Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
If you want a screen then morning glories are nice but they might be a little too vigorous for a container garden, I'm especially fond of "heavenly blue".
(3)

We are zone 5. I have trumpet vines that have taken over everything in the yard at this house I rent. Cut one way back last spring and a tree sprung out, and boy it must have grown five feet last summer.

General rule be very careful of vines tend to them regularly. Now my mom used to put out sweet pea vines and she loved them so, pinks. This was when I was just a little kid. Wonder, now, if she stopped because they took over everything. Then there were the raspberry bushes and spearmint that I know she struggled with for years trying to get rid of. The spearmint was in her mint Julep days after returning from New Orleans. Wonder what trip the Moscow mule phase came from? The Mai Tai is easy to figure out.

No, she was never a big drinker but always returned from a trip with a new cocktail recipe. LOL! That would have been much easier than a recipe book which have been my trip souvenirs. Well I sure got off track didn't I? Reminiscing.
(2)

Today it started SNOWING out of the blue. WHAT!!! I'd told mom I'd pick up some tulips to bring on spring....I meant cut ones, but when the snow started, I swung by the garden centre and picked up some forced ones in pots.

Soooooo empty at the garden centre! Mostly indoor plants and a few potted flowers. I wanted to buy some indoor plants for mom's place, but the kitten is not past the "tasting everything" phase. (The tulips have to live on the mantle, which he can't reach yet.)

I am going to miss growing my little garden at home this spring. I might do scarlet runner on mom's balcony so I don't have to look at the dumb shopping mall. (I welcome other fast-growing vine suggestions! We are zone 6.)
(2)

Have seeds started and have several things growing in greenhouse. Radishes, Turnips, Carrots,Beets, tomatoes, cucumbers. Waiting on the others. Looking forward to spring.
(0)

I picked up some seed packs today, going to start them in the mini greenhouse this week and see how they do. MAybe they will be big enough to plant in the spring! I am ready for spring!
(2)

Liking my new plants, I bought 3 pygmie dwarf palms. The small ones were very inexpensive. Actually caught up with dH as he was walking by, and together we potted them. The pain the next day was minimal, so I decided to try going outside more often.
We stopped at potting two, and the 3rd one is on the porch. Gardening was therapy.
(5)

I think container fruit trees would be the ultimate in container gardening fun, it would be perfect for experimenting with espaliering and organic practices would be so much easier on mini trees. Like all containers though, you would need to be diligent about watering because even one day of drought can spell disaster.
(1)

Waiting for the GardenArtist to return, MsMadge.

But, I may look it up for you. I too would like patio containers of the fruit trees.
(1)

Is anyone familiar with ultra dwarf fruit trees?

Was at Home Depot tonight and they had bare root roses and trees and the fruit trees labeled ultra dwarf looked interesting - said they can be planted in containers on patios and bear fruit
(2)

I think it's barley and oats, maybe? Anyway I think regular grass is probably ok! Lol.
(1)

I think cat grass is usually just oats, if you happen to know a local farmer Dorianne.
(3)

Another thread I haven't been in yet!

I used to do a lot of gardening as part of my property maintenance job, till my injury. And I spent 3 summers clearing overgrowth and helping with landscaping, after a friend bought a disused hobby ranch. I had a gorgeous balcony garden and an indoor jungle till I moved my mom up here to care for her. All my plants withered from neglect, and all I have left are empty pots of dirt. So I haven't come in here, because I feel so bad for letting my lovely green friends die....

But I did buy myself a couple of houseplant ivies last week, for my bedroom windowsill at my mom's place. And I decided to pot the cats up some grass to nibble on at the same time. (Just regular grass seed in some dirt - I think the "cat grass" kits are about a 1000% markup for what you get.)

It was soooo lovely to sink my fingers into some nice, clean potting soil. And the smell! I missed it! I want to grow an indoor jungle again....but I'll have to "prove" myself with the ivies first.
(1)

CDN, that's very thoughtful of you. It's a reminder that graves can be decorated any time of the year and not just at Memorial Day. I tend to forget that.

As to drying out, I've read that anti-desicants can be used but I've never tried any. When I first planted my evergreens, I used burlap to create a protective area and minimize the effect of the westerly winds. Could you do something like that? I'm not sure whether the cemetery rules would allow it though.

Thanks for sharing; I like your idea and think I'll make some wreaths for my mother's and sister's graves.
(1)

I brought two Christmas wreaths and two potted Christmas trees to my dad's cemetery site. I hope they will not dry out with the mulch so we'll see how they do.
(2)

Daughter, aren't they fascinating? I imagine all sorts of ways they could be incorporated into designs - for embroidery, knitting or crochet (although I'm not at that level of design), quilting, knot garden designs and more. Even cake decoration could incorporate fractal designs.

I'm really glad you enjoyed them!
(3)

GA, last night I spent a good 30 minutes online looking at beautiful pictures of fractals in nature thanks to you! Wasn’t familiar and now glad I am!
(4)

One year I was in a creative mood and tried to dry and make a lot of stationery from garden cuttings. Fern leaves were gathered and pressed in delicate tissue paper, along with violets and some herbs.

Well, the thought was good, but somehow the implementation lacked something...preservatives... I'm not really sure. I think I still have them upstairs in the studio someplace. But your comments on ferns reminded me of how lovely they are and how much I'd love to save that beauty somehow, other than in photographs.

BTW, are you familiar with fractals? Ferns are a good example.

CM, I remember that we had some discussion of fractals sometime ago. Are you still over here in the garden or are you, like many of us, hunkered down for a cold winter?
(1)

You’re right GA, it’s hard to grow ferns indoors, they like to be outside for sure. The gold and rust one sounds lovely, I’ll have to look for it. I’ve not taken cuttings, but that’s a great idea
(0)

Maidenhairs are beautiful ferns. Actually, I've never seen a fern that wasn't beautiful - I love them!

I tried to grow the Bostons in an apartment, but it was just too dry.

In the garden I have ostrich ferns and used to have some other ferns which gradually succumbed to hot weather, dryness, and other causes I haven't identified.

A variety that I really love are the ferns with shades of gold and somewhat of a rust color. They're just sooooo stunning! The VanBourgondien catalogue and especially Wayside Gardens have beautiful fern collections.

Do you take cuttings of your fern? You could create a Fern Garden throughout the house!
(1)

I have a maidenhair fern in a pot. It once belonged to a grandmother I never knew, she died when I was three years old from complications of dementia and strokes. My mother had her love of plants and so took her mother’s plants. Somehow this one always lived. I’ve seen it near death many times when I was growing up, I’ve also seen it get huge, sending out long tendrils that would then fill in with foliage. At times when it was brought in the house during a winter freeze I can remember my dad saying he feared it was going to grow more and strangle him in the night, ha! I’ve had it for probably fifteen years now, moved it between both pots and states and it’s still doing fine. Currently it’s inside for winter, though it doesn’t like the heat, and will likely lose some of its long tendrils and foliage. This fern has to be more than 50 years old, just amazing to me. I always see people buy hanging baskets of fern, most often Boston, in the spring to hang on porches, and by summers end at latest they’re in the trash. Such a waste when they really need so little effort. Anyway, wish I could share a pic of my old lady of houseplants, she’s just grand!
(2)

Veronica, isn't it wonderful when something survives despite obstacles? It is like a small miracle - the world can be in turmoil, countries fighting one another, a buffoon in a top elected position, elected officials shamed for inappropriate behavior, yet one small plant survives against the odds.

Hooray for plants!
(2)

I do manage to kill lots of things but one year was given a small live Christmas tree that I planted on the banks of our pond. That poor thing tried so hard to live and finally succeeded even after our neighbor mowed it.
Last Christmas I was given a poinsettia and from neglect most of the leaves fell off so I cut it down to bare stalks. Well a miracle happened and new leaves started to sprout, and finally this week the newist top leaves are starting to turn red
(1)

Ok!
(0)

Send, you mentioned feeding the pine. Don't feed it while it's rootbound and in a pot - that would stress the tree out as it has no more room to grow. Better to transplant it, let it adapt and settle in first.

I'm not sure pines even need feeding; they grow so well in the wild, but then there's a natural compost from the falling leaves. Mother Nature's compost is best!
(1)

Yep, Gardenia are easy to kill. There were 3 mature bushes under a tree, long ago.
After buying the house, they died within a year.
Reminds me, the succulent ground cover is dead! Take it out! It looks bad, sitting at the front of the driveway. Who is going to do this? Bwah hooey!
(0)

I think the trouble is when there is so much root in the pot that there's no more room for enough compost to retain enough water, so you either have to move up a pot size or prune back the roots.

I'm hopeless at giving up on plants, too. Like my gardenia plant, which I am very very upset about and for months insisted it was just a bit upset about getting sunburnt when I took it outdoors in May for what was supposed to be a treat. Nope. Last month was forced to admit that the technical term for what ails it is "dead." It's awaiting burial in the back porch, while I pretend to myself that I'm not secretly hoping and praying for a miracle.
(3)

CM,
The tree is not worthy of real bonsai making. I think it is just the concept to learn how to trim it up nicely, as if bonsai expert! I liked reading how trees grow (and we can control it); and to trim up to 1/3 so it won't die.
The pot has limited it's growth, that did take years. If I cut off all the recommended wayward branches, there would be no tree. Not being able to walk from pain today has limited my gardening future.  Hubs dropped out early, was just wandering, wishing he could disappear, and I don't blame him.  So we both disappeared to In-N-Out.

Next, I will feed the tree.  Maybe today.
(0)

Thank you Cwillie, Garden Artist, and Countrymouse!
Me too, googling is so much more fun than hurting from just moving the pot around.
I read up on the bonsai.
Funny, this tree has never had any pine cones. It is about 6 ft. tall now, very sparse.
Will probably make this happen in the spring.
(0)

I've googled bonsai for pine trees and gone to youtube... fascinating stuff.
(0)

Take it out of the pot.

You will probably find a dense carpet of roots.

Shave them, ruthlessly. Detangle as you get further in.

Repot in fresh compost.

There's an article about doing this under Lippi Consulting Arborists, though they're talking about preparing nursery grown plants for planting out; the good news is that your tree should recover nicely with a pruned root system and a good long drink.

I haven't checked with the RHS but I'm pretty sure they'd just say stop trying to keep a pine tree in a pot.

Don't bonsais take decades?
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter