Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I noticed a few of the sweet potatoes in the grocery store were starting to sprout so I grabbed a couple to try to get some slips, I checked first to make sure they were 'product of canada' so they would be a short season variety. Although I haven't had much luck in my earlier attempts I figure I learn a little with each attempt, and I can still eat the potato after I remove the slips so I really can't lose!
(0)

Yes, Spring is arriving!!!
(0)

My snowdrops are just finishing blooming. The loropetulam bushes are bursting out in bloom now, and my Chinese fringe tree is starting to make its lovely fringe. Spring is rapidly on the way.
(1)

The orchids are blooming and I moved the Christmas/Easter cactus to a darker location which has prompted several flower buds forming.
(0)

My snowdrops are blooming :)
(4)

The bouganvillia lives, but is none too happy.
(1)

Don't know who I am anymore, Cwillie, but they kicked me out of the witness protection program, Lol. I love amaryllis, so many planted together looks so pretty. My garden is calling and needs a spring update...maybe tomorrow.
(2)

Hear ya on the "certain scents are headache-causing." Whether it's certain flowering plants or certain perfumes, some work fine for me (and can even be very welcome, like lavender oil and plants), and a few make me feel mildly to very sick. I spritzed a little perfume on last week, 2nd day on the job, I couldn't stop smelling it all day and it was not a good feeling. I came home and threw it in the trash. If I didn't kill every lavender plant I've ever had in record time, I'd get some more of them, try to figure out how to make a good indoor habitat for them. I don't have any faith that I can keep them alive, unfortunately.
(0)

Ha Ha Ha Send... or is that anonymous? We northerners are all just dreaming of gardens, or else making do with what we can grow indoors. I'm excited that my Christmas cactus is actually getting buds and my amaryllis are in spectacular full bloom. At current count I have 19 blooms altogether including 6 all at once on my biggest and oldest bulb!
(2)

How will our gardens grow without GardenArtist?
(1)

Cough.

The gardenia, three heliotropes and a cayenne pepper. There isn't room :P
(1)

Put them in the bathroom and shut the door CM, instant air freshener and plants in the loo are very trendy!
(1)

It is much too cold to put the hyacinths outside, especially now that they've spent four months snuggled up in their compost under cover. I might move them to the spare room and pretend I've put them there to welcome guests - only my cousin's coming to stay next week, and I'm fond of her.

There's also a bowl of very pretty irises which have finished now, and they definitely can't go out because the drawback of this new garden is that from equinox to equinox it seems to get no sun at all. It's quite sheltered - well, there's a socking great cathedral on the north side, for a start - but literally no direct sun, only whatever heat must be bouncing off the walls.

Who do I know who's got a conservatory?
(1)

Oh good Lord, Jingle - I think I'd have been quite a lot *less* polite than that!

On the other hand, what could she do? What could she say? I suppose when you've done something as fat-headed as that, with no way of putting it right really, the only thing to do is brazen it out..?
(0)

CM: Yes, I did too! I thought the only bubbles were the property bubbles that are so prevalent in both (yes! all two!) of our big cities, each on either side of the coast. Now I wonder what other kinds of bubbles there have been in the past -- gum?

Yes, hyacinths can have a very strong scent if you mistakenly plant a boatload of them indoors. When can they go outside? Have you thought of inflicting some of them on someone else, like someone you're not so keen on? I wonder if there has ever been a hyacinth bubble?

Well, I guess there's one in your house. Snort.

Sharyn: I get headaches from some scented candles, depending on the scent. And once I was in a theatre and the person diagonally in front of me was demonstrating some perfume to a friend. Yep, I got the full squirt straight in my face and the smell didn't go away until I got home and washed my hair. I did lean forward to say "You fool!" (well, I was more polite than that) and she just looked at me.
(3)

Cwillie,  I noticed a big bud on my Christmas too. Only one and it will open soon. My orchid has one bloom open and I am sure a couple more will open today.

I get nasty headaches from perfume. I can wear some scented lotions like vanilla scented but others very strong scents gives me headaches. So does scented laundry soap and fabric softeners.
(1)

LOL! Green about the gills from the hyacinth odor? I guess some plants are outdoor plants for a reason. I cannot have lilacs or roses inside as I must have some allergy to them. They always give me a sore throat, many perfumes do too, then it goes into a full blown sinus infection. Took me years to figure that out.
(3)

I always found it comforting to think that they were just as much victims of fashion fads back in the 1600s as we are now - "darling, you absolutely MUST see the marchioness's tulips, they're simply marvellous!" New release iWatch, anyone?

I am a bit green about the gills this morning. I was so proud of myself: potted up my hyacinths back in the autumn and actually remembered to keep an eye on them this year. Overnight, after weeks of anxious watching and strict watering, they've come fully into bloom in my living room.

Turns out I'm really not that keen on the scent of hyacinths in a confined space. Whooo dearie dear...
(4)

CM: Oh ha ha, Church. I've been cutting the plastic off. You mean it's edible? Who knew! (The latest version of 'what will they think of next'...)

Seriously, when DD said it was a cucumber tree, I'd never heard of that. So I was really quite baffled, until she told me that she thought it was a kind of magnolia. When I lived in Kansas we called them tulip trees. (But where do the Dutch get the bulbs then and what abt that tulip bubble in the 17th century ... oh we could go on and on.)

But we won't, will we?
(3)

Twocents, a friend of mine has the coolest hydroponic set up I personally have ever seen, and I'd love to duplicate it when I can. He does a vertical installment, using house gutter tubing, and does a gravity-assisted watering system. He can get dozens of plants/veggies in virtually 2 sf, building his garden up instead of out. I'm so envious of his system where he grows hundreds of greens with so little maintenance. I wish we could attach pics on AC, but alas...

I'd love to do hydroponics, and when I do, I'll mimic his system of gutter tube plantings, because hardly any space is needed. I think he might have a website for his "urban garden." ... ... since you said you were seeking more space for your hydroponics, I thought of his "small space" system.

ETA:  went and looked online, if you Google "vertical hydroponic garden," you can see ones that have a gravity assisted watering method.  I think they're so cool and look quite easy.
(1)

From the supermarket, Jingle. The plastic wrappers are all natural.

Ho ho ho - actually, they're a gourd - same family as melons and squash. Quite easy to grow if you're in a warm climate or have a greenhouse, but they take some space.
(3)

I putter around with my hydroponic set-up(s). I am always trying something different.
With my mom gone, I am doing 150 things at once, including trying to move stuff from the basement upstairs (give more space for my hydro), namely my books. It is a slow process.
I grow lettuce, herbs, and attempting a gardenia (just using the grow lights for that), and will try and use the lights also for a couple of Amaryllis.
(4)

A few years ago, the 150-year-old tree in my kids' front yard, which was only abt four feet square, got hit by lightning and barely missed their house. It was a city tree, so the next year they planted a cute little cucumber tree. Now, I didn't know that cucumbers grew on trees and hola -- I was right -- turns out that it's a species of magnolia tree that is endangered in Ontario. So you rock, Ontario.

But where do cucumbers come from, then???

Signed,
Baffled
(3)

We had heavy rain and High winds last night. We did fine but the Sacramento area received a lot of damage from downed trees. Wow, some of these trees were 200 years old and massive. I can't imagine sitting in my house and suddenly tree branches come through the roof and ceiling.
(1)

I'm in the Southwest, high altitude so we get freezes until early April. I was surprised to see photos of northern gardens with containers of winter sown seeds, surrounded by snow. In a way, they seem to act like tiny cold frames. The only plants that failed were Chinese cabbage because they don't like transplanting and they bolted right away. As the weather warms, I remove the cap from the milk jug so they don't overheat. I'm also a big fan of those little Jiffy 7 peat pellets.
(2)

Linda that sounds like an excellent idea. What part of the country are you in?
I potted up some geraniums to bring in for the Winter and a couple of bean seeds sprouted, flowered and set beans. Unfortunately the cat ate them.
(3)

cwillie, they're like terrariums. I poke holes in the bottom for drainage, and cut the jug crosswise in half except leaving it attached at the handle to form a hinge. Fill with potting soil - I usually get the soil moistened well in a bowl first - add the seeds and cover with dirt. Then I seal the two halves with duck tape all the way around. I put the cap on the bottle and it stays nice and moist inside. If I have to add any water, I add thru the top. I mark the seed info with a Sharpie. I try not to undo the tape because I've found a good tight seal is really important. Put them in the sun and let them do their thing. I like not having to go thru hardening off the seedlings.  I've had success with cold weather items like broccoli and leafy greens.    It's the easiest seed starting I've ever done and the plants transplant without any shock.    I'd like to try this with flower seeds this year.
(3)

I'm curious Linda, are you keeping the milk jugs intact like a seed starting terrarium or are you cutting them down into pots?
(0)

I put spinach seeds and lettuce seeds into gallon milk jugs and set them outside. They'll germinate when it's their time and then I'll transplant to the garden. It's called winter sowing and has worked well for me. I still have garden debris to clean out --
(2)

Mina, and others...
You weren't off topic, and your post was lovely.
Geez, what was I saying-even I cannot figure it out now-I am thinking it went along with another post which was deleted.
My point was the website issues were taking over all the threads.
Coming here to 'Gardening as therapy' has always been like a mini vacation for me.

I am still surprised that my bouganvillia has kept a bloom all through the winter weather. But I will need to go grasshopper hunting, dig around in the dirt for eggs?
The cape honeysuckle vine has been prolific in blooms since October-orange blooms everywhere. A few succulents have orange blooms too. This was nature's design, not mine, but I like it.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter