Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Green Onions, radishes, red and orange bell peppers, and for Ali, Kale.
I have lots of bunny rabbits in my garden, nothing edible except aloe.

Will there be salad dressing when virtual reality hits the West Coast PST 2 1/2 hrs. from now?
(0)

The Virtual Parlor will be open today for the eclipse viewing. Special protective screens meeting scientific standards have been installed on the windows, so we can watch in safety.

I'm thinking a light salad with fresh scones might be appropriate while we wait. Lemonade has been made from fresh lemons, blueberries are fresh and ripe for the scones, and the Romaine and leaf lettuces have been harvested and washed. Grape and Beefsteak tomatoes, green and red peppers and cukes are being washed now.

Anyone want anything else on their salads? What are your gardens producing now? Donations for a big salad are always welcome!
(1)

After physical therapy yesterday, I walked by and chopped the rest of the daisy plant down because I could walk really well.
(2)

As you know, GardenArtist, fall is so very very far away. Cwillie will agree.

We could all sit poolside on comfy and luxurious outdoor couches, covered with a gazebo awning, and you could lead the edible psyche gathering. We will call you the Barefoot Confessor. Lol.

Since I don't drink, I will help make lemonade and tall tea drinks with bottled water ice cubes, spike it with appropriate alcohol (needing recipes for that), and stick an umbrella in it, with a slice of fruit.

Sorry, I don't have names for my succulents.
(1)

"We'd need to do some serious gardening before we eat that." CWillie, IF we can move! Maybe we should plan a gentle exercise workout before gardening. Or maybe not? I'm already salivating at the thought of a delicious, decadent cake.

Is the cream whipped till thickened, then all ingredients are blended together, then refrigerated? Any baking involved?

And what a great way to banish caregiving stress!

BTW, is anyone familiar with Marcel DeSaulniers? He used to host a program called Death by Chocolate. The recipes were so rich I could get a sinus headache just by watching him create a ganache.

Stacey, you can't know how much Dad and I love pasties! The ones available at grocery stores are loaded with lard, so much so that you can see blobs of white on the crust. I'd love to make them this fall, opening the windows and letting the fragrance waft through the neighborhood. I could make the filling, puree it, and what a great meal it would be for Dad.

Sausage rolls could actually work for dysphagia as well. Ground meats are recommended, so I'd puree the other ingredients, blend them with the ground sausage and Dad would have a good, hearty meal either of sausage or pasty.

Can I have the recipes, or if they're online, a link for them?

I can pay you for the hens and chicks; they could go in a Friendship Garden which I've designed and still haven't created. Maybe Fall would be a good planting time; we're hitting high 80's again in the next few days. Or maybe we should plan to create a Friendship Garden at one of our Virtual Social Gatherings?

MsMadge, yes, perhaps we're all Barefoot Contessas. Since we're also caregivers, we should create a unique name for our Virtual Parlor. Suggestions? I don't think Barefoot Caregiver would be too inspiring!

I'll get a new freezer and frig to accommodate our creations for other caregivers who might need to stop by for an edible psychological gathering.

Looks like we might have sausage rolls, pasties, Chocolate Mocha Icebox Cake and trifle for our first get-together. If we can calm our appetite surges, we could have a hearty meal gathering in fall; the chill of the cold air would spur our appetites and we could really indulge!

Or we could test the recipes at a plant swap in fall, a great time to plant anyway. I have a few hundred daylilies crowding each other out in my house garden. It'll be a perfect time to transplant them.
(2)

Oooh God Cwillie, that Chocolate Trifle sounds delicious! The one I make is more of the Traditional type, the berry kind, but I'm in!
(3)

Your mention of the barefoot contessa had me visiting her website, where I found a recipe for Mocha Chocolate Icebox Cake, sort of a trifle gone wild.
2 cups cold heavy cream
12 ounces Italian mascarpone cheese
½ cup sugar
¼ cup Kahlúa liqueur
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, such as Pernigotti
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 (8-ounce) packages Tate’s Bake Shop chocolate chip cookies
Shaved semisweet chocolate, for garnish
OMG. We'd need to do some serious gardening before we eat that.
(4)

I'm picturing a barefoot contessa type menu coming together here
(4)

Pasties? Sausage rolls? Yum, I'll be right over!
Er, I'll just swing by the grocery store to pick up my contribution.
(4)

I would Love to give you a section of my Chicken & Hens! It would do my heart proud to know that my generational succulents were now growing in your garden too!

I would also be happy to bring a Trifle to your Virtual Social Gathering! I learned how to make a good one, taught by my Mum, and alway very refreshing! My Mom and her 3 sisters always made Trifle for every family event, but my Mom's was the best! I also make a mean Sausage Roll and Corned Beef Pasty's, if we are serving for a croud! Can't wait, just name the date!
(4)

If I were closer to the West Coast, I'd be over with shovel, soil and pots to take some of your succulents. What kind of plants do you have? I've always loved Hens and Chicks, but hybridizers have created some lovely landscaping plants, such as the blue yucca.
(0)

Thank you for the gardening suggestions GA.
Sharyn, I also love the cottage gardens! My garden is nothing like I would have designed it, but it does have an overgrowth of donated succulents that I will share with everyone!
(2)

Excellent GA!! Love the conservatory!! In RL, I always wanted a green house. I love cottage gardens over formal gardens.
(2)

Stacey, those kinds of virtual parlours were such a relief for us when we had a good group posting and creating fantastic scenarios.

I would be glad to have a tour; perhaps I'll bake another batch of cupcakes, pick some lemons from l'orangerie and make fresh lemonade, maybe with sprigs of mint from the kitchen garden.

If we have time, perhaps we can create bouquets of herbs, or something like Herbs de Provence bouquets for each visitor to take home.

Would you be willing to donate a trifle? I'll supply the fresh fruit. We could even have some bake sessions, either preceded or followed by caregiving discussions. The challenges it brings are more easily dispelled when addressed with good company and food.

I'm thinking we could also have a swap garden to share plants with others.

Trifles remind me of one of the best brunches in the area, a little over 20 years ago. It was at an historic old inn, which still had hitching posts outside for the horses. The floors creaked as we walked on old wood which was probably as old as the inn. Antique furniture lined the walls; the rooms were more dimly lighted as old period lighting was used.

The modern world was left behind as we entered this old colonial inn, and prepared for a feast that exceeded the best of any of the 5 star hotels in the area.

The food included standard brunch items, but there was always a large, delicious trifle. I could easily have seconds or thirds if I hadn't already eaten too much. And now, I think I need to rummage around and see what I have to create a trifle.
(2)

GA, I love it! All I had to do was close my eyes and envision you putting together your Masterpiece luncheon from all the wonderful things in your beautiful 5 acre Conservatory! LOL! After lunch, can we have a tour about the place as I would love to see all the different sections of plants around the world! The brownies were Lovely by the way as was the raspberry trifle! My favorite!
(1)

Oh, I do apologize, Send. I didn't see that you had already brought desserts for us. I'll visit the General Topics and sample some treats. And thank you for your efforts!

Plant problems....first, my experience with acrylic or plastic pots is that they prevent aeration. Clay pots are great but can lose moisture too quickly in hot weather. Plastic pots don't breathe and can keep the soil too warm. Through experiments, I learned that some flowering plants, such as wax begonias, thrived only in Styrofoam pots. They're not very attractive, but I think the next time I use one I'll grow morning glories and train them downward to entwine themselves around the pot to create a lovely "pot trellis."

I'm wondering if that's what happened - the roots overheated in the CA heat and just died?

Another option is some type of unwelcome insect critter made a home in the pots and ate the roots. Did you see any signs of this? Was the soil heated or decontaminated before use?

I think I'd sterilize the planters, try to drill holes in them for at least bottom drainage if they don't have that, and perhaps drill a few along the sides. How large are these pots? Test them with one daisy and something else, to see if both plants survive or don't. If the daisy doesn't, there might have been something that attacked its root system. I don't know what diseases might be specific to daisies.

Definitely replace all the soil for the rest of the daisies, but root them first if there are no roots left at all. If you have other plants in similar pots, I'd guess that either the soil was a factor, the plants were diseased, or the plants got too much sun.

The daisies might regenerate, but I'd try to root them in water, in a cool place, before repotting them if there are no roots at all left.

The year before last I lost half a dozen hydrangeas and a buddleia bush. I think I hadn't prepared the soil well enough.
(3)

Well, I'll be the first to offer some scrumptious yummies, and a slightly embellished tale to distract us from caregiving.

Since many of us love chocolate, I thought some chocolate brownies with bits of raspberries might be a good start. So I wandered into my several thousand square foot conservatory, modeled after an English Victorian style, to pick some fresh raspberries from the repeat fruiters I'm growing in containers. Naturally I liberally sampled the berries to ensure their quality met our standards.

Of course I'll need some fresh chocolate, so I dipped into my stock of chocolate berries that I harvest periodically from the South American portion of the greenhouse. Grinding them with my little hand held grinder released a fragrant aroma that elevated my spirits, as well as my energy.

Hand picked nuts from bonsaied walnut trees were added to the brownie mix.

My kitchen became even more fragrant while the mixture was baking in my old fashioned wood stove oven, naturally vented outside in my Victorian summer kitchen refreshed by cooling breezes from open windows on every side of the room.

By the time the brownies were finished, even the local birds had come to rest on the window sills and sing lovely songs, perhaps in hopes of getting a few brownie crumbs?

Fresh chocolate also contributed to the frosting, with a touch of dried and ground raspberries to complement the flavor of the brownies.

And now they're cooling on a lovely Wedgewood plate, waiting for visitors to sample.

But, we need something to drink: tea...or lemonade? Will someone else contribute this?
(1)

Sharyn and GardenArtist,
Coffee and cupcakes are being served on "General Topics."
You would be most welcome there.
You are invited!

I have a gardening question. There are four 24" planters (some acrylic type of fake stone) and plants have died or rotted. They were still blooming yellow flowers, but when I went to trim the one, it just fell apart, rotted at the base. Cut short now, no foliage at all.
Will it grow back, being a hearty yellow daisy type bush that lasted 5 years?

When/if I replant the planters, should I replace all the dirt? Half the dirt, just add new?

Thanks for any advice. I already killed a new hydrangea this year. A new fall planting woukd be nice, starting over. Of course, it is still summer, and I want to plant early for fall.

These planters are the same ones my bouganvillia and rose bush are in, doing ok.
(2)

GA, sounds yummy!! A new thread, Welcome to our virtual parlor
(1)

Sharyn, years ago, the Victoria magazine sponsored a wonderful forum for those interested not only in Victorian lifestyles, gardens and more. It was the most diversified and sophisticated forum I've ever found - it covered such a broad range of gracious lifestyles.

If you've ever read the Victoria magazine, you'll get a sense of that gracious lifestyle. And these days, we need some grace in our lives,

Some of the posters decided to create a virtual gathering place, like a parlor, great room, living room...someplace where we could chat, and enjoy virtual food. We used to have these kinds of gatherings after the Jane Austen Society meetings. I needn't mention that the food was delicious, but so high in sugar that it was easy to get dizzy from the sugar spike.

The food prepared at home by the Victoria forum community and virtually shared was literally "to die for." Scones, home made bread, fresh salads from home grown produce, special English dishes, trifles...and much more.

So, I think you could virtually share some of your blackberry scones - just tell us about the fragrance of baking them, of your first bite and how delicious it was, whether you ate them with freshly brewed tea, or coffee... We'll enjoy your hard work and visualize your delicious scones.
(2)

Out of butter for the mix. Tomorrow is another day!!
(0)

The scone mix has a small jar of huckleberry jelly. I was hoping since huckleberries grow wild here in Idaho, I could find them fresh or frozen. The jelly will suffice with some melted butter on warm scones. Now to to go make them, hee hee!!
(1)

Sharyn, you might find fresh huckleberries at a Whole Foods store, or farmer's market. I don't recall ever seeing them in chain grocery stores, although they might be in the frozen section (which I don't check very often).

I would think you could probably substitute blackberries or blueberries; they might even compliment the huckleberry flavoring in the scone mix.
(2)

I have a clear bag with huckleberry scone mix. It was in a gift basket we received from the builder. I should see if I need to add huckleberries, don't know where to find them though.
(1)

As long as it is Summer....and in Southern California it is mostly Summer 362 days a year,
(an exaggeration); I will contine to use this recipe for scones:
Get up, get in the car, drive to starbucks early enough to capture those expensive biscuits (not one dollar) that are flying off the shelf, share with hubs, drop him off at work, return home to brush off the crumbs. He says, "I didn't know I was still hungry!".
The only time he talks to me, so the scones are so worth it, imo!!!
(3)

Send, how many eggs, how much milk and flour?

How do you make your cranberry and orange glaze? Chopped or minced cranberries? Orange juice, dried orange peel, or chopped oranges?

I'm thinking that you could probably make a blueberry sauce as well?

Good thing the humidity here is 80% and the dewpoint is 74 or I'd be making biscuits.

This would be a nice way to begin a Fall day - but let's wait until CWillie's summer is ended so she can enjoy too!

I agree we need to make sure the Wisteria doesn't consume CM. There are so many valuable people on this forum and she's one.

CWillie, I used to be able to get nice, firm but soft scones; but lately the stores that sell them seem to freeze them, then thaw them (maybe when their commercial freezers become crowded) and they're hard. Yuk.

And since we're discussing baked delicacies, one thing I've avoided is exploring the local French bakery. I would probably come out with a maxed out credit card and my arms full of delicious, tasty, but fattening goodies.
(2)

Yes, I was wondering!
(0)

Have you ever wondered what the difference is between scones and biscuits? About $1 each. LOL
(2)

GardenArtist,
A radio play was already done, on BBC, called "Day of the Triffids". Those plants sounded worse than CM's wistaria, people were disappearing! CM's story was well written, I agree, but let's try to make sure she doesn't disappear, Lol.

Recipe for Scones:
Mix the egg and milk in a small bowl, and stir into flour mixture until moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges, and place on the prepared baking sheet.

My scones have cranberries and orange glaze.  Take and eat!
(1)

Okay, Send, do you realize that your new avatar of with a stack of freshly baked, aromatic biscuits is so tempting that I want to make some myself? That I can smell the aroma of freshly baked biscuits just removed from the oven? And drizzle them with honey, or with applesauce? Do you realize how hungry you're making me?

That's okay though, at least there's no chocolate syrup on them.

Now, where did I place those recipes for biscuits that I knew someday would have to be filed???
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter