Follow

I've mentioned on here that I've had issues with APS. Not sure who originally called but mom's been in rehab for nearly two months and I haven't seen the SW since two months ago when she came on raging and said if I were to take mom home she would call police. She said I shouldn't have taken mom out of hospital so soon. I was reeling from them sending her home after UTI became septic. They only kept her two days. She went back three days later for two weeks. When I told the SW that I didn't take her out of the hospital she said " well the apartment is a mess this is unacceptable". She came on the same day mom was released the house was a mess it isn't usually but I didn't think mom was coming home so soon. Anyway I shouldn't have to worry about police because house was messy. She has it out for me. I wish I knew what she had been told and by whom.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Sparky, thanks for the update and for explaining your past. Sounds like you have done your time and learned the lessons from it that you needed to learn. I admire that in a person. Thank God for all of us, the past is PAST.

Arranging 24 hour care at home sounds very daunting, Sparky. My impression from this forum is that it works for people who have tons of money and family members who have the time to supervise it and step in when a caregiver calls in sick (if they aren't using an agency).

I'm glad for you that you've been able to give her the time at home with her dog that you wanted to do for her.

Blessings to you both for Easter!
(2)

Thank you all for your support in this difficult situation. My felonies are for a lot of bad mistakes I made when I was a bookkeeper. I reconciled it in my head by thinking since my boss didn't notice anything missing (I kept two sets of books) that I wasn't hurting anyone. I now know and am sure I knew then that integrity is doing the right thing even when no one knows. I did do my time and paid the restitution. I didn't lose my last job I quit to take care of mom. Problem was I assumed that since my last felony was over 15 years ago and I haven't been in any trouble since that I wouldn't have any problems getting paid to be her home health care worker. I was very wrong so I took care of mom for free which I would have done so anyway if the living arrangements weren't so complicated. It also took a year to get her approved for a home health care worker. Then she got sick again. Anyway. She is home and her new nurse comes in tomorrow,. I haven't heard from the APS worker since she was caught in a lie at the meeting. The social worker from the nursing home backed me up and the mean lady turned red and stomped out of the room. I learned a lot from the nurses about right and wrong ways to help mom but unless I can figure out how to get her 24 hour help I'm eventually going to have to leave. But even so at least she'll have gotten to go home and see her dog for a while. The speed with which her disease is progressing I don't think she'll really mind going back. At least I hope not.
(1)

Sparky, Please let us know how the meeting went!
(1)

You've paid for your felonies with time served? Losing your job in 2018 had nothing to do with a felony? If so, APS - or anyone for that matter - throwing it in your face now is shameful.

The HUD apartment was messy. Big deal. I know a home care nurse who used to treat an old woman whose apartment she said was crawling with cockroaches and there wasn't a sanitary surface in sight. Any reasonable person can tell the difference between temporarily messy and perpetually filthy.

I'm not sure I disagree with you, Sparky, that she has it in for you. I hope you find a new job and begin to prepare for the very real possibility that you will have to move out of that apartment and find a place of your own.
(1)

Sparky, please tell me that you understand why a social worker might, given the fact that you have no job, are living with your mom in a hoarded up HUD apartment and have " a couple of felonies" on your record, and given your mother's overall poor mental and physical health, might think that you are not the best candidate to look after your mom long term.

Please let that social worker fight the hospital/rehab so that your mom DOESN'T get sent home again. This pit bull of a social worker is the person you need to have on speed dial the next time someone tries to send mom home.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter