramped up in the last few months. My emotions are much higher now, like constant PMS symptoms, crying more, irritated easily, overwhelmed. Sometimes it's hard to figure out because we are living stressful lives with a lot of responsibility so is it caregiver burnout or the change of life or (gulp) both! I know I am dealing with both which makes it so much worse. I remember when my Mom went through it, she was working full time as an RN and raising 4 kids still. She would freak out over the mildest things and us kids would be looking at each other like, "What the ????" Totally over reacting to stuff, crying, etc. We finally figured it out. I cannot take hormonal pills because I get even more unpleasant side effects so I just have to roll with it and pray to God it does not get drawn out over several more years. I loved to garden, now no energy, any chore I must do, I get wiped out afterward and my body hurts for it. I must be careful what I decide to take on now knowing the price I will pay after. Doesn't make the caregiver responsibility any easier and you find yourself wondering how much longer can you keep this up, right? No breaks, no vacations, just a never ending list of "gotta do this and gotta do that." I joked with Mom that I wish I could be on an Ativan drip. Hang in there and if you have already gone through peri or menopause, forgive my long winded guess. I can't think of a more trying time to go through the change than having to be a caregiver to our parent at the same time!
(2)

My mom is 86 with dementia. I work a fulltime job and have a caregiver to help me when I'm away from home. But I do everything. Cook breakfast, prepare lunch, dinner, baths, medication administration, transportation, etc. The sitter is just here to make sure my mom doesn't burn down my house basically while I'm at work. I've never been so tired mentally and physically in my entire life. I'm too tired to do most things. My house is a wreck. I am too tired most days to even bath myself. I have no joy. I cry at the drop of a pin or get angry at the smallest thing. I've been put on Lexapro which helps some, but I'm just exhausted.

I'm actually on vacation this week. Vacation just means I'm not going to work. I'm at home. I can't afford a vacation nor could I go without having to take my mom since none of her other living children would take her for me. So, I've been sleeping all week, when she sleeps. That's vacation for me.
(4)

Hello, My issue is I am dealing with a 92 year old father, frail with the beginnings of dementia. However, that is not the issue. It is his verbal abuse. He has always been seemingly nice to others and verbally abusive to his family-which is common among bullies. But I am at my wits end with his ugly scowl and screaming and nasty jealous comments. There is NO EXCUSE FOR ABUSE, NONE! I will be getting married in about a year or so...just got engaged and I do not want him in my marriage. He is so nasty. I know my other sibling don't want to take care of him. I have no problem being a care giver but his abuse has escalated and I'm the only one he speaks to that way.
(2)

Great point Blackhole... subtlety, unknowingly, we seemed to be 'groomed' and teathered to an unvisible embilical cord that is tough to cut. I understand completely. That's when things get so muddled up the you can hardly think straight, let alone try to describle this to anyone (even if you could, most wouldn't care). It's like being in a straight jacket you can't untie sometimes. That's why we have to get away when we can, even if it's minutes... but, anything more than an hour or more is best.
(2)

Being my mother's lifeline was something I never aspired to. (If that sounds awful, so be it.)

I never dreamed that my mother's personality and abilities would change so much AND I'd be her lifeline.

Longer ago than I realize(ed), Mom was deliberately covering up and whitewashing her early issues. As mom's undiagnosed disorder progressed, some of her weird accounting was "actually" true in her mind.

I mistakenly thought I was dealing with a competent (albeit quirky and increasing self-centered & difficult) adult. That ship had sailed.

Mom and I were living in 2 different worlds -- in every sense of that phrase -- and it was all on me to adapt to her world. She sure as h*ll wasn't adapting to mine. Couldn't if she wanted to.

We caregivers are constantly playing offense AND defense in someone's else's alternate reality. It creates a stress that we can't "leave at the door."

[And no, I didn't live with Mom. So technically I'm on the wrong thread. But thought I'd chime in.]
(3)

Erin,
Just remember to cut yourself some slack dear, none of us are perfect. I grew up with the Irish Catholic guilt so it's kind of a way of life, LOL! Just a bit of perspective and empathy can get you through rough spots sometimes.
(2)

Rainey. It truely depends on the baby. Lol. Mine didn't sleep through the night till she was 8. But. Yes I understand. Babies come with nothing except potential. No property. No money. Just promise for hopefully a great future. We were once their babies. And I guess I was trying to say that I wish I had the same love and patience for my mom as I did , still do, and hopefully always will have for my daughter.
(3)

Rainey...You have (all) that right!... So many people around me.., 'friends', neighbors, relatives.... have/are going on the trips I dreamed of at this point in my life. I did squeeze (literally) a trip to Poland Sept 2015 and a trip to Daytona before that, but I can't leave my mother at this point... oh well... I also think God spared me the pain I may have 'suffered' with having children, because I'm so sensitive and I think in this world I would have worried myself to death (so, now it's the 'cargiving' that'll do me in). Anyway, that's the way it is, and I'm fine with it. Not everything is for everyone... eh? I hope you can squeeze in something good and out of the ordinary for yourself to make you happy... I've been in the garden and forcing myself to get out with (my few... you know... caregiving took care of the 'other') friends, even if for an hour or so. Well... time to try and get some sleep... I wish you s w e e t 🍰🍉🍒🌽🍇🍓🍭 dreams... We'll chat again soon... 😘
(2)

Heart2Heart,
My kindred spirit, you just nail how I feel and say it as if we were experiencing the same life. My Mom can't understand why I hate going shopping, it seems like everytime I leave the house, gotta go to the darn store for something. Food and drugstore for Mom, food and petstore for husband and I, food and drugstore for the little lady I do part time caregiving for, it's never ending! What an exciting life we live, the envy of all our (used to be) friends. They are out going to shows, trips, wine tasting, enjoying their lives, and we are at the grocery store, AGAIN! Woo hoo! Oh, and AMEN about the world going goofy, talk about the constant Twilight Zone seems like the new norm. I feel so old saying that but jeez, it really is getting so looney.
(2)

Erin,
A baby is so much easier than an adult! A baby is free of adult responsibilities, money, property, possesions, they are growing stronger and healthier and learning new things. Your parent has property, money to now watch, protect for them, pay their bills, they are going the other direction. Their bodies and or minds are failing, they are much harder to dress, give baths, transfer on and off toilets, chairs, beds. Makes a baby seem like a cinch! I decided not to have kids, because I did not want the responsibility. Also, I remember clearly the h*ll Mom went through with the 4 of us as teenagers. No thank you!!!! It was mayhem in our house growing up. Now my brothers are M.I.A when it comes to assisting Mom, so it's all me. However, they are sure to paint me out as the bad guy because Mom chose me to be her caregiver, they have no clue what life is like with her now. Guess there is another reason I am glad I did not have kids, I'd be bouncing off the walls in a rubber room now when the men in the white coats came to get me! LOL! I know there are caregivers doing both, God Bless them, I don't know how they manage it all.
(3)

Whew!... Let me know if anything changes Erin... 😜
Sleep well... 💓
(1)

Not yet. Lol
(1)

Oh, thank goodness!!! I was beginning to wonder!!!! 🤣
(2)

Hope so. We aren't dead yet. Lol
(1)

Promise?!!!!.... Thank you Erin!!!!!...
🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🐠🌴
(1)

Heart to heart. Agree totally. We are older. So much older. And the beach. We ll have it again some day
(1)

I think for so many reasons we are more stressed (when caregiving)... We're older (wiser?), sadder, more compassionate/empathetic, scared (as, we're trying to be strong), dealing with siblings... ever-learning/researching... while we watch the clock tick and we sometimes feel helpless, as the world is going goofy... And, we're  trying.... trying to have some semblance of life as we pay the (never ending) bills and maintain our homes, cars, hair, teeth, health... (socialize?.... ha!)... buy groceries... cook.... dr visits... drive... check/fix the computer/gadgets so we're not hacked... drive some more...(try to 'protect' our parent (or?)... oh yea... go to our jobs (if we have one)... more driving... All of a sudden, we realize we're living the life of (at least) two people (us and the one we're caring for)... a balancing/tightrope act... sometimes too much to bear for one person... Whew!... Now, where's that beach?!
(5)

I wonder if any one shares this thought. When you have a baby , you change their diaper, feed them., wake up several times a night. Basically devote your life to his or her life. Child proof the house. You do all you can for your baby. You know the second you see this person , you would gladly die for him or her. So I guess my question is , since we are doing the same thing ,decades later for parents , why is it so much more stressful.
(0)

Rainey. You said it perfectly. You are so right. I never have had to care for any one with dementia before. So this was like being in a twilight zone show for me . Your parent is normal , fine , fun for years and then. Wow. Atom bomb hits. But you are absolutely correct. We all do the best we can
(2)

Erin,
I think dementia is indiscriminate, kinda like cancer and some other awful diseases. No, we did not give them dementia but I am pretty sure it's nothing they would have signed up for either. Yes, we feel guilty, and I am sure it's partly because we remember all the things they did for us when we kids and even as adults, they make sacrifices when we need them. No, they aren't perfect, they probably made mistakes, just as we do. Now, we care for them, we get frustrated, maybe lose our composure from time to time. We feel guilty. Deep down beyond the frustration, we know they can't help their behavior. We have good days and bad days, just like they do but in different ways. Somedays we don't feel like dealing with helping our parent by repeating things over and over, watching them become more helpless and dissapearing before our eyes......it's painful. Somedays, you are blessed with a little more clarity from them where you catch glimpses of who they were prior to dementia. Good days and bad for both of us.
We feel trapped and unless we are wealthy, we are. We cannot afford to bring in outside help for respite or parent does not want it. We feel robbed of freedom, our careers and many other things. It's easy to feel upset and angry and it is not wrong to have those feelings. I really do understand. I got upset with her today for her stubborn, spoiled bratty behavior because I wanted her to quit relying on pills to go to the bathroom without difficulty, she rebuffed. Just trying to help. Breathe. Tomorrow is another day.
(2)

Why do most of us feel so guilty? I do too. It's like our parent becomes some czar and we become refugees? I know that's a gross exaggeration but why do we allow ourselves to get to the point where with out this site , we may feel more isolated and desperate ? We didn't give them dementia. We are doing more than we ever thought we would have to. Yet we continue in essence to put them first.
(5)

I have been caring for my 87 year old mother for about the past 10 years or so. She has alienated my two daughters, they couldn't deal with living with her. We had to move into her house to help as it was all handicapped equipped. So now we constantly hear "This is MY house"...she has a dog that is terrified of thunder, she has literally torn the kitchen door to shreds (aluminum door) scratched the frame of the door, torn the wall apart in my mom's room, torn siding off the outside of the house and has to take Prozac to sort of cope. She has to be tied outside when we go away so she can't get to the house to destroy it further. My mom over feeds her, she is almost 40lbs over weight according to the vet. My mom is a hoarder, I do my best to keep things from building up too much but she finds SOMETHING to hoard. Now it is disposable underwear. She has so many boxes in the spare bedroom, and in three different closets in the house. She runs the electric bill twice as high as it should be, it constantly runs between $250-300 or more a month. She runs water, lights etc. for no reason. She washes her broom constantly, she will wash one item in the washing machine almost daily. I just replaced my $700 washing mashing machine with another $800 machine. I told her the sales people said with our hard water in Florida, it is not good to run them every single day. Doesn't matter, she does what she wants.

I make most of her doctor appointments, schedule transport for them, pick up her prescriptions, try to take her to stores (when she feels like going, then when she doesn't she gets mad when I can't take her) My brother lives in MA, he is supposed to be driving down her to get her for a couple of months, which is appreciated. But, he doesn't completely understand what I deal with. I have told him but he doesn't seem to believe me. She bad talks his wife (in my opinion, for NO reason, other than she is not happy unless she is miserable) She doesn't like my husband either.

I love my mom but I can't stand how horrible she can be. She has a parrot that is not in good health, she doesn't have the money to take him to the vet so she agreed to let me take him to a parrot rescue. At the last minute she changed her mind. I was very upset over this and she said he would die in her house because only she can take care of him and she didn't care if I never spoke to her again. That was pretty hurtful. I have done nothing but try to help.

I am bitter and angry that I am dealing with this. I work full time, I have a bad back and two years ago my husband hurt his back at work. He is dealing with worker's comp, and she yelled at him and told him he needed to get a job...which he can't of course. She was just recently at the hospital (she was fine, I think she is trying to find excuses for not going to my brother's for the summer) and she called me saying how horrible everyone was to her at the hospital. This is the same no matter where she goes. She makes everyone miserable. I am ashamed that I feel this way about my mother, but I can't keep dealing with it. I can't leave, especially now with my husband not working.

I am so tired of dealing with everything alone. My husband is tired of the way she treats me, plus he has to stay home and listen to her every single day.
(4)

Old codger, your post broke my heart. To think that she had driven you to the point of contemplating suicide is just so sad. I agree with everything you said: we do not have to die for our parents. Your honesty is heart wrenching. No one can judge unless they have been in your shoes. Just reading your post made me feel trapped and suffocated. That's how I feel around my mom. I have never felt that way raising and caring for my son. He shows gratitude for all that is done for him and he reciprocates with love. I would never expect him to take care of me. For as long as I am able I want to take care of him and one of the ways I plan on doing so is making sure I have money set aside for a NH or whatever care I need. Most importantly I want to stay as healthy as possible so I don't require his care. I can't do that if my mother destroys me with her demands. We cannot ruin ourselves caring for our parents because our children need us.
(7)

Yes it definately puts a strain on everything. Job, finances, freedom, marriage, exaserbates any dysfunction already brewing in a family, your own health and sanity, loss of your social life, no vacations, plans of your own retirement, usually because the task ends up being allocated to one sibling and the rest just duck out because they feel YOU have it all under control and they need not be involved. Friends dissapear because they don't want to hear about the b.s your life has now become. Yeah, it's a picnic. Oh yeah, always feeling you are on stand by for the next shoe to drop. Sorry, feeling kinda crabby today.
(6)

Yes ... We (caregivers) definitely need diversions!... Good job Sybnann!... and, advise... reminder (when we get so wrapped up, we tend to forget ourself). Have a nice Memorial weekend!... And, thank you to the Military for their sacrifice and service!
(1)

Well, when I am able to cope, I do so by dancing twice a week while my precious angel daughter relieves me so I can. I also see friends at these dances at the local senior center and the American Legion. When I cannot leave, I take care of mom and then go isolate myself for a while, in my room. It is not much, but it does help some. I also suggest that anyone really struggling should consider keeping a journal, or do some creative writing, and reading a very intriguing book so that your mind can at least escape. I do feel your pain after caring for my mom for over fifteen years.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter