Follow

Interesting read:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2191814-we-may-finally-know-what-causes-alzheimers-and-how-to-stop-it/

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Yellow fever?
(0)

I think they may be onto something here. This isn't new. A paper was written about it in 2013. What's new is that they have done experiments to confirm that observation in 2013. If it is the cause, the cure to Alzheimers maybe just taking antibiotics.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. When was the last time you heard about peptic ulcers being a big problem. Well there were for pretty much forever. People thought it was stress and overproduction of stomach acid causing it. Thus the big antacid industry. A couple of doctors claimed it was cause by bacteria. The medical profession soundly laughed them off. So one of them proved it by experimenting on himself. He infected himself with H. Priori, the bacteria now know to cause stomach ulcers. It gave him stomach ulcers as he expected and then he cured himself by taking antibiotics. The world changed. Instead of being a chronic illness, ulcers became a "take two pills and call me in the morning" issue. They won the nobel for it.
(2)

Just my opinion but efforts go to where money flows. Money flows in research. Pharmaceuticals fund research for drug treatment not cure. So many theories on a cause, but none seem absolute. Sometimes I cannot believe that this generation is still dying of AD and cancers that have been around earlier than the plague.
(0)

When it comes to cures, I think they are out there but the pharmaceutical companies are making big bucks off pills. So is the medical field period.
(1)

Why the increase? Well ALZ, even though in the Dementia family is quite different in how it effects the brain. ALZ is shown to be inherited. My GMa had it, her sister, sinister's daughter, my Aunt, my Uncle. Signs showing up in their 70s. I have read where an ALZ patient will live longer than a Dementia patient.

First we are living longer because of medications we now can take. But those medications may also contribute to Dementia. Cholesterol meds, allergy meds, and hormon replacement may contribute all of which my Mom did. At one tome she took a low dose allergy pill every day during allergy season for years. Me, I only take anything when needed. I don't do cholesterol at all. Never needed to do hormone therapy.
(0)

I know people who never go to the dentist and others who go twice a year such as myself. My husband goes to the dentist, after trying to fix a hole for months in the tooth. His last repair cost $1814.00 he goes back Monday for the rest, more money. So yes, dental health is a lot better now, but still there are the ones who ignore their teeth.
(0)

This kind of makes me think of how often I rushed to tell my diabetic SIL about the newest breakthroughs that would end type one diabetes, somehow all the hype never seems to come to anything.
It is an interesting theory - just like all the other interesting theories I have read over the years. To me it doesn't answer the question of why the incidence of ALZ is increasing or why it seems to be striking so many younger seniors, surely the dental hygiene of most north americans is better than it ever was in the past?
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter