Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
FF I had to laugh! After we lived n our present home for 4 years.. we got a long photo filled loving family letter,, from people we did not know! To our name! Seems they were relatives of the people we bought the house from. A.. how did they get our name? B.. How did they not know we were not their relatives? we sent the letter back with a very nice letter, including the real relatives new address. I;m guessing they may need one of our threads..LOL
(3)

I just had my hair colored on Saturday and it looks like it needs a touch up already
Did the past Two days and nights at hoca do this ?
(2)

There was a photo, I only recognized one old-looking friend.....who is that old lady?
She is my age.
(3)

Ever get a Christmas card from someone you have no zero idea who they are?

Got one today, one of those family style holiday photos. Even that didn't give me any clue how I know them.

Maybe it is one of those "six degrees of separation". I will need to climb back up the family tree to see if it exist there. Then there is the curiously on how did this family get my home address???
(5)

bookluvr, you might try doing a factory reset on your iPad before you give up on it. (This just brings it back to the original state you bought it in, without any apps you may have installed since.) Sometimes that's all a system needs, especially when you have software glitches, which is what it sounds like. A computer repair place can do this if you don't know how.

Make sure you back up all your important photos and documents before you do, as they'll be lost forever once it's reset. You can ask the repair place to back it up for you if you can't do it yourself.

(Edit:  I guess maybe an Apple store for Apple products?  Though beware of them telling you it's not possible, as they're mandate is to try to sell you a new one!  Anyway, a PC repair shop should be able to tackle a factory reset with no problem.)
(1)

I am so far behind in tech world that when I hear "iPad" I think it's a new line of Kotex :P
(7)

For those who uses the iPad, about 2 updates ago, my iPad Air now tells me that the charger is not compatible. Lately, I noticed that a few times, hours later, my iPad wasn’t charging at all. I have to reboot it every time now in order for it to accept the charger.

2nd, since 2 updates ago, my airplane mode no longer works. I can still access online even though the little ✈️ is showing on the top left corner. Like right now as I am typing this. I tried googling to see if others are having this same problem. It’s dangerous to carry the iPad in public if the ✈️ mode is not working. Easy to be hacked.

Do you maybe my iPad is about to crash and die permanently? This was gifted to me. I checked online and it’s so expensive to buy one.
(1)

I have a soft spot for computers! But I do think software makers have a tendency of assuming everyone working on a computer is a professional of some kind, who has regular training or something.  When I worked for the lotteries, we had all kinds of training every time there was a new piece of software, or an upgrade.  On my own....meh, I'm still running Microsoft Office 2003 and it's fine.  A friend of mine took a beginner's Corel drawing workshop recently and said it all went right over her head, because the guy giving the workshop has worked with it for 20 years and assumes everyone's up to speed.

Also....bumping this up over the troll-y stuff.

Hey can we really talk about anything on here? I've never been in this thread before!
(1)

"Retro soul singer" = singing tunes/ballads in the style of the original soul music, as opposed to the more modern R&B (and other pop styles) infused "soul".. which is more pop than soul. (Bit of a music nerd here, so I'm guessing that's what's meant by the description. 🤓)

And indeed, in this video of Leon Bridges I just pulled up, they are using some throwback imagery (black & white style, old style microphone, reel to reel music player) to complement the song.

I've heard the name before, Madge, but never bothered to check him out. Thanks for mentioning. I like it!!!
(1)

Madge, not me. I'm not familiar with him. By the way, what is a "retro soul singer?" I'm really out of touch these days!

Glad, sometimes computers just gang up on us, don't they? Or rather, software makers gang up on us. I wish they'd test their software first before dumping it on the public.
(1)

Anyone familiar with Leon bridges ? Young retro soul singer
(2)

Just thought I'd check in. CWillie, I agree with you about that Cohen song. My Mom was curious about it when Katie Lang sang it at the Olympics opening ceremony. I didn't have a printer at the time so I wrote out the words longhand for dear old Mom. When I got through writing them I actually thought to myself what a self- indulgent song. I know Leonard Cohen is considered a National treasure but I always considered him a national bore. No offense. If you run out of valium, put a Cohen song on. It'll do the trick.

Veronica, sorry for the long wait for responding to you. My haters know who they are so I won't name names. :P
(4)

FF, that reminds me of a time when I was temping inbetween jobs and working at a firm I'd worked at before, run by an old crab of an office manager.

As I recall, she wouldn't turn up the a/c in the summer and one afternoon we all ended up sweating. So did the computers apparently, as they began crashing.

We were actually sweating in the office.
(4)

bookluvr, any time my boss' computer wouldn't do what he wanted, I would say "it's the weather". Sure enough, it seems like rainy days and Mondays, the computers were in a land of their own :P
(3)

Book I just close my browser. I haven't had any problems staying logged in.
(1)

Thanks, Cwillie. I do have the zoom high - the better to see. Also, I tried doing the automatic delete history/cookies when I shut down. Except, when I logged into my bank account, it refused to accept my password, or the security questions, etc... I had to call the 1800 help - and it took forever! She was irritated with me because she gave me the steps to log in again. But my laptop refused to accept it, also... Uhm, did I ever tell you that computers and I do Not Get Along???? My computers/laptops (even at work) tends to get stuck, frozen, crash, etc... Even renewing the AntiNorton, I ran into problem! And the paid renewal of the Microsoft Office - I ran into problems.. When I was taking computer classes in high school, my programs would mess up the main frame with a continuous loop. Every time that happens, other students will say, "Is K here? Oh no!" It stays in a loop for hours.... I would love to do what you and Golden do. But, it's not for me. I don't want to keep calling the bank's help line... I'll try shrinking the thingy...
(2)

Book, sometimes the problem is that you have your zoom settings too high, if you decrease them more will fit on the screen.
I personally never bother with logging out, instead I have my browser set to delete cookies and history whenever I close it, therefore I'm automatically logged out.
(2)

Question. Is the only way to sign out of here is by hitting the 3 horizontal lines on the top left, wait for the box to pop open, find the gray scroll area, then scroll all the way to the bottom to hit 'log out'?

This laptop drives me crazy. Whether I use my fingers to swipe the screen or the laptop's scroll pad, sometimes that gray area doesn't appear. Tonight, I had to keep hitting those lines over 10 times!!! Does anyone know another way of signing out?
(1)

Cwillie if the event is so importent to them ask them to come and get you. My daughter drives 700 miles round trip to pick us up for Christmas
(3)

That's 109 miles each way for those of us who only do miles lol!
(3)

Urgh. I've just been checking the greyhound bus schedules, apparently they don't really go anywhere anymore. If I caught a train I would need to leave on Friday to get to the nearest station, then attempt to take a GO train south, with two transfers adding almost TWO HOURS to the commute. Plus then they would have to come and get me at the station in nowhere ontario. We north americans really are slaves to the car. SMH.

Send, bringing the baby to me would be just a little out of the way, 176 km each way according to google.
(2)

Cwillie,
Can you take a train, and they will pick you up?

Or, take a friend who can share the driving....friend needs a change of pace?

I understand the driving concerns. You can reassure yourself. Yes, you are not old.
Yes, you are wise to limit driving. Yes, you will be the favorite babysitter aunt.

Can they come get you....or leave baby with you? There has got to be a way! Many parents will go far, very far, for the right free babysitter!

Maybe your years spent hidden away caring for Mom has you reluctant to drive.  Understandable.
Start a driving rehab now, take classes on driving.  Get your eyes checked.  Spend time in line at the DMV, studying just who they are giving licenses to.  That will either scare you into never driving again, or boost your confidences, hey, I can do this!  Still, I can do this!

It is an excellent thing to be careful!  That too is a brave thing!
(1)

Book,
Music interpretation is in the ear of the listener.
As for the Hotel California: "You can check out....but you can never leave".

Yes, it is depressing. About drug addicts, in a flop house, (maybe in Venice, Hollywood, or Santa Monica). The heroin addicts would shoot up (to check out), but maybe more than a flop house, it was maybe a lock-up to detox, and you could never leave?

Some of us have borrowed the name, calling it HoCa. Because, in memory care, the danger is that they over-medicate to keep the patient calm, but you can never leave.

It would be disturbing, listening to it....when a person feels trapped...and cannot leave, imo. As many of us do at times. It is inherently evil, in a halloweeny sort of way.

Sorry, I have not kept up with this thread, one of my favorites!  I will read back.
(2)

This is sort of a whine, but it has nothing to do with caregiving except that my years spent hidden away caring for mom have probably been a contributing factor.
In the past oldest nephew has expressed his disappointment that his family is seldom there for him unless he begs, cajoles and makes a big production of it... I see it and I get it, I really do. Today he asked if I would come for the weekend to babysit so they can attend his staff party, and I really, really want to say yes, but... I am terrified to drive to his place, and there is no viable option for transit. I've struggled with my driving phobia for years, I CAN'T get on a multi lane highway, I just can't. And although I could plot a route taking secondary roads it is hard to navigate without someone else to help. Add in that I know I am getting slower to react, that I can't see as well as I used to, and that you never know what the weather will bring at this time of year. And did I mention that driving phobia, that comes and goes but usually comes at the worst moment? (I picture myself quivering on the side of the road too afraid to go forward or back) But I REALLY REALLY want to say yes. I used to be braver. Getting older sucks, and I'm not even old. Sigh.
(3)

CM sorry about the VAT did not think it would be charged on an import like that. It does not get charged when things come from the UK to the US. May be you cantle them you are knitting for charity and find out if materials for that are exempt or that you have a cottage industry and this device is essential for your business and the end user will be paying the VAT. maybe that would be exempt?

GA I do sort of have a background in Real Estate in that I did take the course and became a licensed Real estate sales person for a couple of years but never worked at it. I took the course because it was a very bad time in my life and felt the need to do something positive and possibly creat an income. However i have flipped a few houses and been a landlord for a number of years, which I don't recommend. between tenents who don't pay their rent and the City that screws you everytime they can it is not a fun occupation. I am currently selling off the houses and taking a big loss but it would cost me more to do the necessary repairs than i would get back in higher prices. I found that out the hard way when I did fix one up. The last one I sold stank of cat pee and was infested with fleas which unfortunately we carried home with us. I am covered in bites but they don't care for the taste of hubby. I am also physically unable to do the cosmetic work myself which adds to the expence.

CM try putting a For sale sign on the bike and see if that gets it moved. In the US if you put anything out by the curb with q free sign on it it can go within minutes. Needless to say I have done my share of curb shopping and know if you see something stop nad pick it up that instant.
(2)

Well I have missed a lot.
Gershon do you know who your haters are? Maybe a little sarcasm would put them in their place without alerting the admins.

CM I totally agree with you about the chickens. We have five acres and can only have domestic animals like dogs and cats. As an aside are you allowed caged birds? If you are build one of those pyramid shaped chicken cages on wheels that can be moved around the garden and the hens can do their fertilizing all over the place but not break your lease and keep the family safe from foxes etc. We once had a neighbor with free range hens , but unfortunately they free ranged under the fence and ate my flower bed. I caught them all and when he came home he found them in his back porch.

Pam so sorry about your cat being shot. The same happened to one of ours. He was missing for 2 days and came home with problems in his back legs. The vet found a BB pellet near his spine. He did make a full recovery and vets were not very expensive in the UK 40 years ago.
(2)

Book, Cohen was raised an orthodox jew, although according to my reading he explored buddhism at some point. And even though there are biblical allegories you really have to stretch to think it is in any way religious.
(1)

Cwillie, your comment about it not being a Christian worship. I went back and found a YouTube with the lyrics. People were saying that it should be sung at Thanksgiving. But reading the words was pre-Christian. I’m very rusty with my Bible stories. But it’s about Bethsheba (?) trying to lure King David and succeeded in breaking him... shooting people, etc... Definitely Not a Christian song if you read it.

CM, no! Every Breathe You Take! It’s 1:15am. I will need to google the YouTube lyrics on that after I go sleep and wake up at 6:30am.

You know what song upsets me every time I hear it? Hotel California. You can check in but can never check out... That is one very depressing, hopeless song. I can never listen to that song. Maybe I was projecting myself into that song...
(1)

You're doing better than I am CW - that kind of thing makes me froth at the mouth and throw things at the radio. Ugh! - worse, the BBC raised money for charity by doing a celeb medley of "Perfect Day" as though it were some kind of power of positive thinking feel good anthem - can't they read??? Have they gone MAD??? And Andy Williams blithely answering a reporter who'd asked what possessed him to cover "Every breath you take" that oh, he never worried about the lyrics. It's About A Psychotic Stalker, sweetheart. Another time you might want to have a care for your image.
(2)

I'm always confused when Cohen's Hallelujah is trotted out as a christian song, it uses religious imagery and words but there is no way it can be considered a song of worship, at least not christian worship. Just sayin'.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter