Follow

i received this article this morning. I love the sign for the front door.

https://www.carewell.com/resources/blog/halloween-dementia/?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022-10-30-Su-Newsletter%20%282022-10-30%29&_kx=R_VstsFr8SlMr0BR4qOOv1M027Ajy_zwKE6NP4NYgSo%3D.Haiz7h

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I think ghosts are really just someone who died trying to fold a fitted sheet.
(4)

NO NO NO, don't make information public about handicapped or mentally challenged people living in your house! One Halloween, 5 or 6 scruffy young thugs, about 16 or 17 and a couple of them pretty muscular, knocked on my door as the younger trick-or-treaters and parents were leaving the street. It was a gated neighborhood. They weren't wearing costumes and obviously didn't live there. One of them said "Trick or treat," and I asked where their costumes were. They didn't answer but were giving each other the side-eye. I said, "You don't have bags for the candy," and one of them said, "Go get us some." I immediately closed the door, locked the other doors, and called the police. They sent a squad car right away and said they were glad I'd called. My husband was disabled, and he often was in the yard where passersby would notice that he didn't get around too well. Workers or delivery people were frequently about, and these guys may have been working nearby and decided it would be easy to overpower husband. I'm sure we narrowly avoided being crime victims that night. No more Halloweens for me! I keep the doors locked. If there are children that I know, I give them a bag of candy before the big night.
(3)

Ignore the sign suggestion. Thanks to several reminders! I didn’t think through the article’s suggestion because we no longer have trick-or-treaters since we now live in a gated senior community.

The article does have a lot of other good info to consider.
(2)

Thanks for the reminder, didn’t think through the article’s suggestion. We now live in a gated senior community so no children but your suggestions is what we did before.

(1)

Thanks for the reminder, didn’t think through the article’s suggestion. We now live in a gated senior community so no children but your suggestions are what we did before.

(2)

They are all going to read dementia as demon, lol, and think your house is a halloween friendly place to spook or vandalize.

People have already been murdered and have been injured or died at halloween parties and gatherings. Is it worth the risks?
(0)

Yes, cover the doorbell to hide it, poor kitties!
(0)

Regarding the door sign.... how many children or young adults will even know what is "dementia"? As for leaving out a bowl of candy, 9 times out of 10 there will be some child who will empty the whole bowl leaving none for other children.

Best to not leave out a bowl of candy or even a note on the door. I hadn't handed out candy to kids in decades. The sound of the door bell is like fireworks to the cats on the 4th of July, it really scares them.

Guess a lot depends on the type of home you live in. It can be more difficult if one is in an apartment/condo setting. I am in a single house, I don't turn on the porch lights or security lights until after 10pm. Even my inside auto lights are turned off in those rooms in the front of the house. I watch TV in one of the rooms in the back of the house.
(1)

In this day and age, I don't think we should be putting signs on our front doors explaining who is living there (person with dementia), and pointing out our weaknesses to strangers.

Just my opinion.

Closing up the house, turning off all welcoming lights, and not answering the door is working every year in our neighborhood.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter