Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Thanks so much. I'm going to contact the VA audiology department after the holidays and see what can be done. It would be so much easier for Dad, even if we have to pay for them.
(0)

Will the VA replace lost hearing aids
(0)

JacksonSt162, yes they will. They will replace them if your hearing needs change or if they are damage/lost at least once; I'm not sure if there is a limit though on how many times they will replace them.
(0)

How long does it take to receive VA hearing aids after mold was fitted and mailed out?
(0)

Quigley, my recollection is that we went back to the VA for fitting and instructions. I don't recall any discussion at all of them being mailed out.

I believe though that the VA does mail out glasses.
(0)

Been wearing VA hearing aids since I retired from the navy in '84. Mostly good service. Did have one tech tell me I was not co-operating because I could not understand the words in the word recognition part. She did not work there very long. Aids used to be replaced every three years. Now it is every five years.
My batteries come from Denver and it is a toll call. Minimum hold time is 45 minutes. Can be ordered online but read the legal stuff before ordering them. Especially the part about them disclosing your information to the world.
When being ask about which aid you want from their selection, be cautious. Many are "the latest and greatest" toys developed by techno junkies. Not really for use in the real world. Mine have only one volume control knob which controls the volume in both aids at the same time. Which means that I cannot lower the volume in my left ear to hear what is being said on my right better. Frustrating when driving with wife next to me and the buses are on the left or at a restaurant with noisey guest on the left.
My hearing loss goes back to the sixth grade and I needed a VA hearing test to get into the navy. Seems the navy is set up for a different type of hearing loss.
With my hearing getting worse year after year, my needs have changed for the worse.
My brother gets his aids through the VA at no charge and he only served for less than three months during Viet Nam. But as a volunteer he gets VA meds mostly no charge.
Best of luck.
(0)

My Dad who is 95 years old is completely deaf in one ear and has partial hearing in the other. He finally went to the VA for a hearing aid after years of buying them from other hearing aid businesses. They gave him the "latest and greatest" one and he hates it, says it's too little and claims it doesn't work. He went back to using his very old one. His old one broke the other day, and I can't find anyplace who will fix it. They just want to sell him another one. I live with him, and now I'm losing my hearing from the constant max TV volume.
(0)

Take him back to the VA. They may be able to remold the to a bigger size mold or replace them with the behind the ear aids. Just remember you are dealing with people that use the book and have no experience wearing such things and don't fully understand how difficult they are to insert with feeble old hands.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter