Follow
Read More
It snowed in Chicago yesterday. I saw the plow/salt trucks waiting by the on ramps to the highways and thought "surely the city is overreacting some." But nope, we had some snow.

This isn't gardening related but I have a ticket to see Cubs game tomorrow night. It had better be good enough weather to go!! I can deal with this lingering cold, but don't want any rain or snow or sleet weather. It will be interesting to me to see if the famed Wrigley Field ivy is starting to get leaves yet.
(1)

Our weather is still unstable. Yesterday was beautiful, sunny with no wind. Today it’s grey, cold and windy. Ugh!
(2)

Wow 95.I would take it. I would love that. it has been crazy weather this year hear too.Supposed to have some high 70s and 80s the rest of the week then another cold day/ Crazy/
(2)

Smeshque . Too bad I couldn't give you some of the heat we had here today. 95 degrees F. A scorcher. And tomorrow it'll be 75 degrees. Crazy weather.
(2)

We had two days to protect our vegetable plants. Unexepected freeze came in . We were not prepared, so we took bags of leaves from friends, covered all the plants with them, and prayed.
We were blessed not to lose any, the leaves did a greta job offering insulation. Its the first time we tried that. And am so glad it worked.
Harvested more lettuce, turnips and spinach today.
Really hoping weather works itself out soon.
However I do not look forward to tornado season. :( :( :( :(
(3)

I worked making a berm along part of the fence line today. It’s actually more of a mound and more will be added. The water pools in this area as a low point in the yard. After it’s done, planting perennials.
(3)

Errg, I hate powdery mildew.
Last year I experimented with a recommended spray made of 1 part milk to 2 parts water but I waited until my plants (phlox) were too far gone to tell if it really made a difference.
(2)

Looks like mom's yellow roses are getting powdery mildew
(1)

you got a good deal Daughter!! That is great
(1)

Just went plant shopping this weekend at a flea market (does everywhere have those? Tremendous hodgepodge of stuff, mostly junk, but some treasures among the plants) I bought 3 lovely purple crepe myrtles for a planned new bed along our side property line. They’ll be the tall plants with something as yet unbought that will be medium sized and also small in front. They were $5 each! Also found a small variety of crepe myrtle that has very dark, like deep burgundy leaves, blooms white, and never gets over 6-8 feet. I don’t know the name yet, need to do some research on it. Bought a climbing vine, commonly called a confederate jasmine, blooms white and smells very good. Also found verbena in pretty pinks and purples. They are perennial here. A few others I’m not thinking of at the moment. I think I spent $30 total and drove back with a smile, looking forward to digging in the dirt
(2)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I agree bees near the front door is not a good idea. I didn't think about that. It's very sunny in the afternoon. Too hot in the summer standing at the front door. I like the idea of mixing edible with non edible. I'm not familiar with most of the plant suggestions. I am going to look up on the internet to see what they look like. Maybe a small tree tall enough to give shade and some flowers and edibles at the base. Thanks
(1)

Mixing edibles and ornamental plants is a whole "thing"... consider kale, chard, herbs, even cherry tomatoes mixed with flowers - marigolds are pretty but the possibilities are endless.
(2)

Hummingbird mint is great, low water xeriscape plant. There are many varieties and colors. Look for agastache for the options. I will be using some as well, had several at my old house.

Over the weekend I saw a gardening spot on the news. There is a giant lily hybrid that flowers get as big as your head. I may try to find those bulbs and start them in a large pot to take with me to the new house. A nice plastic lightweight pot easier to move.

There is a garden here with lilies that need to be thinned out badly. May decide to tackle that.
(2)

Polarbear, maybe a Japanese maple tree would suit your purpose. They are pretty, slow growing and provide color and texture. Attracting pollinators to close to your entry door may not be a good idea. If you have a sunny location, hummingbird mint is very pretty and attracts bees and hummingbirds, they have a fragrant smell too.
(2)

polarbear- what about some tiger lily's, begonias, or dahlias? They attract hummingbirds and come back each year as they are bulbs, I believe. They have a variety of colors.
Happy planting.
(1)

My MIL wants to give us a nice HUGE heavy ceramic planter. It takes two people to lift and carry it when empty. She wants to know what we will plant in it. I have NO idea what I would plant in it. But it would look good at the front steps leading to the entrance. I prefer plants/trees with practical and useful purposes (edible, or at least attracting bees to pollinate) yet still looks pretty year round. I know I am asking for a lot.

Any suggestions? Thanks
(0)

cwillie- I understand we planted a few things outside this last week and had to cover them today with straw and plastic in hopes they will not freeze. We are having crazy weather here, sunshine and warm and then freezing. :(
(1)

Snowdrops first appeared in Feb during a warm spell, now they are back looking bedraggled. No sign of any other blooms yet.
Time to spray my dwarf blue spruce with dormant oil in hope of stopping a repeat of last years gypsy moth invasion.
The long term forecast is for continuing below normal temps :(
(0)

WoW

I'm quite enjoying the pink hibiscus in an urn next to the side door

I pruned mom's yellow rose bush way back this year not expecting any blooms until next but it is covered

I wish she could see it
(2)

Iris's are out and about.
Harvested- some turnips, spinach, lettuce, radishes
Growing- are tomatoes, canteloupes, beets,carrots, cucumbers, peppers, cilantro,brocolli, basil, rosemary, sage, oregano
Planted-potatoes,( red, blue, yukon gold), squash and zuchinni, more turnips, beets, and radishes, watermelons, garlic, corn
(2)

Veronica, just a few days ago I read of early spring bulbs that deer don't eat. I think they might have been Siberian Squills, but I'll see if I can find the article.

You might be able to soften the ground by mulching with last year's leaves. Or you could take cuttings now and start them, so they'll be established by the time you leave.

I hope the weather stays nice for your move. When I was 9, we moved on a blizzardy day, left our poor little cat behind; Dad stopped over at the old house and got her for us.

I've moved another time in frigid weather. No more - from now on I'll only move in nice weather!
(0)

Well here's an interesting dilemma. I have not even seen the garden i will be tending this year because we will be moving at the end of the month to Maryland into a house i have only seen pictures of. The pictures do look very nice and i am assured that the hardscape and landscaping are lovely.
In our current location the bulbs are pushing their way up through the snow. i don't have anything like snowdrops or crocus because either the mice dig up the bulbs or the deer eat the flowers. They mostly leave the daffodils alone because they are actually poisonous, but the occasional head gets bitten off.
I hope the ground will be soft enough to dig up some mint and chives before we leave.
(3)

Garden reports, please! What's sprouted, what's in bloom, what are your plans for this year (any changes, new beds, etc.), and what have you bought so far?

I just realized I haven't even ordered any catalogues, and only received one from a company from which I ordered years ago.

This year I'm going to try to plant a lot more herbs, as I had years ago, as well use daylilies as parterre borders. For years my goal has been to create a formal, French chateau style garden while surrounding the parterres with an English Country Garden. I hope I can get that accomplished, at last.

The May issue of The English Garden is available now, complete with a captivating special addition on roses. I am sure I can smell the fragrance of those beauties just by glancing at the special handout.
(2)

Spring is emerging from my house garden - the daylilies are up about 3 - 4". Deep purple crocuses appeared on Monday. And this is despite overnight temperatures in the 20s.

The landscaping magazines and garden catalogues are calling to me, and of course I must obey!
(2)

We are not quite out of the frost stage yet. Stores are bringing out early spring plants like pansies.

I do have plants on order such as a rose, lilac, and daisies. In a couple weeks they will be arriving. Looking forward to some color and flowers!
(1)

Dorianne, I inherited some lovely honeysuckle when I bought my house decades ago. I love the fragrance. There's another variety I've just seen in a gardening catalogue that's on my "to buy" list - it's Lonicera Mint Crisp. I've never heard of or seen a mint scented honeysuckle, but I love anything that's mint scented.

Another, Lnicera Scentsation, is touted to be a rebloomer over 3 seasons, so I take that to mean it blooms from spring to fall. This might be another addition to my garden.

Glad, thanks for the heads up. I'm sure I can find some reason to go to WW and wander by the plant section. Lowes seeds section is another place I need to visit, just browsing, of course!
(2)

Saw first plants at wally world, columbines and some yellow flowering potted vines. Way too early in this area to even think about. Here mother's day is usually considered safe from frost.
(1)

Thanks, smeshque. Probably some law about sending seeds across the US-Canada border though. :-) I will keep my eyes out for honeysuckle when the garden centres open. Not sure what else I'll grow, but it will depend what colour vine flower I end up with!
(1)

Hope you find some honeysuckle or something lovely to grow on the balcony, it will be nice to smell and see. Flowers are such a nice bonus in life. I was given this vine that grows these pretty little flowers and it grows really fast and well. I have no idea what it is called, but if I can get the name of it, I will throw it your way for you to check out. I have a ton of seeds, if interested.
(1)

Honeysuckle seems like a good idea for mom's balcony, from what I've read so far!  Looks like there are several varieties for our zone. 
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter