Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
The men in the family think we are making a mountain out of a mole hill, but he has worked and saved so hard that it hurts to think of him having to start over again with nothing, especially when he's so far away.
(5)

He's too busy to talk. And he can be sent home right up until he is sworn in at graduation on the 1st of April, so he needs to mind his p's and q's.
(3)

Can you get his cell phone number?
(1)

cw - so he took the posting and she isn't going with him. Good for him.
(2)

Someone has a bed they will donate. Sis has been storing his couch. We've been scrounging small housewares and linens. But that's pretty much it. This is so dysfunctional because he assumes GF will be shipping her/their stuff and it seems clear to us she has no intention of sending much of anything - why would she if she has no intention of ever joining him.

An added stress is that all communication goes through GF, so we are scrambling to know the shipping details.
(2)

CW, I'd recommend buying one of those mattresses in a box and half fold metal box springs from eBay or Amazon and having that shipped to him. They are shipped usually within about a week or so and very easy to set up. I bought a memory foam mattress that came with two free memory foam pillows included in the price. They are very reasonable and surprisingly comfortable and sturdy. When you first get the box, you're thinking, "No way is there a full size mattress in there!" But it is vacuum sealed and expands very quickly once taken out and set up. Frames can be found there as well as Walmart.com or some place similar like Costco, etc.
(2)

If he is not sure GF is coming, and they can't divide the furniture, hit the local goodwill, etc and get some furniture in time for the free shipping! My daughter did get some decent things at these places for her first apt. And have the relatives see what they can donate to his cause. I know I can always come up with some kitchenware , sheets, towels etc. Take full advantage of the free shipping! Look on your local online "yard sale "sites,, they have tons of things!
(2)

Laughing about the tech here.. Yes I watch DVDs, and I get my new stuff from the library,, they have a great selection. Even the new releases you used to get from the Blockbuster! And we still have things on VHS,, guess we will until the machine dies.. LOL We live out in the boonies, and all our tech is satellite , so heck I have never even checked out streaming.. but I know I can on my laptop and phones, kindle, etc. I already pay through the nose for sat TV, so mom can watch her shows.. but hubs and I only watch about 4 channels..LOL So I guess I am just too cheap to try out the other pay services. Plus our library also has a service called Hoopla, I get the british dramas from it, and it is free too.. I just download while at work and watch at home.. you get 3 days and 12 "rentals" a month .
(1)

This is a small town, like 1000 people small.
Housing is already arranged and one time shipping is paid for by his employer. There is no telling if GF will ever join him and we don't want him sleeping on the floor without so much as pillow and a sheet to cover him while he waits for her to make up her mind. Basically he needs everything, but we are trying to assemble the bare necessities.
(1)

Maybe waiting until his girlfriend can join him....
He can rent a furnished room, temporary.....Or try air BNB rentals.
If he will have transportation, he can drive/shop one hour away.
Time to not help too much, ask him what he needs, send that via Amazon.
Bachelorhood is so temporary, a true learning experience not to be missed if one is to become a man. Imo.
(2)

OK folks, dear nephew is starting a new job in a tiny little town 2000 miles away. Because this is a tiny town (nearest larger shopping centre is over an hour away) and he will begin work right away he will need everything necessary to set up his home shipped, and we are having a hard time deciding just what to send. Any thoughts?

Just to add, since he shared a home with his GF and she is not moving (at least not right away🙄) much of his/their stuff is in limbo, it would have been much simpler to just pack and move their whole apartment.
(3)

I'm sticking to my beloved period dramas, then.

Your comments, Lu and Fraz, reminded me of something a mentor said to me years ago, how "the news will tell you the 10 worst things that happened that day, but they won't tell you the best things that happened that day."

Maybe being informed about the 10 worst things on any given day isn't so great.

Send, Roku came pre installed on my TV. I wasn't sure about the role it played but makes sense it's an internet video streaming type service technology.
(2)

One can get Blondie videos on Roku, YouTube is free.
A Roku box requires an internet connection.
One can purchase a Roku box for about $30-40.
It is a video streaming player.
Netflix is my go to for watching anything. But the latest seasons of t.v. series is not available.
News channels are a real pain, not always on.
(1)

I still have the images I saw on the news in my mind that I saw on TV just before Christmas.....It was a story about road rage that had occurred that day and I wish I never heard it.
(2)

I had to quit watching the news. It makes me sad, but also makes me angry. Every now and then I'll read some of it online and wish I hadn't.

Is it bad that I still use DVDs and have a VCR/VHS tapes? Though I do watch stuff on YouTube also and have contemplated a Netflix subscription, but haven't followed through. Guess that makes me somewhat up to speed on things. I still prefer a good book to any of the above (the paper and binding kind).
(4)

Oh haii! (<-- Internet lingo) I see Blondie lyrics, and references to Roku box/tv reception/channels. Even I, your barely younger techie guide, doesn't know *exactly* what Roku does...

Except that it gives one free movies to watch, and lots of them. Netflix is a small cost monthly, and many more movies to watch.

I would be using my subscription better if I would turn it off, and turn on the nightly news instead. It might make me more sad but I'd be more informed.

It's a lovely distraction, though. I seem to make my way to period piece movies and shows every time. Versailles on Netflix is a perpetual favorite.

Video tech lost me at BluRay, too. My ex obsessively collected BluRay dvds and I think he'll have an enviable collection at some point down the road...

My vinyl albums/LPs are worth something now, why not dvds..?
(1)

A Roku box...?

My turn!

Technology lost me at BluRay.
(3)

Me neither. Not today, and not yesterday CM.
Watching Netflix from a Roku box does not keep anyone in the loop.
(3)

Today's world, Send?! Debbie Harry was my idol (her and Miss Piggy) when I was fifteen. Nowadays I read the reviews and the art sections and the magazine covers and I have absolutely no idea who anybody is, sigh...
(8)

Wow, Did not even realize lyrics like that existed!
Do not know much about today's world, but happy that someone else is keeping up. I think.
(1)

I think it's on Eat To The Beat, isn't it? Will go and dust off my LPs and check...
(1)

Rapture, by Blondie.
(2)

You've lost me MsM, I haven't a clue.
(2)

It twirls upside down and lands on your head and
then you're in the man from Mars
you go out at night and eat up ......
(2)

Wet Feet? :(
(4)

What happens when "we kick the bucket?"
(2)

Found a bucket for my list.
After reading on another thread, I think I should save the bucket to pee in, just in case I get old.
(7)

Hi Gershun. We had mice eating dog treats in the console for training the dog.  We also have a feeder for woodpeckers and other birds, who drop seeds on the porch.  The dog has become very good at chasing the squirrels, and even the mice.  Stone walls are hiding places for the mice, and our dog caught, killed, and showed me what a good job he's doing.  We couldn't keep them out of the garage or car, even after cleaning out everything.  Golden, nice idea.  One day this winter we were visited by a white weasel, who cleaned out all the mice.  Much better than a dog catcher!
(2)

At one point the garage had much more in it than now, including paper towel, The local squirrel loved it, chewed it up and left shreds everywhere. We cleaned out the garage, including the paper towel, and the problem went away. The squirrel is still around, Years ago a squirrel perched up high in the garage and wouldn't leave. I tried to attract it out by leaving food but it wouldn't budge. So I figured no more mr nice guy, lowered the garage door leaving just enough space for the creature to escape and turned on the car. It didn't like the exhaust fumes, left and never tried to take up residence there again - just made forays for paper towel.
They are quite territorial. When I returned after the forest fire and evacuation, the lawn was quite overgrown so I got someone to cut it. The squirrel had enjoyed having the run of the garden with no disturbance for a while, and was quite put out by the lawn mowing. He ran up and down the driveway chattering loudly, obviously rather annoyed.
(5)

I worry about that Barb, the squirrels in this town have a reputation for snacking under the hood and mom's caregiver had her wires chewed by squirrels while she was working here. Having neighbours that actually feed the tree rats (and probably lots of other little critters too) does not help.😠
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter