Follow

Hello,
My father is beginning to decline faster then what the family anticipated and because I work from home I am going to be helping my Mom care for my Dad until we can find a part-time caregiver. I have looked at agencies that "help" you find a caregiver but all I get is spam calls now from different companies that have nothing to do with healthcare and telemarket me constantly now. I'm looking for a legit company that I can count on to find and use my contact information only for what I am requesting and not sell my number to other totally off topic companies. Has anyone had any luck? I am looking for someone in Virginia.
Thank you all for any help. Hang tough and keep on trucking!

Find Care & Housing
VI siting angels if u have them there. We're in Alabama. Also ask his Dr to set up home health...they have bath aides and nurse that comes once or twice a week . They check meds, vitals, talk to dr for stuff u don't wanna go in for. They also do wound care. Be careful that they take his insurance 1st. They can even do physical therapy at home if his Dr writes order for strengthening or leg exercises. My dad's using a walker and a scooter. The scooter has been a blessing!!!!!visiting angels here is 22bux an hr
(0)

I worked for both Home.Instead and Visiting Angels.

They were quite similar, from the low pay to the hours you could work---your caregiver is going to be the one you fit with the best. Likely you'll go through several until you find a good match.

Both of these are National and franchised, so will vary from company to company.

I enjoyed CG and was good at it. Ultimately, though, the incredibly poor pay made me seek employment elsewhere. The turnover in one company was a solid 100% within 18 months. I lasted longer, but only b/c my clients family tipped me out each month (working through the agency) so I was making a decent wage. I could not stay working for a company that never gave raises, didn't pay OT or even acknowledge me as a person. That's this particular owner's problem, not indicative of the whole franchise.
(2)

Definitely do a background check. (Care.com may already do this - I am not sure)

I would also recommend installing camera(s) in your home if you don't already have. It will give you a lot of peace of mind. There are very inexpensive options available on Amazon.

I first used a camera while my grandma was temporarily staying with me. I used it to detect motion, so it notified my phone when she was getting up. In addition to the camera I bought an inexpensive call button on Amazon she was able to press and "call" me.

Hope this helps!
(1)

Thank you all for your help and information. I appreciate your time.
(2)

Care.com. Found 3 potential carers including a retired policeman, a nurse and a young man just starting out.

The fun part is deciding among the 3 since they all have what I'm looking for in a carer

They're good you can see photos of some carers and choose a male or female if you have a preference. Some sites don't have these features.
(0)

I used agingcare.com to help me find caregiver service for my dad.

Homeinstead.com or you can call them directly.

Multiple locations throughout Virginia.
(0)

There is a book published called: "Dementia Self-Management Guidebook". You can obtain a copy at DEER Program@unr.edu. This is, I'm told, a good self help book. Good luck.
(0)

Just make sure whoever u hire has had background checked by the agency or you do one. Even thru an agency I may want to see previous references and call them. Being on time and not taking off a lot of time are too important things. Besides being able to get along with people as a whole.
(1)

Call their local Area Agency on Aging and ask for a Needs Assessment and Case Management services.

In many cities, they will assign an elder a social worker to help set up care

They can also provide information on Adult Day Care, which might be a good option
(1)

Care.com

Nextdoor.com (this is an intranet of your actual neighbors and community, non-anonymous). Sign up and post a request for recommendations for caregiving agencies.

Visiting Angels (a national franchise): I've used them in south FL and had a good experience. Many other agencies tend to be regional or local.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter