Follow

A thread where we can come and share what works and what does not work in the realm of beauty, cosmetic and skin products.
We, caregivers, need to take time out and care for our appearance.
It boosts morale, self esteem and keeps us looking "put together", though we may not feel so much put together on the inside.
Share your beauty, hair, and skin secrets with us. We need all the help we can get, right?
With love for all,
Mulata88

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Wow, long thick eyelashes, Tacy, I'm jealous.................

Mine are short (were black, now mostly white), and hard to grow.............

Oh well............. : ) I do hope you are doing mascara, huh? eh? eh? me oyes?

M 8 8
(0)

Hi DDD!
So do you have lymphedema on your right leg, and boils happen in the upper thigh? Do you know how to do the self lymphedema massage? I learned while working at a hospital.........who knew!?!?!!?
Do you ever consider not shaving armpits, like in MANY countries, they don't! And it would lessen the frequency, almost sure of it.

The single lashes do look gorgeous! But hearing what you have to say, forget it! If it is going to rip the ones I have, uh uh no! The false eyelashes are so SO popular right now, I think more than in the 60's... It's only a guess. But yeah, they do look nice.

Let me know if you have any comments, questions, complaints, hahaha.............and have a great day!

M 8 8
(0)

I did one by one eye lashes at salon about 9 years ago. Felt lovely. Looked lovely. Had less lashes by thevtime they came out. Have not and probably wont ever do it again. I have been thinking of the full lashes that you can puton and off daily for next glamourous splurge. May be there is a good safe way to use the individuals and remove them. Was nice though
(1)

Mulata thank you. I will check at rite aide. So yes i only use one deodorant. First time i got was when i used a nan spray deodorant. And yes it occurs with stress. I did get script 4 antibiotic was told im predisposed to get boils and use bacitration under arms and when shaving. They only on rightsife where i also have lymphydema to r leg from cheerleading incident in hs. The info you shared is very helpful. And yes there is light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks amundo!
(1)

The armpit is one of the "impurity drains of the body". Lymph collects impurities and body gets rid of these thru the kidneys, processed by liver and thru perspiration.
Those boils you mention, DDD, are very painful, aren't they? Lymph also collects in the groin area. And certain people get boils there.
So, it is like the sewer system plugging up.
The sweat gland in the armpit gets clogged... begins to get infected, turns into a boil, ... some go ingrown... some do form a head and come out.
I have found that Tea Tree Oil is an excellent antiseptic.
Have you changed deodorant?
Have you had these boils only when you are under tremendous stress?
Have you notice certain "cycle" to these boils?

I personally (and I am no medical expert), would apply tea tree oil to the boil. They make a soap, called CASTILLIAN SOAP, sold at Rite Aid, Health Food Stores, eBay...........and there is one version of the soap that contains Tea Tree Oil in the right amount, among other natural things. It comes super concentrated so you would need to dilute. It comes with a pump dispenser. I fill up an 8oz bottle with open tip cap... not quite full to the top, a bit less, and deliver 5 pumps of the castillian soap in there.

It is excellent for cleansing the entire body. HOWEVER, if used as shampoo, and I am saving you tons of reading, it DOES strip the hair color. If that is not your issue, bathing with this solution keeps you clean, dandruff free, yeast infection free, body odor free, eczema free, and psoriasis free as well. Excellent foot soak, attacks fungus / fungi of all kinds........

READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. Once you try it, you will love it.

There are other versions, like "ROSE", and "LAVENDER", I believe.

Depends on what you want it to do.

Apply straight tea tree oil to the entire armpit. If you can find a deodorant that has TTO as base, get that.

I understand what it is to be without insurance, or insufficiently insured...........what a raw deal.

Do you juice? Would you be interested in some juicing recipes to cleanse the lymph in the body? If you are, I will look up.

There is light at the end of our tunnel, caregivers!!! Yes there is! M 8 8
(0)

This forum is so helpful. I am encouraged to reach out for solutions for recurrent boils to arm pit. I get these repeatedly. No insurance.. I take a lot of vit c which helps and garlic for other reasons. I use the hot compresses when it flares up but any rememdies to get rid of them for good?
(1)

Rainmom thanks for the information. I did check it out it makes sense. I will run it by her and see what happens. She is stubborn and its hard for me to keep my patience with the sarcastic nasty routine. The lead was very helpful.
(1)

Oh goodness on Wen!!!
It was to me, the greatest thing ever. But pricey.

So, I've been using Paul Mitchell Tea Tree oil conditioner AS A SHAMPOO, and it's been so good!

It doesn't strip the color out.

It controls and balances the pH in the scalp

No itching

Fully moisturizing to hair and scalp

Smells fresh and clean

=========================
●●● KUKUI OIL, good for all over the body. Speaking of dry skin/heels, have you tried an overnight treatment, putting the little white socks on at bedtime?
One thing that you can try is plain vaseline, add a couple of drops of essential oil to it, like lemon, or verbena.... hmmm, lavender! Apply generously to entire foot, nails, cuticles, soles. Put the beauty socks (they barely reach up to your ankle, and they are lightweight).
Mary Kay has a great night face cream that will NOT CAUSE BREAKOUTS, and it is non comedogenic.
Dry face, or dry patches on face are softened. Smells great.
♥♥♥ MARY KAY INTENSE MOISTURIZING CREAM, 1.8 OZ = $20.00 on eBay♥♥
×××××××××××××××××××××××

Mom uses only RoC creams.
She's 91. Looks 71. Not kidding.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

I don't do high heels either (used to).

I am glad that you are posting on this thread.

Hey, anyone can tell me about a good lip stain? Long lasting MATTE finish for lips?

Anyone ever tried MOOD MATCHER BY FRAN WILSON?

Anyone ever tried one by one false eyelashes at the salon?

♡♡♡M 8 8♡♡♡
(0)

Hi Duck!
Yes, the secretions from the sweat glands in the scalp, and the follicles do smell. The more greasy the scalp, the worse it'll be.
Ask the beauty operator what she recommends, that would be easy to use, in between visits to the salon.
It can be very itchy too.
Hair follicles cannot breath and the hair falls out.
Once it's controlled, it will be easier to maintain clean.
Don't buy anything medicated unless the beauty operator recommends it. She has been taking care of your mom's hair..... wonder why she didn't bring this up?

Let us know how it goes

M 8 8
(0)

Duck - Google "sebum". Without getting technical- it's a crusty layer of ick that adheres to the scalp. Kinda like dandruff that doesn't flake and fall away. As it builds it gets nasty smelling and it can
cause balding. Special shampoo is required to really break it down and get rid of it.
(3)

Mulata you are right on. Lots of times Im already down in the dumps so I make the extra effort at times to look nice. It pays off to feel good about your self. I am not a glamour girl thats to much shine but looks good on others. Just sayin it feels nice when I coordinate and plan what I wear and make sure the hair is right. On off days I throw on anything and run an errand but I always wish I had taken more care. The weather is turning hot on this side and I cant camaflogue with a coat so I take time and do a little dolling up.
(1)

My mother has a funny odor that comes from her head when she due for a wash. Its strange and smells bad. She goes to beautician every week but when due her head stinks also she was balding at the crown now is at front. I believe its nerves. Any suggestions?
(1)

Any time someone who saw me accessorizing with a sling would ask me what happened.... my answer would be "I fell off my shoes" :)

Tonight I finally ordered some stuff from Mary Kay. I would be so tried by evenings end I wouldn't even wash my face as bending over the sink would make me light headed.... why do they make sinks so low? Anywho, I bought some cleaner/toner for my face where one uses a cotton ball, so I thought why not give it a try. I just hope 20 year old cotton balls are still good :P
(1)

Went to web to check out Wen immediately upon reading the post but saw a couple of sites from December 2015 that stated "Two hundred people have joined a class-action lawsuit against hair care brand WEN by Chaz Dean and its parent company, Guthy-Renker, claiming the brand's popular products contributed to their extreme hair loss" Felt an obligation to share this...just in case there is truth to it.
(1)

I have gray/white hair and it is thin. I was coloring it. First, it was done at the beautician's....then, because of cost, I decided to do it myself......but when the roots were growing in white so fast, I decided to let it go natural. I use a volumizing shampoo and conditioner....it has cut down on my "care" significantly and looks good too!
(2)

Of course, the best beauty secret is health. Try to get sufficient rest, eat a good diet, and get some sort of circulation through exercise (even mild exercise) and/or massage.

A simple and inexpensive way to darken your hair is to use the liquid from a strong solution of sage tea, and apply it to your hair. Some people put it in a spray bottle. It will wash out, but you can apply it between shampoos.

Pure natural oils are best for the skin. Coconut oil, shea butter, and olive oil are great.

Pure natural cosmetics are also the best. They come as dry powders or clay. Liquid or creamy cosmetics require preservatives and often come with other chemicals as well. They can cause rashes and it's better to avoid them.
(2)

Yea, there was a time when my kids were young and I was a "stay at home mom". Who cared?? Then I got to thinking, what if someone comes to the door, even the Fuller Brush Man? So, I started to taking care of myself again.
I don't wear makeup. My skin looks great. I'm 74 with gray hair; but that is where I get it colored to match my natural gray. I have no eyebrows because of plucking in young life and cancer. So, I get them retatooed every year or so by a licensed lady who gives facials.
Clean clothes every day including underwear. I love me! I love my inner young lady inside me. I have a loving husband, although with dementia, always compliments me on how nice I look. I feel "spunky" because I look good.
Ok, I'm off my soap box.
(3)

thanks for starting this thread MUlatta88. It's fun! (Of course not the part about breaking your arm, freqflyer :(
So this kukie oil...where do you find that? I wonder if it works on just really dry skin? Like the heels of my feet? I live in the desert now after a moist Northern California climate and omg the changes in my skin and hair! I did buy Heel-Tastic from the"as seen onTV section of my grocery store, and ithasworked the best of all I've tried, but I have to keep after it daily. Any suggestions for not only heels but over all dry skin?
(3)

tacy022, I give up on my shoes that had any type of heel when one day I turned my ankle.... fell... and broke my arm. That was a year ago this month, haven't put on heels since. I wear pant suits and tie shoes ever since.

Funny, when we were young and trying to learn how to walk in high heels, it seems time reverses itself now and we are once again trying to learn to walk in high heels :P
(2)

I hate to admit it, but after I quit teaching to stay home with Mom I totally let myself go. Think it was a combo of depression and exhaustion. Some days I didn't even shower or get out of my pajamas! As Cwillie said, no one sees me, so who cares? Well, just NO Cwillie don't do what I did. You care, you matter.
Besides being slovenly, I gained 30 lbs on top of the extra 30 I already carried and one day I just had enough I guess.
I began eating low carb slow but sure and I started inventing recipes to satisfy my cravings forMexican, Italian and Chinese food. And deserts! For the first time in my lifetime of dieting I could finally stick with it and really doesn't feel like a diet at all. Then I got inspired to share and took on the project of writing an e-book for Amazon which is about half finished now. The Title is: Low Carb, Real Life.
Anyway, the extra 30 lbs are gone and now nibbling away at the 30 lbs I've carried all my adult life. IT's like a miracle to me. I bought some new clothes, colored my blonde hair after letting roots grow out for months and I am really feeling so much better. My previous posts on here show my depressed state. Now both my mother and I are doing better.
I used to get tired of hearing "take are of yourself too". Was like, "yeah sure, with what time and with what money". But little things do add up. So my fellow caregiving ANGELS, Take Care of Yourselves!
(4)

Are you what in fashion now is called BOHO? Having blisters after heels, no good.

I think I am just keeping the "beauty" from the neck up. How's that? ; ^ )

M 8 8
(1)

Ladies, ladies, ladies!

We are caregivers, but we need the mirror to say HI! YOU ARE LOOKING GOOD! YOU MUST BE TAKING GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF!
How are we going to keep going..............if we don´t care for ourselves???

CWillie, don´t you look at yourself?

I stopped looking.........and when I did look again, whoah!!! who was that¡!?!?!?!? It was me! I said, oh no! Mom looks 10 times better than me, and no, I am not going to have it. HAHA!

So, here I go with the face cream at night, aromatherapy, sound machine aka: sound of brooke, fake brooke obviously, since we are in a drought here in Cali.

I looked and I saw that most of my EYELASHES are white now............????? Had no idea that would happen, but mom tells me: UUGGHH, you look like my MIL, in other words my grandmother on the evil side, aka my dad's side...........

I said jokingly: Mom, YOU PICKED THEM, (meaning my dad and his family), haha, she laughed and laughed.

So, my feet look like my dad's...................she picked him

I look like his mother....................part of the package.

I found some good face soap, goat's milk, at Grocery Outlet. Leaves skin smooth and hydrated. No more kabuki feeling face. HA!

OH, and the Mary Kay lady................hahaha, mine also gave up. But I got some MK on eBay!!! Hint Hint... FreqFlyer, they probably have your favorites. And they are open 24-7, just like us! Yay!

So, even when I take mom to her appointment(s) and hubby to his, I need to look presentable. I look around at other caregivers and I FEEL LIKE THEY LOOK!!!

Chin up! Oh, pluck those there under the chin too!

M88
(5)

No one sees me so who cares how I look?
(3)

Mulata88, thanks for all the great suggestions.

I have found after dealing with my parents for the past 7 years, I have given up pretty much anything that has to do with skin or hair care.

I use to use eye liner, but now I am so stressed out that I can't paint on a straight line anymore my hand shakes too much :P

Some day I will get back to it... my Mary Kay consultant thought I had disappeared off the face of this earth.
(2)

I asked a very young looking lady, what was her secret, her face had minimal wrinkles..............and she was no young chick.
She answered: DRINK LOTS OF WATER EVERY DAY!

That was her secret.................no beauty creams, etc. Just H20, wow!

M88
(4)

i am mulata88, and i have found the "perfect for me" gray hair coverage finally!!!!!
i have been coloring my hair for 25 years. so, yes, i have tried it all. of course, salon coloring is done by the professional, but so is the price.
here is my "secret", not too many of my friends / acquaintances know i color my hair.........
sally's beauty supply. ion hair creme, permanent color (in a tube). ion developer, 20% volume at 1:1 ratio = 2oz of hair color creme, 2oz of developer. i get the developer for sensitive scalp.
no ammonia odor, no burn.
apply color generously to side burns, hair above ears, and hair around the forehead. i use a flat brush (same store), it gives me good handling, good 2 inch coverage. long tail in brush helps part the hair.
once you've soaked the areas where you have the most stubborn gray, proceed to the entire head. make small parts on your head, starting from the face toward the back of the head. with a comb, comb the side that has been colored, proceed to the next parting. for shoulder length hair or shorter, you only need what i mentioned. for longer hair... i don't know. probably double it. like i said, i don't know.
i was using 30% volume developer thinking it would work better??? not on gray growth.
i watched several youtube programs, where it is very well explained, tried it and finally got the results i wantedddddd!!!
i am mexican, so my hair is dark brown, but so much of it is gray now... i am almost 55 and not ready to go gray...........not now.
i use a teatree oil conditioner after the color treatment, which i leave on for 1 hour. oh, 10 minutes before the hour, i do get the little bit i saved in the bowl and put it on my ends. it colors them enough, and does not fry them.
mexican hair has the tendency to go reddish. which i would like to avoid..............so my color is a medium ash brown. avoids the reddish tone.
ok, have you guys seen the commercial about wen? the cleansing conditioner that claims it is the best thing that will happen to your hair and scalp??? it is true! it is true!
wen, by chaz dean (i believe) has the best product ever.
you wash your hair with sulfite free product which is only one product. no more shampoo and conditioner, just the wen....................
i have bought it on ebay because buying it thru the wen website costs a fortune and you have to be a subscriber.........................and it is pricey.
you might like to check amazon. not sure.
when i need to "treat" my hair to a spa like feeling, i use this oil: kukui nut oil.........best thing e-v-e-r!!! e-v-e-r!!!
if you know anyone who suffers from psoriasis..................kukui nut oil!!! no prescription, treatment, dermatologist, creams, lotions, medicated, non medicated......................kukui nut oil is the answer for psoriasis and eczema.............
husband has suffered from these skin conditions for 20 years................now skin is like a baby's bottom, i am not exaggerating..........................anyway........................my hair is right above shoulder length, naturally wavy, dark brown with more than 65% gray now. ion products are very easy on the hair. and wen has a hair creme for frizzies and fly-aways, i use about a pea size to tame the side burn area, and the temple area.
maybe we should open a post thread called "beauty ideas"? "beauty and the beast", hahaha.......................whatever. we need to look good because it makes us feel better...............sigh!!!!!!!!!!
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter