Follow
Read More
I don't have the patience to baby roses, but if I do decide to plant any it will be from the Canadian explorer series, tough as nails. I did take a cutting from a red climber of unknown name that has managed to survive the winter and is putting out new leaves, so I will have to find some kind of a trellis for it.
My woodland garden will have to rely heavily on illusion as I have a very small lot, but two walnuts serve as the foundation and I have added a serviceberry directly below and a redbud just beyond the drip line. The smaller plants will be a mix of native and juglone tolerant non native plants, so far mainly hosta, daylily, ferns and bleeding heart with several small spring bulbs.
(2)

GA, I have three Austin roses - white, pale pink and a peachy color. They have so many petals, they resemble peonies. Their fragrance is amazing - strong , pure old rose scent.

I've grown sweet potatoes before from slips. I have the best results putting them in a large pot - I think I'm better able to give them adequate water that way. Great looking plant and I had enough potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner.

The wind whalloped a few veg plants - a tomato, some peppers. I usually have to replace a few each spring due to wind damage. Grapes and apples look good. Need to get the rest of the plants in this weekend.
(2)

LINDA, do you grow David Austin roses as well? They're so beautiful, so lovely.... whenever I see them I want to buy most of them! I could easily spend my entire SS allotment on roses!

Years ago Meadowbrook Hall used to have annual garden shows. If I recall correctly, it was there (or it could actually have been at Cranbrook) that the traditional large rose garden was an attraction. It was quite an experience to wander through a large garden filled entirely with roses, most of them fragrant.

On that subject, I think I'll give up food for a month and use the money to buy David Austin roses!

Thanks for the reminder of using toothpicks to hold the sweet potato sections above water - I remember that I usually end up changing the water regularly once the roots begin growing, and they do grow into quite a mass.

Have you ever seen the ornamental ones for sale other than in gardening stores? They're much more expensive than the regular edible sweet potatoes. I notice that more and more cities are filling the large container planters with the ornamentals, complimented by masses of calibrachoa, petunias, or other flowering plants.

CWILLIE, I like the idea of extending a woodland garden. Keep us posted on what you decide to plant there. I'm also curious how long it will take for the cardboard to break down under the mulch.

Helpful as it can be, I'd be leery of trying it in my area b/c one of the neighborhood snoopers would probably report me to code enforcement and I'd be cited for blight.

I used to have a woodland garden that I really liked - it was filled with ostrich ferns, trilliums my mother grew from seeds, hostas, wax begonias and a few daffodils. It was so cool appearing, so soothing. I edged it with rocks that I uncovered while digging it up before planting.

This year I plant to create little woodland pockets, planted with caladium, ferns, perhaps sweet peas and petunias and begonias.

SEND, a few days ago I watched a BlueJay making repeated trips to what appeared to be a pocket in the large (and annoying) cottonwood in the abandoned yard next door. I suspect there might be some little BlueJays, so I'll just keep a watchful eye. Hopefully the neighborhood cats won't discover any little baby Jays.
(2)

Cwillie- I am so happy to hear the birds outside-almost 24 hours a day it seems they don't sleep at 3 a.m. They are drawing me out the door to take a look. I was watching one just twirt and tweet, making a fuss, came down from the wire to the block wall and did a dance, twirted some more, pecked at the top of the wall as if I should have put some seeds out there! Maybe I will, maybe I will be sorry too.
(2)

I'd rather have garden gnomes than trolls... ;)
Seriously though, I haven't noticed any more trolls than usual, but then I try to stay away from posts that start to go around in circles.

Today there was a wren twittering in the area and I heard swallows in the distance, the summer birds have arrived! I spent some time today outlining an extension to my natural woodland garden area, my philosophy is that if a space is a p.i.t.a. to mow it becomes a garden. If I can get some heavy cardboard I will cover it and apply wood chips to avoid having to dig it up. I'm still mulling over what to plant there, I'd like to put in another serviceberry tree if I can find a good deal, if not perhaps I will try to root a cutting from the one I planted last year.
(1)

David Austins are wonderful - such strong, rose fragrance. I've had good luck with sweet potato slips - I cut out a chunk with an eye, put it in water (use toothpicks to submerge the bottom and eye), and pot up after it develops roots. I have a large plant on the counter, waiting for the warmer weather so I can plant it outside. Found a couple tomatillo plants at the store - a client was telling me about his mom's new small garden - she has AD - how she likes to tend to the plants. Good for the soul.
(2)

I had a lot of beautiful roses, including some of the David Austin hybrids, and eventually lost all of them either to winter weather or contractors driving up in the narrow driveway and driving right over my little pocket garden. I still have one climber - that's all that's left.

You're not joking about the trolls - posting has become like stepping in mud - you never know when you'll sink into a trap.
(1)

GA, Was joking about the potato salad.
You are talking about uncooked potatoes, I am sure. Thank you for your serious answer. As for the rose slips-they were planted right into the ground.

I had good success with a tiny rose bush gifted from a market supply on a long past Mother's Day. My son gave it to me and I planted it outside. It grew and grew, lasted over several years! Then, a cold winter killed everything in the garden.

Good thing we have our gardens as a retreat since so many new posters are trolls.
(0)

Send, you can create your own potato starts by cutting/dividing them so that each has some of the tightly packed roots. I don't know how well they'll grow or taste though given CA's drought, which can affect the taste of tubers.

I don't recall if you tried to root your roses directly in the ground or in water first. If I recall correctly, there's a method to which cuttings you take based on which side of a rose branch node they're cut from. I'd have to do some research though as it's been awhile since I've taken rose cuttings.

If transplanting and cuttings are a problem, have you tried putting the cuttings in a separate pot, in potting (not ground) soil, keeping them in the shade until they root?

There are natural rooting hormones that can help - as I recall the branch of a willow tree will exude those kinds of hormones if placed in a glass of water with the cutting. I can't find the information in my gardening files right now though.
(1)

Good morning Send!!! LOL!! I have a big appetite!!
(1)

If you plant the left over potatoes, would they sprout and grow?

My rose slips failed to take hold.

The other day, my husband trimmed a hedge. He planted the branch! This is just not working. The only transplanting cut-offs that have worked in my garden are the succulents.
(0)

Good morning, Sharyn! How are you going to eat that much potato salad?
(1)

GA, our bakery has tubs the frosting comes in, I think they are around 3 gallon size maybe bigger. I brought home 2 containers that held 10 lb of salad from the deli. I am going to cover them with fabric and use to store craft items.
(0)

Oh, grrr....Should have been "Better keep him!", not "Bester", although it's an interesting contraction of better and best.

Anyway, I'd hang onto him!

I'll bet your yard is really lovely.
(0)

When I think of the backaches, time, more backaches, bed rest and everything else that goes along with installing a French drain, I wonder if it might be easier just to put in some bog plants. I've always liked cattails.

Stacey, your husband sounds like a real winner! Bester keep him!
(0)

Yes, nearly broke his back on that one! He does have a bad back jow, and has to really pace himself! He Loves his yard though! A bit at a time! The house looks beautiful from the street, and he always gets compliments from Neighbors and passerby's, when he's out washing the cars! Keeps him out of trouble! And out of the bars Lol!
(3)

A 60' block wall, just thinking about it gives me backache! It sounds lovely :)
(2)

Hubby has nearly all of the gardens, and that is the entire edges of our fence line, and all up against the house, all weeded, next is planting annuals and all my pots, then bark everywhere. We've got huge clumps of Shasta Daisies all coming up, which we've devided and planted several times now, I just love those! Lots a junipers too. I love this time of year, when it all comes together neat! Must power wash the patios too! I know, I know save water and all, but we're in Seattle, so not much of a shortage here! Lol! Blue skies and Hot today, 80! Spring has sprung!
(1)

Cwillie, we had to put in 2 french draines in our backyard, because closest to the house would get pretty soggy, in the winter and spring. It was a lot of work for my husband, but they work really well, and he did bring in a load of pea gravel, then a load of red decorative rock to add to the tops. No more soggy lawn! One buts up against our large patio, and red rock also surrounds one end, tying things up along side of the house. He also replaced a wooden (rotting) retaining wall with masonry blocks 2 feet high, about 60 feet long, and it all ties in with our red stained fences surrounding the yard. We've got loads of things budding and blooming, the lilac wall against the back fence is now dying back, but it still smells gorgeous!
(0)

Frustrated that my lawn by my garden she is always a soggy mess this time of year I got out my shovel and dug a trench to funnel away the excess. (OK I admit it, it is fun playing in the mud lol). Now I am eyeing the trench and thinking of expanding it creating a dry stream effect. I will have to go scavenger hunting for rock piles on my days away though, I'm like Captain, I'm not gonna pay for something I can find for free.
(1)

If I get a rain barrel, I think I'll put it by the back house downspouts, or the garage, and/or disguise it with elephant ears so the code enforcement Nazis don't see it and issue a citation.

I'd be interested in learning whether you have to have city approval or a permit. In my area, it wouldn't surprise me - it's another method of squeezing funds from the residents.
(0)

I am going to check on the rain barrel idea for garden watering. Don't know if I need city approval.

GA, yes, it just seemed to using the leaf blower was all that was needed without watching everything down too.
(1)

Ashley, thanks for that information, especially on using food grade barrels as rain barrels. That's the primary reason I haven't set up a catchment system - because so much today is from China, and I certainly don't want water going on my garden if it's been sitting in a barrel made in China

I've seen the smaller white tubs at local food stores; they're generally used to store frosting. I might get some of those.

But there's still no guarantee that the barrels don't have BPA as many plastics do. That's another concern.

Sharyn, there's a lot of wasted water here too. Many Americans just don't understand (or perhaps won't try to understand) the fact that some natural resources are truly finite.

Leaf blowers are another use of finite resources; I do understand the use on commercial facilities, but leaf raking for homeowners is a good way to just be outside and get some fresh air. It might be monotonous but it can actually be calming and soothing.

This is a good topic - what do others use to conserve water and/or fuel? Has anyone created a rain garden to catch rainwater in a specific trough type area? I've seen some very attractive rain gardens.

And on that subject, one of the medical facilities attached to the local hospital has 2 sets of Japanese rain chimes flanking the entrance. I love going there in the rain! (If you want to see some beautiful rain chains, Google "Japanese rain chains" and check out the third hit).

I had inquired on a DIY forum some years ago about adding rain chains to my house but was set back in my plans when someone raised the issue that they're generally copper and copper is a target for thieves. Given that the thieves in Detroit and some suburbs strip copper plumbing from houses, I decided I'd have to find another alternative for the chains.
(1)

We use rainwater catchment barrels for watering the garden ... 6 on the garage and one by the deck by the house ... though I think that's illegal in some parts of the US which is crazy. Food grade 55gal drums $10 apiece from a local cookie factory.
(0)

GA, not that I am aware of regarding xeriscaping. What I do see is a lot of water waste with businesses/shopping centers watering the landscaping and spraying their front end entrances to the stores. When my mom was in the hospital a couple weeks ago, they also sprayed off the main entrance to the hospital after using a leaf blower.
(1)

Sharyn, has your community made any efforts to encourage xeriscaping, or lawn removal and replacement with ground cover or xeriscape plants?

In Michigan, we can see the effects of the drought in the higher prices of CA produce.

It's to everyone's benefit to conserve water, and that includes the municipalities and golf courses that still water lawns (especially here in Michigan), and people who perform the weekly car washing ritual.

It's also unfortunate that the laws governing use of greywater aren't more accommodating.
(1)

Our temps here in my part of Cali are rather warm for this time of year, 85. I refer to my part of Cali as Norcal simply because the majority of people only know California as being North and South. I actually live in the Central part of Cali. LOL!!! Yes there is a central and it is not just Big Sur, Carmel and Monterey and other coastal areas. Believe it or not, Sacramento is Central not Northern.

I bring this up because I have been very concerned about news reports on California and the drought. Yes, the dams above the Sacramento area such as Shasta are very full from the snow melt and rain, however, in Central Cali, the dams are not even half full, not to be a debbie downer, the drought is far from over. New Melones Dam, at last report was only at 17% capacity, this dam is in Central Cali where much agriculture is produced.

My city has underground wells to provide water. We are also supplied with water from New Melones. City growth, farming and supplying water to habitats in the delta are all vital needs.

My point is California is still in a drought situation. Conservation of our water is a major concern for everyone in the state. Conserve water wisely.
(3)

this place is meant to be low maintenance . it wont have flower areas , just the two raised gardens which will eventually be adjusted into just one large one . i only have to mow once a year . raise weeds , drop em in place with a walk behind bush hog . the downed weeds hold moisture in the orchard . orchards like that ..
(2)

Is there any way that you can turn some of the scrap into hardscape? There are some really creative ways to integrate masonry and what some people might consider junk. Even bowling balls are used in yard art decorations.
(0)

this whole hilltop is built with block scrap . you could barely fit a car beside the house when i bought the place , now you could turn a triaxle around up here . ive built two homes without any guff from the county planners . id like to keep it that way .
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter