Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
With all the rain this year, the bare root roses mom planted are in full bloom
(5)

How *interesting* Linda! I certainly didn't know that about sunflowers and cucumbers, but actually it makes a lot of sense - especially about pollination. Sunflowers are always crawling with bees once they're in bloom, so maybe the bees will be willing to make their way down the cucumber vine too?

Do you have to stake the sunflower to make sure it's got enough support?
(1)

Thanks, Linda22!

When Mom passed away, I came home from the hospital that day, wrung out and exhausted - and found 2 pink roses blooming at the same time on her rosebush - something I'd never seen it do before. One for her and one for Dad, I guess.
(4)

Susan, when my parents' house was sold, my sister dug up four rose bushes - they were about 40 years old. She brought me two, which I planted in June, in 90+ heat and sun. Despite doing everything one shouldn't do, they are both thriving 15 years later. Oh, David Austin roses are so beautiful...and the fragrance...
I have volunteer green beans popping up so it must be safe to plant! I have peppers in, the rest I'm putting in this week. I started a lot of flowers from seed indoors and they are doing well getting used to outdoors. I'm going to try growing cucumbers up sunflower plants - who knew they are companion plants? I think it will look so interesting. We have tiny plums so I'm hoping for plums this year. I'm planting the usual - tomatoes, peppers, etc.
(2)

Depends how big and how old they are, and how vigorous; and at the other end how hospitable their new premises are. I'd take cuttings anyway and root them, and then if they can't cope with the move at least you'll have their offspring. If you know the variety you can probably get good advice from David Austin (though mind they don't just try to flog you a replacement!).
(2)

Do you think I could just dig the rose bushes up and transplant them? If I took a big enough root ball of dirt with them? I hate the thought of leaving them behind at all.
(2)

Take cutting from the lilacs, Susan - they should root pretty easily. Roses are unbelievably easy, too - 9" cuttings, straight at the bottom, slanted at the top, heel them in, dig them up after winter and Bob's your uncle - new little rose bushes. I didn't believe the gardening programme about that until I tried it!

I feel for you about having to leave things behind. Actually I don't want to think about it, sorry :(
(1)

I got to thinking today....if I leave this house, I need to dig up a large number of plants. Rhubarb, Mom's 2 rosebushes, some of her flowers....(sigh). That's not a fun thought. There are also 3 very large lilacs that I wouldn't be able to take with me that she nurtured from saplings. They're at least 40-50 years old.
(3)

There was a pink snake in the street, real pink! Not pale pink, but real pink.
Looking it up online, it was a corn snake. Spring. Wonder what these snakes do when they are in the garden?
(1)

I love the hummers too, Sharyn! Take them to the feed store and let them choose, within reason😉
(1)

Zucchini, cucumber, bell peppers. Put in flowers to bring in humming birds. They are so fun to watch.
(3)

Glad, Cilantro and Parsley?

Oh No! Missed the blooming of my one and only white hyacinth! It already came and went, so when Crocus were mentioned (another bulb spring flower), I went outside in the sun to look for it today.
The cape honeysuckle got way carried away and hid the hyacinth. Only one plant, no other colors. Durn it!
(1)

The troughs are all nearly filled with dirt. Add some magic dirt to the top stir in and ready to go. Can probably find cheap manure around here. Daughter 2 is coming tomorrow with two granddaughters. Maybe a project they would enjoy. Hopefully spring is here and nights won't be getting too cold.

Ornamental and kitchen. Might even try tomatoes, which I have never had any luck with! Spinach, radishes, hmmm wonder what else...

Butterfly garden? Hummingbirds? Grands would love that and would have to come more often to see how their garden grows. Quick I need ideas. 😁
(1)

There are many sites if you google. Drainage holes are necessary, broken clay pots or gravel for more drainage and the mesh before putting in soil. Actually what I saw was attractively displayed. You have many options Glad, lucky you to have this available!!
(1)

Glad, Gardeners Supply features metal beds in their new catalog. They're shallower than a horse trough. I think one key is to fill with dirt to the top so the plants get good air circulation. I saw a nice tip about filling very large pots, without using loads of soil. You fill the lower half with packing peanuts, then put weed barrier fabric over the peanuts. You put your soil on top of the fabric, which keeps the soil from filling the voids between peanuts. The peanuts take up space and provide for drainage, plus make the pot lighter weight. I have some flower seedlings going in the house, but am way behind on garden prep. Fruit trees are blooming and perennials wildflowers are leafing out.
(2)

Also occurred to me that if they're galvanised metal they might get a bit hot/cold - you could pop in some insulating material before you plant them up.
(1)

Oh my, six! horse troughs! I am so envious! Wow, that is enough container space to plant anything your heart desires. I top up my containers every year with a bit of manure or a good triple mix, then all you need to do is be mindful of keeping everything watered. Add a bit of slow release fertilizer like miracle grow. If you want you can intermix veggies with flowers, pretty and tasty altogether.
(2)

Bob Flowerdew is your man for best use of unconventional containers, Glad. But as long as they've got the depth and the drainage, I think you're right that you can treat them as you would any raised bed. Brilliant for food production, too - it'll be much easier to keep the beasties out of them. Were you thinking ornamental or kitchen?
(1)

I have been missing GA too! I was going to ask for ideas on what to plant in six different size galvanized horse drinking troughs in my yard. They are quite large and an interesting and unusual approach to raised beds.
(1)

Oh, I am sorry to hear GA has left. I liked her knowledge with gardening and will miss her in put. -8, brrrr cold indeed. Crocuses are so pretty.
(1)

GA seems to have left in frustration when the site was undergoing their updates, I don't know if she ever reads here but she hasn't been posting at all.

I noticed a few brave purple crocus blooming this morning, the sun is shining but it was a frosty -8 celcius when I got up. I'm tired of the cold.
(2)

I am sooo excited!!!! My long awaited iris garden is going to bloom this spring. Several flower stems are growing now. A garden of beautiful purple.

Has anyone heard from Garden Artist? I haven't seen any postings from her for some time now.
(2)

I didn't know why ma and aunt liked gardening so much... You cannot really mess things up.. Worse case scenario, noting grows the way you imagained.

I like pulling up weeds after a huge rainfall, and then I like to bury plants... I dig a hold, bury the roots, and tell the plants, it's up to them to survive.....

I found out, I am good at killing plants.... O well.....
(1)

When we move to Idaho, I plan to have planter box gardens for veggies. The backyards there are very big so we could easily have 3-4 standard size planters. I want to go as organic as I can re the food we eat and my dd wants to do the same. We can share our bounty with each other.
(2)

Good for you CM. Unfortunately my mower won't mow snow.
(2)

Yes spring is definitely on its way. Got the mower out and dug over one of the flower beds. Ow. I think my back must have rusted up over the winter.
(0)

I noticed a few of the sweet potatoes in the grocery store were starting to sprout so I grabbed a couple to try to get some slips, I checked first to make sure they were 'product of canada' so they would be a short season variety. Although I haven't had much luck in my earlier attempts I figure I learn a little with each attempt, and I can still eat the potato after I remove the slips so I really can't lose!
(0)

Yes, Spring is arriving!!!
(0)

My snowdrops are just finishing blooming. The loropetulam bushes are bursting out in bloom now, and my Chinese fringe tree is starting to make its lovely fringe. Spring is rapidly on the way.
(1)

The orchids are blooming and I moved the Christmas/Easter cactus to a darker location which has prompted several flower buds forming.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter