Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Some of you may remember my whine about trying to search for books on the Cloud Library. I just spent over 45 minutes scrolling through authors sorted alphabetically when the app informed me that there were no more books available - but I'd only gotten to the end of the B's 😠. I've had similar results searching by date, when books are added to the library & title, I guess we are all supposed to be happy just reading the most current offerings of the most popular authors 🙄😣
(2)

When my elder loved one dies, I will miss his sweet presence. But he did not die last night.
Mediating this chaos, drama, and misinformation in my mind for now. Trying to understand other's grief. Offer grace and
mercy to people who practice divination, follow doctrines of demons....it hurts me to see this.
(2)

AARP ... You are a senior @ 50
Housing... You are a senior @ 55
To get help from the senior center... You are 62 or older
To collect social security in the US,... you retire at 65

Rarely can a woman have it both ways: Lie about our age being younger; or be old enough to get that discount!

Thinking I am going to start lying about my age.
Wait! There may be a Pepperidge Farm outlet near me!
(3)

Our Pepperidge Farm outlet store just reopened, and Tues and Wed are Senior days.. I am always happy to get my discount,, so just be happy and say thank you! I got 3 big bags of bread, cookies and goldfish for $10. Win Win!!
(2)

When I glanced at my grocery receipt I noticed that the cashier gave me the seniors discount, I don't know whether to be offended or rueful that I didn't buy more than bananas and english muffins🤔😛
(4)

The cops would be doing nothing else. Same thing here over any number of things. Then cops make the public statements.😦
(3)

My Governor mandated that everyone has to wear a mask in public or get a $500.00 dollar find; however, the police in my city went on record saying they WILL NOT be handing out fines. What is the point of having laws if no one is going to enforce them!😠
(2)

I really can't understand what is going on there Send, your numbers would have me hiding not swimming 😶🙏
(3)

Woo-hooey here Cwillie.
We received a notice that our community pool is opening today.
Just as the Governor, County, City, and Health Dept. are closing down most everything again. Somebody has gotta be wrong.

No longer listening, but complying with the strictest mandates and orders. Then, when they deem it safe to open for economy reasons, I continue to comply with the strictest previous orders.
(2)

Woo-hoo, we're moving into Phase 3 on Friday!
(4)

I just got back from the dentist - no sign of a new cavity or abscess under that wonky molar (TG), the dentist thinks it's just extra sensitive due to an injury and should keep gradually improving.
I actually like the new protocols at the dentist better than what used to be standard practice, as far as I'm concerned they can do away with all the rinsing (usually with icy cold water - ouch!) and consequent suction permanently.
(4)

cw - I remember your concerns. People in general don't act on suggestions as well as to mandates. From what I have read about facility inspections, things have been very lax on both the part of the inspectors and the "inspectees". That needs to change. I think we have been too loosey-goosey in a number of instances. Expecting, for example, travelers to self quarantine after returning to Canada was not as successful as it needed to be. The wearing of masks is another. It is not mandated here yet. I wish it was. It's better to err on the side of caution with this virus. Mask it or casket!!!
(3)

What happened in Ontario retirement and nursing homes was exactly what I feared given my personal experiences. I think that public health has still not learned the lesson that "guidance" is not the same as "mandated", there was guidance early on about restricting staff moving between facilities and when to screen and how to used PPE but I know for a fact that some (most?) facilities felt that didn't apply to them because (insert reason 1,2,3...), outbreaks continued to happen until the "suggestions" became mandates. Loosey-goosey doesn't cut it, people don't get the message unless it is clearly laid out.

We are seeing the same thing now with mask use, it was "strongly suggested" both federally and provincially that people wear some kind of face covering when physical distancing can't be guaranteed, but what exactly does that mean? Until local health units began mandating it was not common at all in my area, our mask mandate goes into effect next Friday and today was the first day I have been out that mask users possibly outnumbered those who don't.
(2)

cm - of course the reporting/numbers are to be questioned. I totally agree. However, I think there is no doubt that Canada has not done well by its seniors. Most of our numbers come from 2 provinces - Quebec and Ontario and some very serious deficits have been uncovered in terms of senior facility care there and in other provinces. It seems these are being addressed. I hope so. In general, in Canada, outbreaks are more common in senior facilities than any other type of facility. If it is preventable in other facilities, it is preventable in senior facilities.

On the whole Canada has done fairly well - very well other than Quebec and Ontario, Hopefully we all will be better prepared for the next one, and there will be a next one.
(3)

I'm so glad to hear that there are compassionate exceptions, CW. Our trip to Labrador and Newfoundland will have to wait until 2021 or the year after. Hope are still in shape to hike by then.
(0)

We have those stories on this side of the border too BB, in addition lots of border towns/cities have family members who are now separated and who often commuted daily.
For those with real need there is a loophole that apparently many people have used successfully, while the land border is closed flights are still taking off and landing between our two countries.
(1)

CW, I hope you understood that I meant that I think the congressmen have some nerve, not the Canadians. There are sad, sad stories about families separated from dying loved ones and one unhappy man in Michigan who has a cabin in Canada. The security alarm keeps going off and he has no idea if the batteries are low of if folks are breaking in. I think there should be some compassionate relief, or at least clever solutions to these issues (cant the alarm company send someone out?), but I cant see opening the border, given the level of denial in the US.

There was a terribly said story in the NYT the other day about nurses from around the country who voluntarily came to NYC and height of our numbers. Returning home to their communities, they are being told that this disease is a hoax. Very sad. Very disturbing.
(1)

Call me an old cynic if you like, Golden, but I suspect Canada is better at counting than some other countries, rather than worse at looking after their seniors.

The numbers are tricksy, I mind - I know we're including (or supposed to be) people who die with, as well as of; but there are ambiguities in the system and I strongly suspect they account for a good many of the apparent differences from country to country, region to region, health authority to health authority.
(3)

Gershun, there were fireworks here that night. I heard them. Terrible about Nick C.

Amen, cw. Keep our borders closed. I think handling border issues well whether it between provinces or countries is one of the keys to keeping society safer. IMO Canadian borders should have been closed sooner.

On another note, but a Canadian and aging care one, we have the unhappy distinction of having the highest rate of death from covid of seniors - about 80% compared to about half that in other countries on average.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-canada-long-term-care-deaths-study-1.5626751

"The analysis released Thursday by the Canadian Institute for Health Information provides a damning snapshot of senior care as of May 25, when long-term care residents made up 81 per cent of all reported COVID-19 deaths in the country compared to an average of 42 per cent among all countries studied."

Examining the means of reporting of senior deaths from covid in various countries may mitigate this a bit, but I think it is a wake-up call that, hopefully, will much improve the safety of senior care in Canada.
(1)

BB - I think their call to reopen reflects what I am continually reading about the attitude of many American citizens who seemingly think that everything is "fine" and returning to "normal" despite the ballooning numbers in many states. If Americans choose to take the risk I guess that is their right but don't be surprised when others refuse to accept the same point of view.
(And I can't help but remember that in March your president floated the possibility of sending troops to the border to keep Canadians out)
(1)

Theyve got some nerve, CW. Stay well.
(0)

Apparently 29 American Congressmen are are pushing to start reopening the border between Canada and the USA. Uhm, speaking as a Canadian H3LL NO.
(5)

Willie, I agree about Nick Cordero. So tragic that he lingered for so long and then the inevitable happened. His poor wife was so hopeful throughout. Very tragic story.
(1)

Well Canada Day, July1st was a bust here. No fireworks, nothing. But here in Canada we don't make as big a deal about these things. I know the 4th of July is a big deal in the States. We here in Canada just do our thing and apologize a lot.

So sorry I forgot to say Happy 4th to you who live in America. So so sorry.............!

I know it was understated this year for obvious reasons.

Did I mention how sorry I am for forgetting to say happy fourth of July.

Sorry for saying sorry so much. :)
(2)

I'm not into Broadway but I've been following the local news coverage about Nick Cordero's battle with covid19 as it went from bad to worse. Ugh, what a tragedy :(
(2)

I live in MN by a large lake near the Twin Cities. Our small lakeside town sets up a barge on the lake and puts on a fireworks show every 4th. Those with boats fill the lake at 10pm to watch. They also have an orchestra or band in the bandshell at the lakeside park and it is quite a charming (and crowded) event. There is something magical about seeing hundreds of shimmering boat lights and being cheek-to-jowl on the water. But this year many of the towns cancelled fireworks due to covid. So the local family that owns Cambria countertops (https://www.cambriausa.com) funded and ran the lake fireworks on the water instead. And it was better than the town's usual fair. Those evil, greedy capitalists! Celebrating our imperfect country and imperfect freedom was not cancelled. Winston Churchill said that democracy is the worst form of government...except for all the others. Also, freedom isn't free. It never was, never will be. Thank you to all who defend it!
(1)

We've had sporadic fireworks ever since the May long weekend, I mostly don't even bother to get up to check where they are coming from any more but someone who must have been just down the street put on a real show Wednesday that lasted nearly half an hour. Years ago my grandmother had a spent rocket almost come through her window so I always wonder where they are aiming those things.
(1)

It was 90 degrees here in Upstate New York. It is 66 degrees now and it is 11:43pm and the fireworks are still going off in my neighborhood. I have 3 cats. One of them is really scared and hiding.
(1)

Enjoying nature's fireworks, hopefully keep the others at bay! Was 94 a few hours ago, now 64, great sleeping weather is not too noisy.

A happy and quiet fourth everyone!
(1)

What was her answer, CWillie?

🚶‍♀️ 🏃
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter