Follow

Just needed somewhere to let some steam off I guess. My grandmother has been in the hospital, with a 2 day stop in assisted living, since the day after Christmas. She went in with shingles and now this morning she flat lined and this is all after the overnight doctor said she may be good enough to release back to assisted living 2 days ago! I just don't know how to feel right now. My 6 year old son and 2 year old daughter are always with her and she LOVES them. She was crying in the hospital just the other night about not seeing them for nearly a month and a half. I would have brought them up there but shingles are very contagious and my wife and I both had the Flu. I just feel like she is giving up because she couldn't see her best friends.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
asjdwf, most hospitals will not children into the ICU wing, the writers above had some great ideas to cheer Grandmother up.

But I am confused regarding your Grandmother's medical condition. Correct me if I am wrong here, she went into the hospital due to shingles? Oh by the way, shingles is less contagious than chickenpox so unless your children never had the chickenpox vaccine, they couldn't catch it from their Great-Grandmother. Shingles heal in 4 weeks which would mean your Grandmother should have left the hospital the end of last month. Why was she kept for another month?

As for the recent heart stopping and now being on a ventilator, did the doctor indicate what caused that? Is she able to communicate? Is she awake?

I hope she recovers soon and is back at her home.
(0)

Maybe you could video tape a message in an iPhone and let the kids tell grandmom what they did that day. Then she could hear and pissible see them talking to her. My heart goes out to you and your family
(2)

Music is great therapy. I read years ago that Israeli doctors were experimenting with using soothing music for patients coming out of anesthesia.

When my father was in a medically induced coma, I sang to him and played his favorite CDs on a portable CD player. He was connected to a brain monitoring machine (I don't remember the name of it), so I watched the patterns of his brain when I sang or played music. The ICU nurses told me he was definitely responding to music.
(1)

Gotta agree with Pam. We made a recording of my three kids singing and put the tape in dad's walkman.He had pnemonia, was in the hospital at death's door. The tape made him laugh. Which led to coughing. Which led to recovering.
(3)

Have the kids sing her favorite song and record it. Then have the nurses play it back for her. She will love it.
(2)

Im so sorry you're going through this! (((((((Hugs))))))))
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter