Follow

I want to say that I have been reading that alot of you that have really hard stressful situations for the Holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas, please be grateful.

Grateful is something that in our world we never think of, when we are caring for someone full time, work the other hours have no time for sleep, then squeeze in a meal here and there.

Caregivers, family and other Caregivers, we all need to take care of ourselves. No is not an answer if sisters or brothers will not help. We cannot do it all. Being a caregiver is a very exclusive club of people, and many of you did not ask to be a caregiver you are a caregiver because someone in your family is ill, and you are the only one to care for them. May you be blessed in your life, for your selfless love.

There are many of us, that do not have the issues you have, but you have your family with you. That is what these holiday's at times are for. Family.

I am so sorry, that you are really suffering and overworked, and yes delegate as much as you can. Please remember at all times, to know your limits and take care of yourself, as you will be no good to anyone if you do not.

I say this as my Adult Children for a number of reasons (other parts of the country), cannot be with my husband and I, and my mother passed in 2016, my husband we found out has Leukemia, 2018 and so the one thing I am Blessed for, is that I have my Caregiving Sisters and Brothers out there,

My father is in assisted Living, and has Lewy body Dementia and Primary Progressive Aphasia, and is the brightest spot in anyone's life. Here is a man that because of Lewy Body, his body is twisted, he is 100% dependent on people to help him in every way to live, eat, sleep, every function of life. It takes three people to care for him, we pay privately for one. we are blessed, and we will celebrate with him a week earlier.

Saying that however, as we all get older as caregivers, it won't be the same without my adult children and grandchildren, but also my mother, who peacefully passed from Alzheimer's, and my father.

Let's all be very thankful for the fact that the people that drive us crazy, talk loud, eat with their mouths open, they are our family, and be grateful that they are in your lives in our families, and God Bless you for taking them in on an evening where they would be alone.

Caregivers have a very hard demanding job, and many of you are not paid, and I bless you for helping every single day, as this is not a job for the weak at heart. It is a priceless job, there is not a price tag to put on it, because it is the compassionate heart, the giving up of your needs, the realizing they have become the child and you are now the adult.

Thank you for being a part of the Caregiving Team of America, and may everyone, where ever they are be Grateful for the life they have, and if there is sorrow due to a death, we pray with you for peace!

Happy Holidays!

Caregiving Power

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
i told my detective i was doing turducken this year -- with my ex and the two murder suspects .
fortunately he knows im just funnin him .
(1)

LOL , leolonnie
re; diets .
you know how to tell if a person is a vegetarian ?
dont worry they'll TELL you .

i cooked special for my chicago DIL one time . she picked at the food like a fussy kid . the next time i visited i made venison chili for bob and i . sob can eat apple cores for all i care .
(2)

i always send the florida grandkids and their younger brother something for christmas as well as my chicago sons wifes kid . only the chicago kid sends a thank you letter but it wont be long till the florida kids will have email accounts and ive no doubt they'll communicate with me often .
we connected one summer with a couple hour trike ride . they couldnt forget that if they were lobotomized .
(2)

Personally, I'm grateful when The Holidays are OVER. Cooking, cleaning, spending a ton of money for food that nobody wants to eat b/c they're on This Diet or That Diet or The Diet Du Jour on the Day Of, then pick at the expensive food anyway, enough is enough.

This year I am happy to be working on ALL of the holidays, and to me, it feels like a RELIEF not to 'have to' cook, clean or spend a ton of money cooking food that nobody wants to eat b/c they're on This Diet or That Diet on the Day Of. If that makes me ungrateful, so be it.

What I AM grateful for is every day of life I'm granted on this Earth, that I wake up with breath in my lungs and a beat in my heart. The Holidays are just another day.
(3)

I wonder how many people still do Christmas cards. I don’t. I stopped mailing Christmas cards many years ago.
(2)

People in Canada do have a Thanksgiving day, but it was in October.
(0)

yea , need help
some people are getting all skizzed out about the holidays on here already .
reminds me of a funny song on Youtube .
" i dont like half the folks i love " . LOL
(1)

we ' did ' the holidays when the boys were young but im all alone now , it doesnt make much difference to me .
i get a kick out of not drinking one drop of booze on the holidays that people traditionally get plowed . ( ie ; new years ) .
ive offered to take everyones snow plowing weekends and holidays out at the forestry . sounds like some great ( quiet and pretty ) alone time to me .
(1)

Some people absolutely love the holidays. Some people hate them, Grinches or Scrooges. For some people the holidays are neither here nor there. For others, holidays are depressing and some even feel suicidal during this time of year.

I wonder how many are glad when they are finally over.
(0)

Captain,

You remind me of my dad. Holidays were just another day for him.

He was quite different from my mom. He grew up in a rural area. His family was very poor.

The story I laughed at the most about holidays with his family was from my dad’s brother. My uncle told us, “For Christmas all I received was a whistle, and when I blew it I got a spanking.”
(2)

looks like my birthday falls on thanksgiving again this year . even the combination of the two isnt going to change my routine one bit . i just dont let society tell me when and what to celebrate .
in december i'll miss sending my son the " eat a dkmas " email . that was my only tradition .
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter