Getting paid from family

Follow

My mom wants to start paying me to take care of her finances (bills, insurance etc). Fortunately money is not an issue for her, and taking care of her finances does take up a lot of time. How much is fair and should there be a contract?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Comments

Show:
1 2 3 4
God bless you, too, MsDiva. I hope your good memories replace the difficult times soon and you feel better.
(0)

kat123
its easy to say that ask for help but when i did ask for help they thought they were suppose to get money for it.. go figured thants nice you had help some of us didn't so may god bless you
(0)

THANK YOU LOVINGDAUGHTER BUT I HAVE COUNTED MY BLESSING EACH AND EVERY DAY BUT LIKE IT WAS SAID UNTIL YOU WALK THE SHOES OTHERS HAS WALK THEN U FEEL THEN NEED NOT TO JUDGE BUT TO READ TO SEE WHAT WE HAD PUT ON HERE. THE SADDNESS ,THE GRIEF, ETC ETC I COME ON HERE TO VENT AND TO READ AND TRY TO GIVE ADVICE TO OTHERS HOPING THEY WILL DO THE RIGHT THING WHAT EVER THEY ARE GOING THROUGH I DNT WANT TO BE BADGERED FOR WHAT I HAVE DONE WHICH WAS NOTHING.THANK YUO I APPRECIATE WHAT YOU SAID
(0)

Agree with Lovingdaughter - there should be no judgements on this site. Unless you have "walked a mile in someone's shoes" you will never know all that they have had to deal with. The problem is that you go through the motions for soo long and the resentment builds and then it blows, but no one thinks about how you got there, just that you "blew" over something minor. It took ALOT to get to that point. I found that when I got to the point of breaking, feeling like I was going to work everyday instead of caring for my Mom - I just told my sibilings that I couldn't do it by myself. Surprise! they did not have a clue & stepped up to help. Sometimes you gotta ask for help. God Bless you all, and take precautions for YOUR old age :). We will be there some day.
(1)

This site works well when we all know that we all have different situations. No, we should not judge, only support and help one another. Do we all have the perfect situation, no. Do we all go into this job as caregivers knowing the right thing to do,no. And that is the reason we are all here: to learn and support.
Please try to remember that when we read these posts. Otherwise, we will not feel safe coming here and unloading our sorrows, fears and yes, sometimes relief and joy. Go to the"count my blessings" thread and read some of those. I find it helps . Have a peaceful and productive day.
Linda
(1)

you know i had to sleep on it n1k2r3, but you know i have been through alot but whatever you have been through i hope it was far better than what i been through and it hurts alot i have cried so many times even after the first yr i was with my dad my family lied to from the jump just to keep me here to do the job we all should have did together and i stood alone by my self with none of their help and it wasn't fair coming from a family of 12 and dad jump all over them for reason to get to me i am the 9th now thats way down the ladder.......I have only one regret i should have stood my ground a little harder but i htought of my dad and my family so i carried this ball alone and i got s----ed on...so when you come from a family of 12 and ur the only child left to take care of your parents you let me know how you will feel at the end......may god bless you and keep you near to him....cuz i know he does for me
(0)

for one you dnt know the whole story so im not gonna go there with you o.k. its WAS NONE OF THERE BUSINESS I DO NOT HAVE A ATTITUDE and for one u need to read back to alot of comments before you judge anyone i did what i had to do and to add insult to injury you dnt know the HELL i went through with my siblings over my parents and im not gonna sit here and explain to about it im very happy of the outcome my sisters and brothers can rot in hell the mess they did to my parents when i wasn't here so now speak only what you know..in which you dnt know..like i said the lord is my lawyer they spent a lot of mone for what to get nothing i woulld't have charge them to tell them that i won cause they really thought they won til they found out the REAL deal of what my dad left so NOW...and i lie i said before i dnt need an understanding judge the mess is over ..FOR GOOD
(0)

Ms. Diva, &You have an attitude. It is the business of all your siblings as to what you spent on your parents prior to their death. Leave the Lord out of it. You need an accountant as well as a lawyer. Litigation is not fun. No one wins. If a judge finds you liable for undocumented funds, you will have to come up with the money and possibly return some of it to your siblings.
Let's hope that you get an understanding judge.
(0)

Ixiimom: How could you NOT keep records????? No certified
copies? The POA should have been taken away from you. Caregiving isn't a game. It is a serious emotional, physical and financial endeavor.
(0)

ixiimom

Something smells fishy about a third party telling you and your husband that his dad took away his DPOA and gave it to his step-brother.

It is an abstruction of justice for a lawyer for the step-brother's atty to keep your records that would show your innocence from being available. Lawyers do this kind of thing sometimes and they are breaking the law. What is going on between the step-brother and his step-dad that your father-in-law has just cut his son and you out of any communication.?

I'd about hire a private dedective to look into what is really going on here. The step-brother must have a lot of money to hire two attys in two different states and it sounds like he's trying to get his step-dad's entire estate and rip ya'll off at the same time.
(1)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions