Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4
Im so sorry you and your mom are having this experience. Ive had my own share of 3 am moments as I am going thru similar, so I understand 100%. You have put into words the exact experience, thoughts and emotions of a family caregiver who is reaching a breaking point. You are not alone. Elderly parent caregiving is more than just an active of love, it's sacrificing yourself and your life on behalf of a loved one. Period. Do you know what I wish? I wish skilled nursing facilities took better care of elderly. If they staffed appropriately and paid workers more, the care would be better. As such, more families would feel comfortable placing relatives there, and visiting. Truth is, I'm not truly equipped to give my mom the level.of care she needs right now but I'm afraid she will be neglected and forgotten in a facility. I'm all she has left, she's all I have left, but she needs professionals. I'm afraid of how she will be treated, and the guilt of betraying her by placing her in a home & family members who expect.you to continue to handle it etc...This is all heart wrenching and the absolute hardest thing you will ever deal with. Good luck to you my friend.
(9)

Well said!!

(((Hugs)))
(5)

I’m right there with you and I’m looking into assisted as we speak but that too comes with regret, confusion, guilt and sadness over the decision. You didn’t mention if you had any family help, I have a small family but no help. Because I don’t really need to work, they fell like I should be able to do this an expect as much. When this is over I won’t have a family because I’m already fed up with them and they will blame it all in me if my mom doesn’t do well in a facility. My sister actually told me that she will die in there. Well I’m dying now and no one seems to care, yea they say they think about me every day big deal. 😰
(11)

I understand your post. Thank you so much. I am grateful to have a safe forum to work through my own feelings and experiences.
(6)

It's all overwhelming and despair. And I'm not doing it hands-on. My sister and I helped out our elderly parents weekends for years. For me, it means working six days a week and traveling 6 hours round-trip Sundays. I always said I didn't mind because it could change in a minute. In September it did when my dad died from COVID. Now I also have to manage my mom's finances. And I'm still going down Sundays.
Every time I write a check I have an anxiety attack as I watch her accounts go down. We told my mom she had enough money to stay in her house (24/7 care) for a year, but at what point do we start looking at options? We're still fighting to access a safety deposit box and bank stocks. I have nightmares about this.
And then there's the "normal" work/life/COVID/grown kids stresses and worries.
Thank God for my sister. She lives near my mom and handles some of the daily chores. Like so many here, our brother has decided his involvement is optional. Instead of just being angry, we've sent him very specific requests--things we need him to do. Which he has ignored.
It's hard not to be bitter.
(7)

I'm sorry for you - some days it just becomes too much - but every person here has been where you are. You have to decide whether you want a life or to keep looking after someone at the cost of you and your husband's life or whether it is better for everyone if you bite the bullet and she goes into a facility as needed. It is a pity you left joining here until after you made your decisions, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Choose who your priority is and make a decision for the future.
(3)

Amen!
(3)

I am sorry for this. But you might not be stuck. If your mother had any assets to pay for the assisted living she did not want to go to, why can't she go now?

If she has no assets, has she applied for Medicaid? She might not want to go to assisted living, and it would be hard for you to have the discussion with her, but you could have the discussion; and tell her you can no longer do this. Had you known, you would not have agreed perhaps but because she was adamant, you caved in. It is not too late, especially now that the vaccine is becoming available.
(4)

Exactly.
(1)

Thank you for writing this. I often have a hard time putting my thoughts into words and this really hit me.

I am new to this forum and needed to reach out for some support. I am an only child caring for my mom on hospice and dad with early dementia and chronic pain with no help from anyone except for the hospice nurse who comes twice a week.

I am running a household and caring for them and mom continues to get more and more sick from end stage copd empjasemia. It is a heavy load.

I was a caregiver before I entered this situation and thought no one could do a better job than me. I was wrong. It is so different when it is a job compaired to when it is your life. I have lost the empathy and compassion I once had. I do everything in my power to make them as comfortable and cared for possible but my heart isn't into it.

I am extremely passionate and giving but have been feeling so lifeless and mudane. When you spend time around dying people how do you feel like you are not dying yourself?

I like how you touched on the childhood scars that resurface. My parents weren't anything but verbally abusive but the neglect runs deep. Here I am attentive to their every need but asking my dad for a ride somewhere when I was a kid was like asking for a limb.

Mom came under my care a couple of years ago when she almost died from a septic infection. I have fought long and hard to take care of her the best I can but it is to the point I have no control over it and managing her symptoms is becoming a nightmare. She often is out of breath and it is unbelievably Scarry to watch someone not be able to breath despite the morphine.

At least I don't have to worry about the stress it is putting on my relationship because I am single. A double edge sword. No relationship to give mantinence to but no hugs and being told everything will be ok.

I often say I wish I had a job so I wouldn't have to work so hard. I also proclaim to be a firefighter because I put out fires all day.

Apparently it has been said there is beauty in hindsight. It has also been said by others I am an angel. Why doesn't it feel that way?

One beautiful thing to come of this is being able to accept my mom for the mother she wasn't and love her for the person she is.

With mom's passing on the horizon I worry about how I will care for dad after. I am so scared of the future but so glad I made it through today. Just to wake up and do it all again tomorrow. Thanks for your words and thank you for listening.
(7)

My mom is bedridden incontinent and suffers from dementia. She has been through the hospital ER visits for falls... In April began treatment for a uti and then sent to a snf.... I felt like the PT was too aggressive and long for a 95 year old incontinent woman with dementia..... They insisted on making her a 1 person transfer from a 2 person and something about help standing which she couldn't

And trying to walk.

They wouldn't listen to me that the goals were unrealistic..... Used up all medicare rehab days.... 100 DAYS I KEPT TRACK. OF WHRN MEDICARE WOULDN'T PAY AND SHE WAS OUT WHEN MEDICARE RAN OUT..

FROM THERE TO ASSISTED LIVING WITH AN ENHANCED LICENSE.

SHE HAD LONG TERM CARE INSURANCE BUT THE SNF WOULD NOT SEND THE RECORDS TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY.

NEEDED AS INSURANCE HAS ZA 100 DAY ELIMINATION PERIOD.

CALLED A LAWYER AND HE ASKED IF I WANTED TO HIRE HIM FOR 400 dollars an hour, to try to get the records..

I did not hire him for this.

Paid out of pocket for assisted living.. And a. Few week stay in a nursing home
Now the LTC policy is past due for Renewal but they will give me a grace period until a certain date.

Over 4400 dollars premium for another year...
Mom. Present at him with hope.

Dementia but who knows how much longer and if her needs will increase beyond my capacity.

Suggestions would you take out another year of LTC it better to just save that money?

I
(1)

I so agree!! It wipes everything out of you and may cost me my marriage!!
(6)

I can relate...... When someonre compared diaper changing a bedrridde incontinent mother, to changing a babr, I really thought how out to lunch. To try to clean and turn a grown woman, much harder than lifting and turning a baby I would surely think. Then there is that you owe it to take care of your parents in their old age just like they took care of you.. Really hate being lectured to by other people's philosophies, especially when they're not doing it for their mother... A brother is thousands of miles away. So sad to see an incontinent bedridden mom live like this...... And causes me so much distress too... What about my own life..... Constant calling demands etc. I never dreamed of all this when I was young...
But a doctor warned me of it when I was about 18 or 19 years old, especially as an only child. Feel like my own interests get tapped away...... Seems like not enough space.... Always have to be either there or even upstairs it's hard to hear calls.... Some suggest a baby monitor. I've been the assisted living. Nursing home routes for mom....... Then worry.. Pandemic isolation adds to it...... Costs and often say was that really necessary.,... I get the feeling of big business out there to take care of the elderly........ I got burnt out one night with diaper changing and c difficile contamination.
I only have two hands! Called 911...... Nurse sad she has diarrhea and smells like c diff... Tested positive...... From there a nursing home.. Outrageous pricing but I thought okay end of life comfort care..... But mom lived and I was glad when social worker said perhaps take her home..... So at least got a refund from the outrageous two onth fee on admission and paid for one other month... But took her out after less than a month and got a lot of the money refunded....... Now. Glad to have her home on hospice...... But certainly can relate to feeling what about my life?
(7)

Wow! I came on here this morning to read some posts. I'm feeling very selfish at the moment. I usually try to put a label on my emotion when I feel a bit off. I've only been doing this for 7 months. At the start I told my siblings " I can do this!" Before even moving my dad here, my husband and I prepared a room to be able to keep him here. I would sit in his room before he came and think, someday I will be sitting here watching him waste away to eventually dying.
Between COVID and all the snow we've been getting, it's been hard to do anything but sit at home and drown in my thoughts. Self care.... if I read one more article on self care, my head feels like it will explode! My brain tells me this is not for the rest of MY life. But how to comprehend that this could be yearssssss. I do have a good support group. I'm lucky to be able to do this.
There is no amount of mental preparedness that can help understand what it actually means to be the primary family caregiver. I have to keep my faith that I have the strength to keep going. This is NOT the rest of my life.
I just hope that I will have time to go over end of life decisions with my children before it's too late. I do not want this to be part of their life.
So as I ramble on... it does help to see the words.
Sending love to all the caregivers here!
Stay safe & Stay strong!
(11)

Thank you all for your kind support! Hearing others stories, knowing I’m not floundering alone is helpful. By just releasing those thoughts and feelings has allowed for some goodness nuggets to be reviled and I’m stating to see a clearing of a path. Thank you for reading. Thank you for sharing.

wishing all peace and happiness on this bumpy journey.
(10)

In my case, going to bed after 2am.
What I find very difficult is even when there is a little break, like going out to run an errand, or getting coffee, you still have the task at hand. Or watching a nice video, and then they need something. You can't enjoy things without them in the background.

Whenever I step outside, I try to just soak up the nice scenery. It helps for the moment.

I hope you are successful with whatever you choose to do. All the best.
(9)

You asked if anyone has felt the harsh realities of caregiving. Absolutely! You are not alone. I want to comment on some of your statements.

“Family caregiving is not a choice. It is thrust upon you and ridiculously expected”. That's true... INITIALLY! The early days of caregiving may not be too difficult, but as the disease progresses, the needs of your LO increases to the point you loose your own life because of self imposed obligation or promises. So eventually it does become a choice. The choice to care for both your LO and yourself. Set your boundaries. Know when to say “I can't do this anymore”, “I give up!”

“Meanwhile, your life disappears”. Yes, it can and often does. That's when you need to seek outside help from home care to adult day care. Call you local Area Agency on Aging to get some help. I've posted this quote before: “Too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart”- Wm. ButlerYeats

“What your doing is so full love.” Caregiving starts with love. But unless you set an exit plan, it will eventually become frustration, anger and maybe even resentment. Know what your limit for caregiving is. When that time comes (which may be now), seek other options for your mom.

Marriage- “That will take a direct hit as well.” Caregiving can be a family affair. The stresses and emotions of caring can not only affect the caregiver, but the spouse and children as well. Another reason to know when to say when.

“No matter how much guilt you feel, move through it.” I'm not sure what your guilty of. Are you not doing enough? Are you guilty of the toll it's taking on your life? Your guilt is undeserved.

“When mom moved here she stated she never wanted to go to assisted living. We agreed.” Ahah! We arrive at the sole reason for all your other statements. NEVER, EVER promise your LO that you will never place her/him in a care facility. You can promise that you'll always care for them, but don't limit your options. Now you feel you're in an everlasting purgatory. However, you've already made that promise, now what? You just might have to break it. It's either continuing in your everlasting purgatory or having a frank discussion with your mother about why you have to break your promise.
(8)

Making promises about not placing an elder into managed care often need to be broken. Any parent that wants their child to live like THIS is either suffering from advanced dementia or cruel by nature, let's face it. I'd end my own life before subjecting any of my 7 children to care for me or my DH in our old age; neither one of us will hear of it. Period.

Look into Assisted Living or Skilled Nursing and explain to your parent that you simply cannot live like this any longer. You've done your very best to be a caregiver, but her needs have become too great for one human being to manage. And that's the God's honest truth, and why I placed both of my parents in Assisted Living in 2014. My dad passed in 2015 & my 94 y/o mother is still alive and living in Memory Care now. She'd have killed me long ago had I made the mistake of taking her in to live with me, or me with her. I knew that right from the get go.

Wishing you the best of luck taking your OWN life back now & crying Uncle.
(14)

I made the same promise to my mother when I was a teenager. I had NO idea what I was promising.

My mother, who has moderate dementia, lived with us for 8 weeks. That was enough time for me to become bedridden from the stress.

It’s okay for you to change your mind about something that clearly is not working for YOU. Caregiving has to work for both of you. Give yourself permission to make a change. As another poster here says, YOU matter, too.
(7)

@Catherine1109 - admitting is the first step! And releasing that feels so good, doesn’t it?! It also feels good that we are not alone as we admit we need help. We stand together and know it’s ok. Wishing you peace and happiness as you find your way.

with blessings,
(5)

@ Not good enough - these were not meant to be blanket statements. They were my honest and raw thoughts and feelings of where I was at on my own caregiving journey at 3am some random morning. I understand each journey is unique and different and I am sorry if I did not make that clear.

with blessings,
(5)

I am so sorry you are experiencing such an emotional toll with caregiving.

I will agree that caregiving takes a lot out of you, and not everyone is capable
- for whatever reason - to do it. And we should not be judged if that is our
individual case.

However, I take issue with the blanket statements you make here. Just as I have taken issue with previous posters who say "never place your LO in a
facility". These blanket statements are not productive, they are often
untrue, and they can cause many hurt feelings and feelings of guilt/remorse.

Indeed, your statement about marriage taking a direct hit - that SO wasn't true in my case. So very untrue. Now, I understand that I am married to a rare man - for whom I give thanks every day - but to just throw out there that no marriage can survive is doing other caregivers a disservice.

It was not fair of your mom to have you make "the promise" about being placed in a facility, and I'm sorry that you are trapped, either by circumstance or
design. I hope you can at least find some assistance to take some of this
enormous strain from your shoulders.

Iwish you peace going forward.
(4)

Thank you for your kind words. I am looking forward to getting on a regular schedule with a counselor. Once mom is vaccinated (first one this Saturday!), I am hoping to hire help for a couple of days a week to get that better balance, but I will speak to a social worker to help with future plans as you suggested. Her needs are only going to become greater and having a plan in place would help reduce some of my anxiety. Thank you.

with blessings,
(9)

Thank you for your honesty I myself finally ADMITTED too myself I can't do this without help.. Away we go
(5)

You have covered so much of what we feel as caregivers. I was the primary caregiver for my mom for 15 years.

It’s incredibly hard. I’m so sorry that you are struggling with this situation.

Please don’t hesitate to seek out help. Look into placement.

Speak to a social worker to help you plan future care.

Speak to a therapist to help sort out your feelings. I did speak to a therapist and it helps tremendously.

Wishing you all the best.

Take care.
(8)

Thank you for your correction. I should have said that it FELT like there wasnt a choice. Between not having any other family to take on the burden with me and my mom’s insistence that she will not go to a facility, it truly felt there wasn’t/isn’t options. But you are correct. There are always options.

I also appreciate your honesty and care. I am beyond burned out. I have a counselor lined up to see soon, but again you are correct. I can not go on with the way things are. There must be a balance between caregiving and my life, between being a daughter and being a caregiver. Thank you for your encouragement and support to get my life, my health back on track.

with blessings
(8)

I have to correct you in your second paragraph, where you said that "family caregiving is not a choice." I'm not sure where you got that idea from, but just like not having children is a choice we all have, so is choosing to care for a family member or not. For whatever reason, you have chosen to take on this responsibility, and now are coming to the realization that you really shouldn't have. Just like not everyone is cut out to be a parent, not everyone is cut out to be a caregiver either. And that's ok. It's not too late to make some changes. You honestly need to start looking for the appropriate facility to place mom in,(regardless of what you agreed to) where she will receive the 24/7 care that she needs, and you can get back to living your life the way you see fit. And if she doesn't have the money, then she must apply for Medicaid. You are beyond burned out, and that is not healthy for any involved. You cannot go on with things the way you are. You already know that, and now it's up to you to make the necessary changes. Please make those changes, or sadly you will be in the statistics where the caregiver dies before the one being cared for.
(10)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter