Follow

Here is my personal story. My wife was stricken with early onset Alzheimer's. We could not find the care we wished for in the US and then found an amazing place in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDEPDoB0WdQ

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Dear Margaret,

Well, as we all know, just because they are regulated in US doesn’t mean they’re doing a good job or even an ethical job as we’ve seen with all of the horrific stories of abuse in the US.

That said, your point is well taken. Cielito lindo is well-established and well regarded. I have friends in San Miguel who check in on my wife periodically. I have also made friends with families of other residents, I also have video calls with the staff and my wife.

But I would not be recommending this facility if I did not trust these people 110%. They were recommended to me by the author of “Where is Whitney Now?”
(1)

It sounds great. Just as you seem to have found better care for the $, lower local wages may mean that they can hire better staff for the $. The only thing would be that without regulation, it depends on you to monitor that it is as good as it sounds. Staff change, facilities change hands, so it needs checking. Do you have someone local who can visit and keep in touch with you? Can you do telephone participation in care meetings?
(0)

Geaton777, police calls were at out home in calif. now that her AD is advanced, I have her in care in Mexico. They provide independent, assisted living, memory care and hospice. I can no afford to quite my job and pay for care. So I am not with her in Mexico. But this approach gives her far superior care at 1/2 the cost.
(1)

LeaLonnie, cost is 40-60% of care in US. Yes there are less regulations, but in my opinion, the care is superior
(0)

I watched the whole video. Do i understand correctly that your wife is there in Mexico and you are not? If she has early ALZ and you were having police calls to your home, how is she just in "assisted living"? Without you? Also, after needs increase beyond AL (i.e. actual medical care)...then what?
(1)

LOL@Captain. Also, a pro is the cost is likely cheaper than AL in the USA. And a con would be that it's cheaper because nursing care in Mexico is NOT REGULATED.
(0)

pro ; you could stuff cocaine or heroin up your nose with both hands if you got into a bad enough pain situation .

con ; you could be dismembered and hung from a highway overpass if you upset the wrong dealers .
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter