Follow

Qualifying for LTC.

Both my parents have/had Genworth. They send a local company to assess them. My parent’s policy is a lifetime policy but some are only 5 years. They do not even write policies like that now as they were losing money. They base approval based on how many tasks they need assistance with: showering, toileting, eating, etc. You have to have 3 of the 5 to qualify. They will drag it out but just call the insurance commissioner and magically they are approved.
Other helpful info: Thoroughly read the policy as there may be some great features that they will not tell you such as: 3 week respite for the caregiver, 11,000 in medical equipment (mom got a leather lift chair that was $2500.00 which the policy paid). Medicare will only pay every 5 years for some things so when mom broke her walker her LTC paid to replace it.
If your parents start out with home care (minimum 4 hours a day) they are reimbursed and that counts towards the 50 day copay if they move to MC/ nursing home. Assisted living will not count as they will not be assisting with bathing, toileting, etc.
I personally will never have home health as we were stolen from multiple times and I was there sick (Lyme) when they came. Gutsy for sure and we used 3 different companies...wide spread issue. If you choose home care, definitely have multiple cameras and tell them you are recording to help with potential theft, treatment of your loved one and to know if there are actually working or playing on their phone/etc. Planning some activities your loved one will enjoy may help them. Mom loves music which is great for dementia patients. I bought a puzzle at Dollar Tree with all the states with capitols when daddy was in memory care. Several of the residents would sit around and I would give the state and they would say the capitol. I was amazed at how well they did. Mom loves crafts so I would buy tons of dollar tree stuff to paint, decorate for the season (which I mainly did but she would assist) to place outside her door. Hopefully this will give you some ideas to have the CNA do.
Also, you typically pay for light housekeeping so take advantage of it. Mom asked a lady to wipe down the kitchen counter and she refused, mom fired her on the spot. You can't get much lighter than that.

Good luck on your journey!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My dad bought a LTC for mom.

It would have paid a whopping $25 a day towards long term care. Not even worth it. Sad, as dad really thought he was doing the right thing, but bought in the 70's? They never reviewed it and just kept the original numbers the same.

The one time mom needed to upgrade a rehab facility she was in, my OS just whipped out her Platinum Amex card and put the difference on it.

Money can sure smooth things over.
(0)

Thanks - great info.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter