Follow
Read More
Name that movie

money, money, money
always sunny
in a rich man's world
(1)

Send, thank-you for that. I hope people do find refuge here. Everyone is welcome!

Madge, best wishes for you and your Viking!

Good Night!
Sweet Dreams!
(3)

Send
yes my timing is perfect
the Viking is in rare form - wide wake still after midnight and chatting away
just told staff to go to bed but not in here

I need to make my escape but feel badly leaving her
she's struggling a bit with her throat - not sure what's up but it's clearly bothering her
(1)

MsMadge,
As always, your timing is everything!
(2)

Maybe we should leave Veronica a trail of popcorn leading to the new website.
When she returns after having some time following the loss of her husband.
I am conflicted not wanting to pressure her, but wanting her to know she is cared about and wished the very best. Glad that I am not alone in that thought.

Gershun, your General Topics thread has become a refuge during the present time of adjusting to the new website. So many threads have been started, I would like to come here and just enjoy our friends.
(6)

No, Madge. I haven't heard anything. Veronica if you are out there please let us know how you are. We love and miss you!
(2)

I'm off to see the Viking, hopefully I'll get there after the late night diaper change 💩
(2)

does anyone know how dear Veronica is doing?
(2)

Thanks for t h e laugh Gershun.! Another great work of poetry right here, on the new aging care forum!
(2)

Here's the sequel to my Barefoot in Pee poem. This one is entitled Barefoot in Poo. Enjoy!

So I stepped in some poo last night,
It came as quite a shock
My Mom's been gone for three years now
So why is there poo on my sock?

Oh yes, I have kitties,
And as you probably know
They'll poo just about anywhere
When they really have to go

So let this be fair warning
To those who have new cats
They'll leave you a surprise
There's no doubt about that

Watch where you are stepping,
Always look down
Or you might find yourself
Wearing something brown
(4)

Thank you Book :)

I found the image when I was searching for a way to explain to a group of fifteen year olds what their teacher looks like when they don't plan their essays properly. The teacher in question was Daughter 2, and she'd just had her whole weekend ruined grading their work.
(2)

Ditto, Cwillie! LOL. CM, that is one very expressive cat!
(3)

LOL
(3)

Changed my avatar. "Them's me sentiments."
(5)

On my mind was eliminated as it regularly confused newcomers who often posted their questions there, and if posted in that location, they never made it to the forum for response. But, if our regulars are sad to see it go, we'll add "on my mind" to the list of considerations to bring back. Thanks for the feedback.
(4)

When I first came on here on AC, I was, huh? It was out of sequence. The Newest answer was first. I was puzzled on the comment until I scrolled down several posts before finding the why of it. Now, I have to go through each thread and change: "SHOW - OLDEST FIRST" I'm used to this format after spending over 5 years here.

By the way, once you post, the system automatically goes back to: "SHOW - NEWEST FIRST." So, you have to re-do it again.... and again... and again.

I even tried going to my avatar to check if I can permanently leave these threads as "Show - Oldest First" instead having to keep adjusting it every single time I post.
(1)

I don't understand why some threads open to newest first and others oldest first, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Logically long threads like this one should open at the last comment by default, the original comments were years ago.😕
(3)

CM, they deleted ON MY MIND! I didn't realize this until you mentioned it. ohhh... Now I won't get updates from you or others. I really love to read these nice tidbits. Like Glad's kitty's shenanigans... When Veronica's hubby passed away, she just posted it ON MY MIND, and that alerted me to her current situation. Now, it's gone... =(
(6)

Snort fume seethe

In particular I can't find the 'on my mind' option. GUESS WHAT'S ON MY MIND, AC! JUST SEE IF YOU CAN GUESS!!!

Going outside to kick something all round the garden, haven't decided what yet.
(5)

I've been trying to go back to the old one for 20 Min. Thanks Book. I guess I will " officially " stop trying now. Boo Hoo. Dang Progress!
(2)

Yes we are and I don't like it! Waaaaaaaahhhhh..!
(5)

We are now officially on the updated website.
(2)

Think I'll escape reality this weekend and go see Mama Mia
(5)

Gurshun...I agree though in looking back I have to say that the staff at the rehab my honey was in overall really cared about the people they were taking care of. Yes there are always one or two staff members that don't fit in that category, but in looking back my honey got good care while he was there. I saw a different scenario when my Dad was in his first NH. It was supposed to be a luxury NH and the nursing care there was horrible. When we moved him to a NH close to us his care improved 100% (with me dropping in for a visit at all hours of the day and night).

I did too Gershun. I always wanted to help people. But in working in an office I saw the politics and BS and decided to go a different direction, though I did end up in an office after all for 27 years. Don't give up your dream. There are so many ways that you can make a difference in people's lives.

I agree dignity and respect are so important whether in death or in life. I have had a code that I have lived by as far back as I can remember. Treat people the way I would want to be treated. I have a poem that I wrote a long time ago called "The Forgotten" and it is about senior citizens. It was written from the heart though my honey said it was not very good...but I feel that seniors are the forgotten people where they should be treasured for their wisdom and knowledge. When seniors get to the stage that a lot of the wisdom and knowledge has been forgotten, they still should be treated with respect and dignity. I am not saying that because I am a senior myself but because it is so true. Sorry getting philosophical.
(3)

It's unfortunate that most care facilities are poorly staffed and the staff they do have are overworked, underpaid and don't have enough incentive to care about the dignity or lack thereof of their elderly residents. While I would love to believe that most people who take on the job of working as nurses/care aides are doing it out of some unselfish, charitable desire to help seniors in their declining years I have to believe realistically speaking that given the lack of pay and unfavorable conditions at most care facilities that is probably just a dream on my part.

I actually used to think that I would love to work in an environment where I could possibly make a difference in people's lives but with all the bureaucratic B S that is involved, sadly, making a difference is probably just a pipe dream. Having said that, I still think that should still be the goal. We can only pray that one day not only death with dignity but also living with dignity will be the norm for everybody when they get to that time in their lives.
(3)

They should just have communal bathrooms if that is a common practice. OMG how can you pretend that you respect your residents as individuals and then be so cavalier about their right to privacy? There is enough indignity in having to share a room with total strangers, they shouldn't have to put up with having their space invaded by all and sundry. Not to mention there was absolutely no thought that I, a visitor, should not need to see, hear or smell that.
(4)

Cwillie
Of course it's BS 😂

I on more than one occasion have had to stop staff including men from coming into
Mom's room while she's being changed
And I mean literally hold my hand up and stand in their way

I've also had staff bring other residents in to the loo 🚽 while I'm in the room
I asked why and the response was we can't take her to a man's room

When I pointed out they passed two other female rooms I got no response, and didn't appreciate what was left behind afterwards
(3)

I've been working on my kitchen faucet and it is not going well so I may be in a bit of a bad mood, BUT...
I went to the NH to pick up my allen key set (I keep it there to adjust the wheelchair but that is another story) and was sitting with mom in her room when a couple of staff breezed by in the hall, one filling the other in about getting everyone toileted. It seems several men in one room needed the facilities at once so they were taking them to other rooms - I understand that and am OK with it. The next part is what has me fuming - it seems they ALWAYS toilet Mrs so and so at the same time as mom's roommate, and in OUR ROOM. And then they walked in and proceeded to do so without an excuse me or by your leave. HELLO, we're sitting RIGHT HERE. They've obviously been working in an institution way too long if they think that is OK and they seemed oblivious to why I packed up and asked them to move so we could leave.
There's a lot of talk at the top about how this is the resident's home and about respect and dignity but if this is SOP it's clearly just BS.
(6)

I received my new credit card. I called the 1-800 number on the sticker attached to the back of the credit card to activate it.  The 1-800 machine instructed me to punch in the last 4 digits of the card number. I pressed the 4 numbers.

And the machine responded: "You have pressed the last 4 numbers of the 1-800 number. Please press the last 4 numbers of your credit card."

I stared at the 1-800 number on the sticker. I just cracked up laughing. 1st...how stupid of me to punch in the numbers of the 1-800....2nd - I'm not the only one who did it in order for the recording to respond back with that message!
(11)

I drove to lunch - two others who aren't in their 30s either asked to drive back with me to the office

Boy, Friday the 13th - 3 residents fell at hoca tonight within minutes of each other - one no one was paying any attention to and she was pushing a chair around, the second seems to be in a stupor when he's not agitated and the third was pushed by another resident

I took the Viking outside and we sat quietly in the garden
(7)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter