How do I handle a sex crazed husband with dementia. I have no interest in him at all. He is just too sick.

Follow

Everyday is a constant battle with him over sex. I to the point that I wish I could just leave. I want to care for him but not in that way.

Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
1 2 3 4 5
My mom completely "lost it" in the end. I never witnessed anything myself but I heard nurses' comments not to do "this and that." One thing they said was "Be modest." She also reverted to using curse words she had never spoken in her life, This also was revealed to me through her nurses. I wondered where she had heard words like that.

Soon after, she passed away.
(0)

Wow.
Just. WOW.
All of these stories have made me cry.
(0)

I feel for each one of the individuals posting. I would say if it gets to a point when someone is angry and continuously causing problems and keeping the caregiver up all night it is time to look for other accommodations. I think what people don't realize is that the situation is very detrimental for the caregiver. What is if something happens and you cannot take care of this person, because of something they have done to you or from living under undo stress. Work with Senior services and see if there is a Assistant Living place that is trained to work with these behaviors. Go see the person and know that they are receiving the help they need and deserve and you live a peaceful life. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us, so you must determine how you want to live this life and the best for the person you are caring for.
(2)

Reading about this has done two things: put a great deal,of fear in me and also given me hope that I can somehow find help. Before dementia entering our lives, my husband and I had a healthy and happy sex life. But I came from a terribly abusive early childhood, which has made it so much harder for me to face the angry and hostile nature of his behaviors. All I see is a vicious stepfather who beat his wife and abused both of us. This is a deeply emotional,issue that I am not able to face with any kind of wisdom or understanding, especially because our past relationship was so honest and loving. I feel very. Fortunate that his behaviors have, thus far, not become sexual. If that happens, I will have to leave.
(1)

He divorced me for another woman, literally took me to divorce lawyer and we filed!!! Been married 14 years. His fourth wife. Diagnosis is Dementia, mini strokes, Parkinson’s, Type 2 Diabetic since 30. Age now 63. Psycho, crazy family. Can’t get away. He is so sick and no family want him. Help!!
(0)

How old is your daughter? Is she capable of protecting herself? If there’s any way possible he could succeed in harming her you must take steps to protect her. I’m very sorry your family is in this position, your husband isn’t the person he once was, but daughter must be protected from this behavior
(4)

my husband suffers from frontal temporal dementia and tries to have sexual relations with our daughter. Any thoughts ?
(0)

Wow it's been 5 yrs since I started this discussion! Alot has happened since. Tomorrow I will have my husbands funeral service. He was put into a nursing home last July and continued to go downhill. MRSA pnumonia got him. I am trying so hard to remember when he was not ill. It's been a long hard road. He was 61 and they told me he had the brain of a 90 yr. old man. IM so emotionaly exhausted I am taking a few weeks off from work. Now I can just do me.
(8)

I am so grateful for all your comments. Thank you to everyone that has shared their story. I identify with many. I find this such a difficult subject. My husband had a TIA in 2012 as we were burying my dad. While at the gravesite, our 14 year old daughter realized my husband had walked away from the grave.  She lead him back to my side. He was several rows away leasurely reading the tombstones in the cemetery. I immediately realized something was wrong. I drove like a wild woman to the ER. I lost my dad and my husband that day. The next five years consisted of severe bouts of depression, verbal abuse and intimidation, threats of suicide and demands for a divorce. My husband is gone and an imposter has taken his place. One of the most disturbing aspects of this disease is his fixation on sex. I try to express my love by treating him with kindness, taking care of his needs (in every other way), but I draw the line at sex. I will not be bullied into sharing myself with this shadow of my husband. I cannot. It breaks my heart.
(2)

It's good that someone is bringing up the problems involving sex with a spouse who has dementia.....my husband always had a healthy sex appetite, and we had almost 50 years of a happy marriage. But his dementia has worsened to the point where that's all he thinks about is having sex with me. I am so turned off, it makes me very upset for him to even mention it. I feel like I am his mother or caregiver, not his wife any more. After a year of urinary tract infections, a catheter, etc. and having to take care of his cleansing and dressing etc. etc. , I have bowed out of any touching, feeling, anything to do with sex. I feel so mean most of the time when he brings it up, and makes me feel guilty. But I feel like I would be physically sick if we even tried anything. He hasn't been able to do much in that area for a couple years, but in HIS mind, he thinks he can. I'm so tired of the arguments of this subject, I feel like dropping him off at nursing home and leaving. I take good care of him, cook him all the good meals he wants, anything else but sex. He is 81 years old, and I'm 75. I think I upheld my marriage vows long enough....LOL......I don't know where this will end, but I'm really getting tired of it. Thanks for listening.
(4)

1 2 3 4 5
Related
Questions