Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I am going to check on the rain barrel idea for garden watering. Don't know if I need city approval.

GA, yes, it just seemed to using the leaf blower was all that was needed without watching everything down too.
(1)

Ashley, thanks for that information, especially on using food grade barrels as rain barrels. That's the primary reason I haven't set up a catchment system - because so much today is from China, and I certainly don't want water going on my garden if it's been sitting in a barrel made in China

I've seen the smaller white tubs at local food stores; they're generally used to store frosting. I might get some of those.

But there's still no guarantee that the barrels don't have BPA as many plastics do. That's another concern.

Sharyn, there's a lot of wasted water here too. Many Americans just don't understand (or perhaps won't try to understand) the fact that some natural resources are truly finite.

Leaf blowers are another use of finite resources; I do understand the use on commercial facilities, but leaf raking for homeowners is a good way to just be outside and get some fresh air. It might be monotonous but it can actually be calming and soothing.

This is a good topic - what do others use to conserve water and/or fuel? Has anyone created a rain garden to catch rainwater in a specific trough type area? I've seen some very attractive rain gardens.

And on that subject, one of the medical facilities attached to the local hospital has 2 sets of Japanese rain chimes flanking the entrance. I love going there in the rain! (If you want to see some beautiful rain chains, Google "Japanese rain chains" and check out the third hit).

I had inquired on a DIY forum some years ago about adding rain chains to my house but was set back in my plans when someone raised the issue that they're generally copper and copper is a target for thieves. Given that the thieves in Detroit and some suburbs strip copper plumbing from houses, I decided I'd have to find another alternative for the chains.
(1)

We use rainwater catchment barrels for watering the garden ... 6 on the garage and one by the deck by the house ... though I think that's illegal in some parts of the US which is crazy. Food grade 55gal drums $10 apiece from a local cookie factory.
(0)

GA, not that I am aware of regarding xeriscaping. What I do see is a lot of water waste with businesses/shopping centers watering the landscaping and spraying their front end entrances to the stores. When my mom was in the hospital a couple weeks ago, they also sprayed off the main entrance to the hospital after using a leaf blower.
(1)

Sharyn, has your community made any efforts to encourage xeriscaping, or lawn removal and replacement with ground cover or xeriscape plants?

In Michigan, we can see the effects of the drought in the higher prices of CA produce.

It's to everyone's benefit to conserve water, and that includes the municipalities and golf courses that still water lawns (especially here in Michigan), and people who perform the weekly car washing ritual.

It's also unfortunate that the laws governing use of greywater aren't more accommodating.
(1)

Our temps here in my part of Cali are rather warm for this time of year, 85. I refer to my part of Cali as Norcal simply because the majority of people only know California as being North and South. I actually live in the Central part of Cali. LOL!!! Yes there is a central and it is not just Big Sur, Carmel and Monterey and other coastal areas. Believe it or not, Sacramento is Central not Northern.

I bring this up because I have been very concerned about news reports on California and the drought. Yes, the dams above the Sacramento area such as Shasta are very full from the snow melt and rain, however, in Central Cali, the dams are not even half full, not to be a debbie downer, the drought is far from over. New Melones Dam, at last report was only at 17% capacity, this dam is in Central Cali where much agriculture is produced.

My city has underground wells to provide water. We are also supplied with water from New Melones. City growth, farming and supplying water to habitats in the delta are all vital needs.

My point is California is still in a drought situation. Conservation of our water is a major concern for everyone in the state. Conserve water wisely.
(3)

this place is meant to be low maintenance . it wont have flower areas , just the two raised gardens which will eventually be adjusted into just one large one . i only have to mow once a year . raise weeds , drop em in place with a walk behind bush hog . the downed weeds hold moisture in the orchard . orchards like that ..
(2)

Is there any way that you can turn some of the scrap into hardscape? There are some really creative ways to integrate masonry and what some people might consider junk. Even bowling balls are used in yard art decorations.
(0)

this whole hilltop is built with block scrap . you could barely fit a car beside the house when i bought the place , now you could turn a triaxle around up here . ive built two homes without any guff from the county planners . id like to keep it that way .
(1)

Given his stated enjoyment of alcoholic beverages, I think he should plant hops and make his own beer. Don't even need a copper kettle for that...at least I don't think so.

Actually, if he's got masonry and it's in any form like rocks or chunks, it would make great garden decorations.
(1)

I think Cap should get out there in his spare time and turn that pile of rubble into a garden feature, something along the line of a scree garden. lol
(3)

If you want immediate coverage for summer and fall:

Plant morning glories. They'll bloom in 5 weeks from planting time, and reach 10 - 15 feet by fall.

Grape vines are also good spreads for summer, but they will grow wildly and prolifically. Polygonum aubertii is a beautiful fast growing vine but invasive in some states. It will also cover the pile by the end of summer.

You can get away with cheap, quick summer coverage by planting vining squash or watermelon.

For late fall and winter coverage:

You can plant evergreen bushes around the pile, picking up unsold evergreens at big box stores or garden centers. You can build a fence (including a cheap one from branches or scrap material) and interplant evergreens that are fairly quick growers.

But evergreens generally aren't fast growers, so you may still need something inbetween shrubs for the spring, summer and fall periods. That's when the fast growers like morning glories come in, and they'll lend beautiful color to the pile as well.

There are other vines such as clematis, corkscrew vine, Dutchman's pipe vine if you want to get fancy, or, and this might appeal to you more: hops. You can harvest the hops to make your own beer. And the hops vines are lovely and attractive.
(2)

i probably shouldnt have asked because dirt cheap was going to win out anyway . i bought 15 ea 10 - 15 " tall plants from ebay for 8 bucks shipping included . VINCA MINOR, PERIWINKLE EVERGREEN GROUND COVER .
supposed to be green year round and tolerant of shady conditions .
gotta admit , thats pretty dirt cheap ..
i might even try some on a hillside that i have no intention of ever mowing ..
(2)

Sharyn, good suggestion! I especially like the creeping fig, small, clinging to each surface, it hides less undergrowth to hide large rats.
(1)

Cap, ivy works too. Good luck with this!!
(2)

i want the stuff covered , no plans to salvage any of it . ill check out the spreading juniper . i like the sound of " cheap " .
thanks
(1)

Thanks to Garden Artist and the people on this thread, I know what a wattle fence is now! If I ever need one.
(0)

Do you want something to cover it or to shield it? There would be different choices.
(0)

Is this stuff just landfill, do you ever have plans to re use some of it??
Spreading junipers are tough as nails and evergreen, there are some that hug the ground and others that are taller. Usually pretty cheap too.
(0)

i have a question for you experiences gardeners . what kind of creeping ground cover can i plant to hide my masonry scrap over the hillside operation ? its legal fill but in the winter when the trees are barren it looks like a trash dump from the distance of the road . thanks in advance ..
(0)

Pleasant Valley Iris Farm has a great selection of irises in all different colors, breaded and rebloomers.
(0)

Your lilies sound beaitful Glad!!!
(2)

The homes nearby are selling fast, in one day! Even homes without any landscaping. Housing shortage.
(0)

Nope, my house is on the market still. Though people are looking at it. Houses are moving, just not mine yet.
(2)

Hoping all went well with your old house, Glad. Did you sell it, or rent it out in that short amount of time before you moved on to a new life?
Hope things are better for you now.
(0)

At my house that I moved from I had some beautiful very, very deep purple irises. So deep purple they look almost black. So gorgeous! I had many different varieties of lilies, lots of stella de oros, and then others that I order through different people from an online iris society website. I was amazed at how many different varieties there are! And I never missed an iris show. Must see if there is one around here somewhere. Getting life back one half step at a time.
(2)

Awesome Tacy!!!! You find a solution for the slugs. They and snails and earwigs are big issues here in my area. Usually come out at night during cool temps .

I ordered more irises today from Brecks. Spring hills Nursery was already sold out...can you believe that and it is only April. I guess if I want to get the purple color I want, I will have to order a year or more in advance. Who knew so many want purple irises.
(2)

Horray, tacy!
(0)

What I thought was daffodils that weren't blooming I now think may be some sort of lily. Shall be interesting.
(2)

i got one garden planted in tomatoes yesterday and bottled my cantaloupe wine today . the wine is pretty palatable now . in 3 - 4 months it'll be really good .
i decided the 32 gallon plastic wine barrel is as much of a kitchen / dining room / food preparation item as any other in the house so i washed it , inverted it and left it in the nook where it operates . it dont take a genius to figure out what its purpose is .
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter