Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
But you are right. It is h*ll. Heart to heart
(2)

Lol heart to heart. No seriously. Typo
(0)

Freudian slip... 😰
(1)

Sorry again. Can't edit. Helps
(0)

Helos
(0)

Hi NoRecess. I was where you are a few months ago I re : to despair and desperation . I truly wouldn't have cared if I was hit by a truck , or struck by lightening. The overwhelming loss of freedom when being the one on one care giver is devastating. Takes complete control of your life. So I may be misinterpreting your post and if i am , I apologize. The only thing that helps me is this site. I know I'm not alone. There are many of us , every day , doing all that we can and for me , the realization , that so many of us do the impossible , daily , gives me strength. Hope this hells
(4)

I understand NoRecess... Actually, in some cases the scenario is a bit reversed... Like having my mother move/live with me... My life has and will never be the same again either.... It does screw up your head in ways you never imagined and sometimes, you forget who you were (are?)...
(8)

After much effort at being the A++ caregiver to an angry, abusive, over-the-top hateful mother, I have stepped back my efforts and now do only what is necessary. I do not spend time with my mother. Apparently, all those years of not being close have resulted in more of the same. We do not get along, and I have accepted it. It's sad, but it is the cold harsh truth. She refuses the care of doctors and medications. She doesn't eat properly and watches television all day every day. Her standard of life is poor, but so is mine. I am 60 years old and have very few job prospects in this small town. I am horribly bored, but discipline myself to exercise for at least half an hour a day. That's it. That's my day. The rest of my time is spent reading and/or watching television. I sometimes get aggravated by her inability to want more out of her life, but then I realize my life is the same. I fantasize about leaving and starting my own life again-- I left my home and life in the city a year ago-- but imagine it would probably result in being called back into 'service' of caregiving in no time at all. My brain is turning to mush. I am aging at a rapid pace. I am depressed, bored, anxious, angry, resentful, etc. My life is over. I am quite sure of it.
(8)

That's true Patti... We try the best we can and take each day as it comes... God Bless You!
(1)

Remember that one day maybe I'll be 85 & can't remember or hear or see anymore.That gets me through the day,Pattiblue
(2)

Extremely tough position Patty... You'll have to get very creative... back off slowly maybe.... little by little....
(1)

Then my husband wants me to sleep with him :( HOW CAN I?
(4)

I can't stand cleaning poop all day long!! Argghh!#!
(3)

Brian: I admire your strength and resilience in taking care of your mom. Thank goodness you have no distractions to hinder you. Parents sacrifice for us all their life. Most do anyway!! Keep doing what you are doing but remember to find some YOU time!!
(0)

Thank you for sharing your heart rendering story Sandy. Best Wishes for you and your family.
(1)

My eighty-seven year old mother lived in Ohio with her grandson (38) and great grandson (16). Last year she had a terrible fall, smacked her head really hard on a door frame, which caused a severe neck fracture, and was taken to the emergency room. She was very close to severing her spinal cord. I live in California.

I got the next flight I could and rushed to her side. Her face was horribly bruised and they had a C-collar to stabilize her neck. She was heavily sedated but during waking moments was angry, sad, frustrated and asked us to just let her go.

I stayed all night and all day with her in the ICU for almost three weeks (through the neck surgery), all night and all day through her six weeks of rehab with skilled care and then all day and night, six weeks in a nursing home rehab facility. All to try and get her mobile and able to perform her activities of daily living. She made little progress. Medicare would no longer pay, so we went to her home and had home health for six weeks. She was more comfortable at home and improved much faster in this environment.

I knew my nephew and great nephew would not be able to care for her and that I would have to take her home to California with me. She was extremely resistant so I fibbed to her and said it would be temporary until she got better.

To make a long story short (!!) She has now gotten calmer and more logical, even though she has no remembrance of the accident or how she was doing prior to it. She knows she has to stay with me as she has severe arthritis in her knees and is not steady enough to be alone. I was 65 when it happened and I knew I would have to quit my job to care for her. Even though it would be another year before I could get full SS benefits, it was something I wanted to do. Both of my brothers had Hemophilia and have passed away. There are no family members here but my son, who has to work. My husband is in prison, and my son stays with her on the weekend when I go to visit him.

Even though she has a bit of memory loss I can't explain why, but I am so happy to have this time with her and although I know I have some burnout and am not taking as much care of myself as I should, I am so happy to take care of her - it doesn't make me angry or sad. She is also very funny and we laugh a lot every day. She thanks me every day "for everything you do for me". She says she doesn't know what she would do without me. I promised myself and her a long ago, as did my son that she will never be in a nursing home.

I know it must be difficult for those whose loved ones have severe dementia or Alzheimer's, and I empathize and wish you peace and happiness.
(2)

The last two comments about C+ or B+ are super fantastic!! Thank you Johnk6749 and Heart2Heart! Nothing wrong with average.
(4)

I think I'd strive for a C+... (I think on a caregiver scale a c+=A+++++++)
(7)

Annabelle B, Some of the best advice I have gotten was from 1 of the articles on AgingCare. It said to strive to be a B+. When I started out I tried to be A+++. If I stayed there I would be burned out by now.
(6)

Speaking from someone who is in a similar position as your husband, my hat is off to him. After watching my own family I realize that there is only one person in the family that has a sense of responsibility. If everyone turned their back, then the older people would end up being that person living alone down the street with no one to care for them. I admire the good people who will step up and do what needs to be done. It isn't easy, but often it is the choice that needs to be made. I just wish the older person didn't have to be so difficult.
(3)

My husband feels enormous amounts of anger, guilt and huge resentments toward (yes....his OWN MOTHER!) for being given NO CHOICE but to take care of her. He grew up with an extremely miserable mother. Always angry, always miserable, and never let him have a life. She still doesn't. She's still manipulative even with dementia. That part about her never changed. The problem with my husband is, he was a sucker for having to tolerate it and I always told him he should never have. But he got stuck taking care of her because his sister who lives 2 streets over AND who has POA doesn't want anything to do with her. His mother is only getting worse it seems by the day.

The other day she thought I was stealing my own car.
(3)

Annabelle B. This is a nightmare. TwilighZone show. It just doesn't seem to end. And no end in sight.
(0)

Someone said just do the best you can i have a very hard time but that's what I'm doing and I try to do little tbings,for myself like take care of my teeth or take a nap. It's very difficult
(2)

Rainey. I've been married 33 years and he still makes me laugh. Guess that way , we are lucky.
(2)

Well he certainly makes me laugh, a lot! Nobody else can leave me in a crumpled ball laughing so hard, tears are pouring out my eyes and my stomach can hardly take it. He knows just what will make me lose it like that 😂
(2)

Rainey On a much lighter note. Irish / Italian marriages are supposed to be great and as I have heard my whole life " make beautiful babies".
(1)

Erin,
LOL!!!!! Yep, I can't get away from it. You want a good laugh? I married an Italian and he is WORSE! He told me the Irish learned it from the originals, the Roman Catholics. So I grew up with (and she still tries) to guilt me and then, my husband does it to me! Example: I got super busy and forgot to pre-plan his dinner for when he gets home. He gets all upset and then exclaims, "Fine, I'll just make oatmeal, you don't care enough to think of me." *Sighs*
It is just a way of life.
(1)

Hi Rainey. My phone died today. Just saw your post. Absolutely right about Irish Catholic guilt.
(1)

Babygirlga,
I know that feeling all too well. I wake up feeling like a truck hit me but I have arthritis in my lower back and bursitis in both hips. That's why I pay for physical things I take on, sometimes just laundry, cleaning and vacuuming is enough to make me sieze up with pain when I am done. It sounds like you are internalizing everything, not good. I get it, I have run out the door and jumped in my car because I was afraid if I stayed one more minute, I would end up saying horrible things I would regret. You need to get it out somehow, scream into a pillow, cry your eyes out until you fall asleep, get a dart board, something, but don't let everything bottle up inside you or one day, Mount Vesuvius will eventually blow. It won't be pretty and the fall out will be far worse than if you just allowed a few steam puffs to escape every now and then! Way back in the day, if anyone pushed me after I gave my warnings, they got a taste of something they never quite forgot. So, I understand wanting to bury that. It was scary because it was blind rage.
Lastly, just for the heck of it, look up peri menopausal symtoms, see how many you can relate too. You are about my age too, I will be 48 this year. I have been going through peri menopausal symtoms for a few years already. I could say I fit most of them. I deal with doctors enough to tell you, they certainly don't know everything. I have diagnosed Mom so many times while they were scratching their heads!
(2)

Babygirlga... You must take care of yourself... (I know how difficult it can be... and, I need to follow my own advise).
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter