Follow

When it comes to things like beauty, home remedies and everyday lifehacks, grandma almost always knows best. Let’s discuss those tried-and-true bits of wisdom imparted to us by our grandparents (or any older, wiser loved one).

I remember my grandmother always bringing a banana wrapped in a paisley handkerchief (to prevent bruising) in her purse—no matter where she was going. What did your grandparents do or say that still sticks in your mind today?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
OMG Luanner, that is the cutest thing I've ever heard, about the toothpick thrashing!
(0)

My G -ma's house was my 'safe place' when I was growing up.
When I would misbehave she would threaten me by saying she would give me a 'severe thrashing with a toothpick.' Just a small example of her gentleness.
(1)

"Enoughs enough and too much stinks".
(0)

Well - if you are convinced that grandmother knew best you can try hanging a cod's head in a sweaty sock around you neck until your cold - and all your friends - has gone.

Good luck with that, but don't visit me until you are cured and rid of the remedy!
(2)

Sadly my grandparents never told us what to do or gave advice. They did however, lead by example. They ate whole fresh food and exercised daily by mowing their lawns or cleaning their homes/apartment that were kept spotless. The way they dressed, they said, showed respect for others. They were frugal and proud that they never took money from welfare or unemployment or anyone else. At times they did lend money to friends, that they did not ask back. They worked hard in basic jobs all their lives. My grandfather swept floors. They were loving and kind although none of them had formal education beyond high school. I think of them often when I am faced with life's decisions.
(3)

Mom would remind to make sure I had tissues/Kleenex in my purse. She said you never knew when you went into a restroom if there would be any tp or not. Let me tell you....more than once I was so glad she told me!!! After while I would check first when I got into the stall, but sometimes it was hard to tell how much was left. There might not be time to check and go to another stall! Or none available because so many people.
(2)

My mother said that her grandmother, my great grandmother and namesake, would look at Mom, the oldest of 8, covered in dust and dirt from playing outside in rural Mississippi and say, "Ya gotta eat a peck of dirt before you die, might as well start young". It certainly took the pressure off my grandmother to keep all those kids sparkling clean all the time.
(2)

Always always always run errands looking your best. Not "church best" but certainly never in clothes you wear around the house. Sadly, it is not advice I follow all the time.

One I DO follow is "the morning hours are golden", meaning get all your chores out of the way during the morning hours.
(3)

My maternal grandmother wore purple in some form or another everyday. In the winter she wore a deep violet coat with matching shoes. During the hotter months she would drape a scarf around her neck or through a belt loop. Purple is the color for royalty she would explain to me, and Grandma was as regal as they come ... and from the way the towns people treated her, I believe she WAS royal.
(1)

My grandmother said that when you start something new, start it on a Friday. I asked if she meant Monday, but no - Friday. She passed away on a Friday.
(4)

LOL, Always eat lots of fiber and you MUST poo every day. Nice girls do not whistle though their lips. Always save the buttons off discarded clothing. The BEST advice is : Never speak to your spouse in a way that YOU would not like to be spoken to. Excellent advice still today and I remember it often.
(3)

My grandmother always said to save money for a rainy day because the rain always comes. I attribute my own financial success to the lessons in frugality and saving first that I learned from her.
(4)

the memory that is close to my heart is, I uses to take a week off every summer from work and I did it for about 15 yrs. I would take my Nana, her sister [my grand Aunt and my draughter on [1] week vacations by car, plane, train or boat. we would have a great time. My Aunt would make a daily log and take picutres of the trips we took. She was also my navigator I can not tell you how many time we got lost but we would laugh and laugh about it.. No GPA in those days just road maps. From time to time I will take out the logs and pictures and look at them and now I share them with my granddaughter. These memoies are so precious to me.
(4)

My paternal grandmother was a master quilter and seamstress and a faithful servant of God and a master pianist. I never had the chance to meet my mother's mother as she died at a very young age when I was only 1 year of age. But I take care of my mother who is 91 next month and cherish every day with her. I remember many things about my "Granny" but don't have room to say everything here so I will say the one thing that always stuck in my mind that she said. It was, "When in doubt, don't." I love it. I still use that advice to this day. God bless you, one and all.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter