Follow
Read More
LOL I was actually going to suggest putting a few toad houses in your garden!
How fine is the mesh in your fence? If there is food to be found the toads will find a way in on their own I think, but adding a couple and providing a shelter for them couldn't hurt, but if they don't like it there they won't hang around.
(1)

No No No, don't put the pine mulch in your veggie garden!!!
1 slug utopia, lots of nooks and crannies to hide in,you would think holding in moisture would be a good thing but not if you have lots of slugs.
2 fresh wood chips are not going to be good for your plants, trust me I know
3 know your soil PH before you add in a lot of acidic pine needles and bark
(1)

Tacy, I just cringe when I learn about Consumers Power doing something like cutting down beautiful pines. It's an example in part of having planted trees in areas that are too close to power lines, or the reverse - power lines too close to beautiful trees. But, Consumers...well, 'nuff said about them. Edison is even worse with its tree cutting contractor which I hope has gone out of business but probably is still lurking waiting for trees to slash up.

At any rate, I think the mulch might work if the chunks are sharp enough. If they're weathered, they might have lost that sharpness though.

You might also be aware that gardeners don't agree on whether or not mulch depletes soil of nitrogen. One year I had some trees cut down around spring (I think) and gradually spread the mulch over the garden, until I was forced to spread it all quickly because code enforcement decided it was "blight."

Leaves of daylilies, irises, other perennials and I believe (if I recall correctly) even some weeds, turned yellow, a sign of nitrogen depletion. So I began raking all the mulch off again. I don't even recall what I did with it - maybe piled it on top of some weeds.

You could try some of the mulch on top of the massive piles (wow, I'm envious of all your space!) as it would have been exposed and be less likely to deplete nitrogen, but I'd watch the surrounding plants carefully.

The gardeners I know generally use beer to get rid of slugs, but as I recall I think there were some other methods that involved use of sharp objects as well. Let me search my gardening forum and see what I can find.
(0)

Tacy, don't use landscape fabric. Over the years it deteriorates and has to be picked up and disposed of manually. Imagine how plastic would look after being beaten about by the wind. That's what landscape fabric can deteriorate to.

Snails have soft underbellies so anything that scratches or causes them discomfort can be a deterrent. But I've used landscape stone, which is easier to work with than gravel, and it gets mixed in with the soil if you turn it to plant, or you have to pull all the gravel/stone away to turn the soil. And weeds definitely grow through it.

After gardening for about 60 years, I don't use anything but biodegradable substances - leaves, dead plants, etc. Nothing artificial except the bricks and patio stones goes into my garden.
(1)

This is definitely one of the cases for using Miller High Life or Coors Light, or even 3.2 beer instead of the good stuff! LOL!
(0)

I would rather sit in the yard, enjoy looking at thengarden while enjoying my beer. I won't be aharing mine with the alugs!
(0)

Tacy if you put the beer in a bowl you may find me in your garden.... hee hee
(3)

Tacy, where are you seeing the slugs? I have found that they really weren't much of a problem in the vegetable garden (except on leafy greens), probably because tilling the soil exposes them to predators. As Glad says, perennials like strawberries or ornamental flower borders (they can really destroy hostas) are where they did the most damage for me.
(0)

Slugs, ugh, worse than snails because they are gross! I used to collect the babies to feed to our pet turtles lol!
Keep good air circulation around your plans. Thin your plants like lettuces so that they are not a dense patch but rather individual plants. Avoid anything that gives them a place to hide, any kind of mulch will just make them happy.
While they wouldn't like the stones I think they would be able to hide under the fabric.
They will be most active early in the morning and on drizzly days, so if you want to go organic you can pick them off and drop them into a bucket of soapy salty water.
People put out beer traps for them to drown in, but I would rather drink the beer. I have heard of surrounding plants with sharp sand will discourage them.
I have found the only thing that really works is commercial slug bait, it is safe for pets and wildlife so no worried there.
(0)

Tacy, are the slimey things slugs? Do you have strawberries? They love those. But they like beer so much that they will drown themselves in it. Put a small plate of beer in the garden to drown the slugs. I have never tried it, as I never had slugs. I have heard it is quite effective in attracting the slugs then drowning them.
(0)

This cactus avatar bloomed today in my garden. Like I said, I didn't plant it!
A neighbor gave the plant to me when they moved. Six blooms!
My garden is blessed!
(2)

the farm foreman told me today that he plants tomato plants a little differently than im used to . said he strips off the lower sprouts then buries the plant in a horizontal manner with only some bushy top sticking above ground . he says the stripped off sprouts grow into major tap roots and supply water to the plants like a firehose .
he sez a lot if s*it that aint so but this tidbit makes sense and i plan to try it .
(0)

Thank you garden Artist! You know those garden stones with messages, this was at the supermarket and Dh took a photo, enhanced the color, and voila! Saved $9.99.
A neighbor makes huge round paver stones by hand, and those appear throughout his yard. I like the beach motifs, the little sailboats or seashells.
Occasionally, a paver is presented as a gift and ends up in someone else's yard

We are going to have to find a safe landscaping solution so seniors won't fall in our driveway, especially me. Maybe crushed rock, surrounding a paver.
(0)

aside from the fruit trees i dont want to grow anything this year - very busy work season - but - canned tomatoes beat the h3ll out of eating snowballs next winter .
and theyre so beautiful canned up .
the more i provide for myself the less im at the mercy of butt-hole customers . they count on you being desperate . in 18 yrs , i could write a book about human phsycology probably . itd be a pretty crappy book tho . no capitalization lots of misspelling and profanity .
i doubt if ID even buy a copy .
(2)

P.S. The grass is dead and fried already, from just two weeks ago a bright green.
It was spring weeds.
(0)

Just visited my garden and there are things blooming out there in the 80° heat.
If I was my neighbor, I might get jealous of the yard next door, where the husband has hand-trimmed the edging of dripping with blooms ice plant, the bougainvillea has started to grow; the other plants discarded from neighbors have been renewed and have tall desert blooms in a beautiful magenta color; down the driveway is one rose bush blooming several pink roses; across the front a rosemary bush with little blue flowers transitions from a country garden appearance with Vinca, as one passes by the ornamental apple tree to the opposite side garden full of yellow blooms of succulents and a few cactus in pots complimenting that neighbor's choice of cactus-only landscaping. This is gardening success-yard of the month award goes to, ME. lol.
(2)

Send, I love your new avatar - very pretty. And, yes, my gardening therapy is working, especially when I can just stroll along and see new flowers opening and trees budding out as the weather warms up. It's such a reminder of renewal, of rejuvenation, and a reminder to me to keep that in mind all the time.
(1)

My rhubarb usually doesn't bolt until around July, assuming we don't have heat waves in June. The tallest stalk is about 6" now; when it gets to be about 14" high I'll start harvesting it. You have to watch it at that point and check the stalks by feel so you can harvest it before it turns woody. I love those massive leaves - they remind me of the colocasia and alocasia plants.

Stacey, I'm wondering if your rhubarb is edible or ornamental. It seems to be pretty big for an edible rhubarb, unless you're in the deep south and it never died back overwinter. In SE Michigan, it always dies back completely over winter.

An episode of Victory Garden featured some of the ornamental rhubarbs; it was the first I knew that there were ornamental varieties.

If you google ornamental rhubarb, then google Victoria rhubarb, you'll see some of the differences between the ornamental and the edible (we've always grown the Victoria edible variety).

And totally off topic, but large leaves and ornamentals just brought to mind those beautiful and massive Victorian water lilies, some about 6' in diameter. I find it hard to believe they're strong enough to support people, but photos show children sitting and standing on them.

CWillie, I like the idea of intermingling veggies with flowers and have done it for years. I haven't mastered the timing yet, but ideally the plants would produce fruit and mature as the flowers are also starting to bloom, and would have died back when the flowers begin to become very full. That's "ideally."
(0)

Is your gardening therapy working for you?
(0)

Pull the flowers out. And don't cut off the rhubarb stalks when you harvest, tug on them and they will separate from the plant.
Stacey, does your rhubarb plant not die back in the winter there?? Old shoots will get kind of tough, look for the new growth. My rhubarb is just peaking up from the ground a few inches... I think the eastern exposure has set it back a little.
Mmmmm, rhubarb sauce, even better rhubarb pie!!
(1)

Wow! I just noticed that my rhubarb that I planted last year is huge! And has a great big flower plume growing out the top, weird! Now, does anybody know what I am supposed to do with this. Cut it back, let it grow? And can I eat the old rhubarb stalks from last year, as I think they are from last year? I only just noticed that! I'll need to do some research on this. I do know that when I planted them, it said that it probably wouldn't yeild appreciative stalks for the first year, but its going to be a monster at this rate! Thanks all, and happy gardening!
(0)

I think they still make jiffy pots, don't they??

I broke down and planted some lettuces, chard and flower seeds, even though I still don't have anywhere to transplant the veggies to. Last year I put my bell peppers amongst the flowers, but they were pretty crowded. Hmmm, still planning and dreaming and planning and dreaming... lol
(1)

Um, little baby cukes - that's such a milestone when the cukes, squash and pumpkins set fruit. Makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Yours will have a good start and advance on setting fruit.

Tomatoes might need more sun exposure if they're spindly and leggy.
(1)

Yes Garden that is what they are like! I transplanted some outside yesterday in pots.. so we;ll see how it goes. no, my mini greenhouse just has spots for about 70 pellets, and a plastic "roof".. but I am haveing fun with it! The cukes really look sturdy and healthy, the cilantro and tomatoes are sill in the spindly stage..LOL
(2)

Pam, some years ago "Jiffy 7's" were used as seed starters; as I recall, they were something like what you describe. When watered they would expand. I think they were made of peat. There are also the peat pots. Sounds like you hit on a good plan - I especially like the idea of a mini greenhouse. Does it have shelves?

DD, the squirrels in my area must think they're master gardeners. They feel free to move bulbs around after I plant them. And they're always inspecting the garden for treats that they probably think are just for them.

Hyacinth bulbs are poisonous to dogs; perhaps they're poisonous to squirrels as well and that's why yours leave them alone.

I took a stroll through the early spring garden this afternoon and was happy to see so much had grown just in the last few days. Daffodils are back in bloom after the cold spell, along with lilac and white violets, vinca minor and some pretty little ground cover that is easy to remove with a scuffle hoe and generally ends up in compost.

Rhubarb, peonies, trilliums are up. Haven't made rhubarb bread in years; maybe this year I'll get motivated.

The Siberian Squills are beginning to set seed; this warm weather is just too much for them. Every year I commit to harvesting their seeds so I can plant more of them, as I really love their "seas of blue" growth habits. And every year spring segues into summer so quickly that the seeds don't get harvested.
(0)

Planted hyacinths and tulips. Squirrels ate tulip bulbs many years ago and it was a great surpise and disappontment. Notice they dont mess with the hyacinths so hopefullt next year all will bloom nice and pretty. Felt good digging in the dirt and planting and looking at my flowers.
(0)

i saw a dairy farmer on the news a couple of years ago . he and his family press seedling planters out of cow crap . they said they never thought it possible that one could make more money from cow crap than dairy products .
man thats capitalism ..
(0)

My seeds were started in a mini greenhouse, bout it for Dad before he passed. It uses little pellets of dirt, and then you just transplant outside when they get big enough. I'll keep them in the house for a bit longer! Yep, our weather is crazy,,, cold, hot, cold...
(0)

my tomato seeds are sprouting at 100 % . im already thinning the pots to single plants each . im going to have a hard year of stonework and forest clearing but im willing to push a little harder to fill a pantry with canned tomatoes .
(1)

Pam, did you start your seeds inside or did your sow them directly outdoors?

I see you're in a cold weather state as some of the rest of us here.

I'd love to have a lemon tree - imagine how nice it would be to pick fresh lemons! Do you have a space to overwinter it when that time comes?
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter