Follow

I had my accountant look over type A, B, C. agreements What I found in the disclosure statement was not good for the people to buy into these contracts which you had to put in $100,000 some as much as 700,000 entrance fee and extra monthly fee of 6,000.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My ex- MIL has recently moved into Independent Living at a CCRC; I have no idea what the entrance fee was other than that there was one, and yes, there is a monthly fee.

By contract, they promise to provide care for her (IL, AL, Memory Care or Nursing Home) until her death.

This has given her and her children great peace of mind.

She initially tried "aging in place" in her isolated suburban home, but the upkeep, taxes and unavailability of public transport options made it impossible and not safe for her to live there alone any longer.

By contrast, I live in an urban high rise that is handicapped-accessible, has medical care nearby and shopping/delivery/entertainment within walking/wheelchair distance.

I guess it comes down, in part, to where you live and what you can afford.

I found this article very helpful in explaining the differences between the various types (A, B and C) that you mentioned.

https://www.caring.com/senior-living/continuing-care-retirement-communities/
(1)

What you have to watch out for the way they write CCRC contracts which are very confusing, You have to remember that when you give them money you own nothing and they give you a promise to give you Back some of this entrance fee to you or you area's If you have long term care and health insurance say in you place .
(0)

I guess I think of buying into a CCRC sort of in the same way that I think of an immediate annunity; the money is there for a purpose and the purpose is to give ME return, not to give my heirs return.

If I had limited funds and wanted to make sure I was cared for, I would do either an immidiate annuity or buy into a well funded CCRC. I would also be seeking advice at www.bogleheads.org, not here.

All the best to you.
(1)

I can remember reading posts here from people who ran into problems with CCRC communities not delivering on what was expected, I think I remember hearing of places changing ownership, going out of business or just deteriorating quality wise over time. I personally think that buying in at a younger age (55+ communities) increases your risk because a lot can change over the next 20, 30, 40 years.
(0)

I had to deal with a CCRC as part of an aunts estate. The control of dealing with unit or apt lies with the CCRC should they die before really using the buy in $. It will be vexing to deal with in my experience.

Aunt did buy in abt 350k for a garden/patio “home” within a 3 level of care tiered CCRC (this several years ago). She died within a few months of moving in & still totally independent living. She was to get a % of the buy in returned to her if she moved or to the estate if she died as per contract; and that was fine, after all she signed the agreement. But there was little, or not so little things..... one of the heirs wanted to stay at her place the times when he came in state and was not allowed to; anyone going into her place had to clear paperwork with the office in advance; monthly facility use type of charges continue to be billed (deducted from buyin); All service providers had to be only those on CCRC list; the worst part was lots, lots of foot dragging on unit being sold. The CCRC totally in charge of sale and showing the place to prospective buyers & approving buyer. Really seemed to be no incentive to find a new owner. The place was plenty cute too. Atty had to basically do a flurry of letters to corporate office to get it

Most who do a buy in are going to spend out the initial $ and by the time they actually die are paying a la carte for services in the skilled nursing care section. So no $ getting repaid. But should they die early, look at the contract to see how 1 sided it is for the heirs and try to get it reviewed by whomever might be the probate atty as well.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter