Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Bit my tongue when I read all the good advice from serious people about discounts.
That is because my tongue was in my cheek, and I was laughing, ouch. But thanks anyway.

Has anyone, really now, actually e n j o y e d receiving ALL the mail from AARP?
Or how about AAA (auto club, not AA.) OR, how about publisher's Clearinghouse?
OR, Neptune Society, really folks.

Many years ago, when I turned 55 (actually AARP hits you up for membership at age 50),
I disenrolled from AARP, unsubscribed from AAA, and now, not even a peep out of
Publisher's Clearinghouse because they cannot find me. It helps to never buy from catalogs like Carol Wrights gifts, etc.

Either I will finally be understood when I am joking around on the brat thread, or NO ONE will ever take me serious on the other threads. 

Uh oh.  Maybe they all think I am too too old now for a life insurance offer in the mail?
(4)

Gershun, Have done the sock in male underwear stunt with girlfriend’s when I was in college.
(2)

Madge, no but Hubs and I used to amuse ourselves there too. One day we were at Superstore, which is this huge grocery store here in Vancouver. I was on one side of the vegetable aisle and he was way on the other side. He threw a big red pepper over to me and it hit the wall behind me. It made this huge bang. I started laughing so hard I had to crouch cause I thought I was going to pee my pants. The thing is, Hubs was way on the other side of the store so all anyone saw was me crouching down and laughing hysterically all by myself. The thought of that made me laugh even harder.

Then once I stuck a sock into a male mannequin's underwear, then we hid around the corner and laughed at people's faces when they saw it. I guess you can picture what it looked like. An excited male mannequin shall we say.

Yes, I am quite immature..............yep, yep yep.
(6)

Some states have discount cards for state residents. They are usually available thru the Area Agency on Aging. In Ohio it’s called the Golden Buckeye card. In WV it’s the Mountaineer card. Good for discounts at restaurants, movie theaters, some sporting events, state parks, etc. Most Kroger stores and Kroger subsidiaries have a senior day at least once a month - 5% discounts on groceries. Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreens have senior discounts. Walgreens also has a discount for diabetics for diabetic supplies. Many state universities offer free or reduced tuition to audit a class for personal enrichment. University bookstores also have senior specials and discounts. Some have senior passes or reduced admission for cultural events, student performances and sporting events.
(2)

Get an AARP card too for discounts 50+

Huh, Gershun do you roll though the grocery store parking lot on the back of the cart too like a scooter?
(3)

There is a senior discount?
I am over 65 +
(2)

Gersh, forgive me for laughing at the scenario you described with you and hubby and the gliding socks. I remembered doing that as a child. As an adult, I don't trust it. I have balance problem.... I cracked up more with your 'last words' quoting FreqFlyer's. =)

I believe I'm going to have scars on those abrasions. I tend to scar easily in the area above the lips. I already have a long scar that crosses a bit over my upper left lip.... I switched from using antibiotic cream to now Petroleum jelly. Hopefully it will help it to heal and not scar too badly.

On another note, I went to the grocery store today. I now have lots of gray hair that washes out my pale face. It makes me look so much older and plainer. I actually wear bright costume jewelry necklace pendants to draw people's eyes away from my bland face to the pop of color. Of course, I could try to learn to wear make-up. Nah!!!

Anyway, at the cash register, the male cashier asked if I was 55... 'Huh?'... Are you 55?... 'Huh?'... This was done 5 times before he finally asked, "Are you age 55 so that you can get the senior discount." Ohhhhh... I replied back excitedly, "No! I can't wait until I reach 55 though! Then I get discounts at the movie theater, Ross, stores..." He laughed. (The last time this happened, I reacted seriously and the cashier was quite embarrassed for mistaking me to be age 55.)
(4)

Oh, and by the way Book. I hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly. If anyone comments just say "you should see the other guy"

Take good care of yourself!
(5)

Book, forgive for laughing at the scenario you described. LOL! For some reason your description reminded me of when my cats get that sudden spurt of energy and galivant around the place at full speed ending up knocking something over or getting stuck in a situation they can't get out of. Then they look up at me as if to say "I meant to do that so stop laughing, and I don't need your help either" LOL Then they march off with their noses in the air.

I've had my share of accidents due mostly to my own clumsiness. I remember one time Hubs and I realized that when we were wearing thick socks we could slide across the kitchen floor. So this became a thing. Then one day I said to Hubs, give me a little shove this time. So he shoved and I went careening across the floor and fell quite hard, actually knocked the wind out of me. Hubs was mortified, I just sat there and laughed really hard at how stupid we must have looked.
(5)

Ahh Book

Thank goodness you're ok
(2)

Book, that reminded me of the time when my Dad fell on the garage floor and broke his nose. Thank goodness the doctors at the hospital didn't pay much attention to what he was saying as Dad was using this situation to be funny. He would say "you should have seen the other guy, his memorial service is next week".

Heal quickly, Book.
(5)

Ouch Book, cement hurts a lot
(3)

Book, be careful and heal fast.
(5)

Oooo, ouch ouch ouch Book! I worry about falling now that I'm "older" (58, lol), it's so much harder to bounce back that it used to be.
(7)

Time to change my eye glasses. Can't see far with the glasses, and can't read near while wearing it. Plus, I've been misjudging distances. Today, it hit home.. okay crashed home to me that I really need to change it. I went flying off the stairs thinking I had reached the last step - when I didn't. When sliding along the cement floor like superman with my hands out trying to stop my glide and a crash landing in which I don't recall slamming my face against the cement. Ugh! I work tomorrow and I have a swollen lower face, cement abrasions above and below my mouth, aching teeth (thank you that it didn't fall out!!). Later, I found a scraped right knee that made itself known from throbbing pain. D*rn, I'm going to work tomorrow with a swollen scraped face!!! There goes my ego. .. Oh, what happened to you? .. Would you believe that I fell down the stairs? ...
(8)

It's not even hot yet and it's too hot to sleep comfortably

I read on yahoo that bud light is giving a free beer to everyone in California if Mexico advances to the next round in World Cup - they play Brazil on Monday

Since neither the US nor Norway even made it to the tournament, I'm routing for the Swedes but don't hold out much hope cause don't ya know
1,000 Swedes ran through the weeds
Chased by
One Norwegian 😱
(5)

My mom's habit was wandering. She became violent when she couldn't figure out how to leave the house. We used to spend hours searching for her at 8pm, 10pm, etc .. Dad finally double and triple locked all the doors (just those sliding locks.)
(3)

FreqFlyer, herding cats? What came to mind for me was 'like herding chickens.' .. Finally remembered in my childhood days of my dad and older brother clucking their tongues to call the chickens to come and eat. I finally tested it yesterday morning. At first, the hen and her chicks didn't know what it was. Since it was an unknown sound, they all started clucking loudly and running in circles haphazardly. I stood still and kept clucking my tongue. Finally, the hen/chicks figured out to follow the sound - as one. They all came over, found the food I threw on the back yard. I'll try it again until they catch on that my clucking sound means 'time to eat!'... One smart teenage chicken connected my opening the screen door means food. When I opened the door every morning, that black chicken comes running so fast, clucking hysterically, looking for the food. Pecking it so fast before that mother hen with her chicks chase it off. =)
(4)

There is one fellow who routinely sleeps through lunch (why they insist he comes to the dining room I'll never know) because he stays up til the small hours watching TV in the lounge. The poor guy had a stroke but is cognitively fine, he shares a room with 3 others so it is probably the only time he gets some alone time!
(4)

The night walkers - gets worst on a full moon - some take off their pjs and get dressed again

I got to hoca about midnight tonight to do a quick check on the Viking - she woke on and off and said she was sick but we managed to get through prayers, drink some apple juice and make plans for the 4th of July - wish we could actually run away and do them
(6)

When I was caring for mom, OMG, bedtime she was up and down and up again for a couple of hours! I cannot imagine trying to get even two with dementia carefully tucked away. It takes many I am sure to try to keep them tucked.
(7)

cwillie, I had noticed the same thing at my Mom's long-term-care. Right after dinner is all cleaned up, the Staff started to get the residents into their P.J.'s and ready for bed. Then I noticed when the Staff was halfway down the hall, out came a couple of residents roaming the halls in their PJ's. The Staff quickly had to place them back into their rooms.

The Staff hadn't gotten down to my Mom's room, so I just stayed with Mom in the common area. Lo and behold, some more residents were out and about. Then I heard one Nurse say "Lord, give me strength". My gosh, it was like herding cats.
(4)

It's been a very l o n g day today. I couldn't motivate myself to go help mom with her supper but I dropped in at about 6:15 hoping to see how well she ate and spend a few minutes with her. Wow, the place was like a ghost town, no visitors in the parking lot and only 4 or 5 residents in the lounge, mom and one of her 2 roommates were already tucked in bed for the night. Given that I usually am there until 5:50 or 6:00 after supper I'm amazed at their efficiency in putting everyone to bed. WTF.
(3)

WoW
Sweden def Mexico but Mexico still advances with Germany knocked out by Korea
Ole ole ole ole

I'll probably be the only one at the office doing the Viking clap today 
(3)

Mexico v Sweden in the morning
(2)

CM,
How are your feelings now, coming up on the full moon this week?

Hoping you have some great yarn to sort......
(2)

CM I agree with the others responses. I would send a prayer and kind thoughts out to the universe re: your ex F I L. Other than that your ex doesn't deserve to know about the dog or anything else going on in your present life.
(1)

cwillie, it's a robo call from Google Maps, or so they claim. I checked the Google Map scam website but that site couldn't give me any concrete info if these calls are really from Google trying to drum up development business or not.

Once I answer and a live person gets on line, if I hear dozens upon dozens of people talking in the background then I know it is what is called a "boiler room" an outbound call center.

Like, enough already !!
(0)

You get calls from google maps? I've never heard of people getting calls from google maps before, what do they want? Are you lost? And how did they get your number?

Today I got another email about collecting my "forgotten" tax refund.... too bad it isn't legit because by now the total must be well over $1000.
(3)

I swear if Google Maps calls me one more time, you will see me running screaming into the night.

Today at work when I got a call, I told the caller I get around 5 calls a day, and that it is to a point where we don't want to use anything related to Google, then hung up.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter