Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Sigh, groan. Breaking out in a sweat here.

Is there a shopping and/or hoarding gene identified yet, does anyone know? I know about the 'all women become like their mothers' chestnut, yes yes very funny but only half true. What I don't understand is how, given my long-running campaign against it, I'm still so drawn to mail order and have to use so many mental weapons to make my arm put all this crap in the recycling bin; and I wonder if I'm battling not only unsatisfactory self-discipline but in fact the whole of heredity, and therefore not giving myself enough support.

E.g.

Self: "Ooo. Those boots are really quite nice..."
Better Self: "Yes, they are. You know why you think so? Because they are remarkably similar to the boots that you already have, and which, by the way, you have yet to polish like you promised yourself you would when you bought them. At some expense. Not so many months ago."

Pause.

Better Self: "You do not need two pairs of very similar boots. Put the catalogue in the bin. Put it in the bin. No, not later. No, you don't want to see what else they're selling. Do it now. Now! Do it!"

Bloody hell. All I wanted was a quiet ten minutes with the Saturday newspaper and a coffee.
(5)

Oh dear God! - was that supposed to be a hint???!!!
(1)

Cwillie,
One hoca resident's son complained his father was left facing the wall
(1)

CWillie...............:(

D*mn nursing homes!!!
(2)

A couple of times when I've gone in to see mom they've had her sitting in her room facing the window. Today I commented to the aides "you do realize she's blind, don't you?" I immediately got a song and dance about how they had gotten in trouble for leaving some of "them" sitting between the beds where the curtain hangs, but if I didn't want her facing the window they would never do it again, all said with a lot of unnecessary drama. 🙄
Uhm, no, I just thought it was weird that she would be alone in her room facing a window with her back to the door, blindly looking out on nothing. I really, seriously did wonder if they knew/remembered she was blind.
(6)

Sadly, when I tried to watch the sketch YouTube told me it wasn't allowed in my region. SMH
(1)

Hey MsMadge! I took your suggestion and watched the SNL alien clip!!!
LMAO!!!
My frowning face muscles from the last couple of days sure felt good getting them stretched out!! 😂
(3)

Don't know how we'd check! - or what you're supposed to do with the information, come to that.

My grandmother lasted less than three months (by her own force of will, admittedly). My great aunt fifteen months or so. But my ex's grandfather lived happily in his little self-contained apartment inside a nursing home for donkey's years, and my aunt in a similar set-up for at least fifteen.

I suppose it must depend on what takes them in in the first place, whether it's their own sensible plan or a crisis. And a rapid turnover of elders who've been hanging on by their finger nails at home and carried in on a stretcher would make the mean survival time plummet.
(2)

The stat came from a website on assisted living / memory care facilities -
assistedlivingtoday

I've seen a lot of folks pass and decline quickly in the past 20 months at mom's memory care but some have been there a long time too
(1)

That just sounds wrong MsMadge. They used to quote stats like that for nursing homes, but even there the people are living longer.
(2)

I haven't added up, MsMadge, but that sounds broadly what you'd expect, don't you think? Where did the figures come from?
(2)

Does this statistic ring true?

The average lifespan of someone entering a memory care facility is 17 months and 50% of those entering memory care facilities die within a year
(1)

Awake late last nite, the news was on, how many times can the news replay the same devastating scenes. Find out what happened, then yes, TURN OFF THE NEWS.

The tragedy alone can make a person ill. Watching the news for over 20 minutes can make one very very ill.

Guard your heart and mind.
(4)

I'm turning off the news today, I can't stand the helplessness I feel after hearing about another crazy gunman 😔
(3)

Anyone needing a laugh, go on YouTube and watch the ryan gosling close encounters skit from SNL last night 👽👽👽
(5)

My hubs can eat every few hours ( and NO he is not fat..LOL) I call it like the Hobbits... first breakfast, second breakfast... you get it!
(3)

I eat at weird times too. My tube feeding runs overnight so I am not really hungry till mid afternoon.
(3)

Cwillie
I eat at weird times too
I had my Starbucks latte at 2 pm and just had a sandwich at 9:30 pm while sitting next to mom's bed listening to her snore
(3)

My social calender dot com.
Cwillie, make a dinner date with the new family at their house, visiting your new baby niece. Being with people is very important. Don't give up and isolate.
(1)

That sounds close to my non-schedule Cwillie!
Have a good night!
Distract yourself a bit with a good book, music, or t.v. before sleep.
(2)

I eat alone every day, and because I don't have a schedule I've begun eating at weird times, perhaps a second breakfast at 10:00, lunch - or is it early supper? - at 3:30, an evening snack at 8:00. When I actually sit at a table to eat it feels strange...

Time for a bedtime snack (yawn). Gnight all
(4)

Actually, wouldn't just about anyone like to rewrite the news?

How is dinner? Anyone eating alone and liking it? I like to eat with my dH, but he is not here.
(0)

Veronica,
Thought the Fake News could use a little help, just to make it more fantabulous!

What size spoon do you need, Cwillie?

Received this gift in the mail today.
Magnesium Oil (magnesium Chloride Brine) from the ancient Zechstein Seabed in the Netherlands.
Not actually an oil; it is a solution of magnesium chloride in pure water mined from deep within the earth at the site of the ancient Zechstein Seabed. Protected underground for millions of years, this magnesium is among the purest in the world, absorbs quickly, leaving no residue or unwanted scent.

Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful. And happy to try any natural pain relief.
But, does it sound weird to you?
(0)

Been listening to fake news again have you Send?
(2)

I heard that the oceans will soon be drained and dumped onto the land due to all these hurricanes. So don't worry, Cwillie, help is on the way.
(1)

Cwillie, I could mail you a larger spoon.

Can Mom hear well enough that she could appreciate a group of musicians coming in for a sing-a-long? A church group maybe? Or her favorite music played on a borrowed boom box? She could put her hand on the speaker, feel the vibrations, get the beat.

What I have learned a little about, is that we cannot fathom another person's quality of life.
(1)

You are!!!
(3)

Oh, the book idea. I was rummaging around in the craft cupboard to see what I could find and a came across a half dozen or so little binders that some thoughtful person had put together; school days, cats, fall colours etc. Instead of adding to them and offering them to the residents staff had shoved them in a cupboard never to be seen again... it kind of took the wind out of my sails. All my efforts to effect change there leave me feeling like I'm trying to bail out the ocean with a teaspoon.
(7)

Cwillie, She has you!
You be the party. Invite the staff, bring donuts, all sorts of goodies, jello for Mom.
Impromptu. Families are over-rated.
I get that your hearts desire is to have a family reunion. And I too have thought about it already for us. Like I said, families can be over-rated.
One balloon, cookies, ice cream in the dining room some early evening?

How did your book cart idea work out?

Are you sure you are not the real party planner, party girl, and hostess?
(2)

The picnic idea sounded wonderful. I'm so sorry cwillie. Hopefully you can do it someplace else soon.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter