Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Already the plants are way ahead of me. The daylilies are about 7 - 8" tall, getting close to the time for transplanting as I plan to move them away from the house and use them to create borders for formal beds.

Realtors with whom I've spoken indicate I live in a strong sellers' market area, and I want to move as soon as I sell my father's house. I've always wanted a formal garden, so now's the time while I still have the large yard.

The daffodils and Siberian Squills are in bloom, I'm salivating at the great prices I've found for glads, dreaming of planting large elephant ears with dahlias inbetween them along the fence, and sometimes getting so excited that I get headaches trying to figure out how to do it all.

What is everyone else doing now? Have you bought your early plants? Started seedlings in pots? Hardening them off now? Visiting garden stores to select your plants for this year?

Or are you waiting until May to ensure that there are no more snow storms hiding around the corner?
(0)

Its true Ms. Madge Llamas are like donkeys in that they will scare of coyotes.
(1)

See that on Youtube!
(0)

I'm trying to envision a llama scaring away a coyote ?
(1)

Cwillie-Great news, you can milk a sheep. I just looked it up, interesting idea. Now I gotta get the sheep and then find someone who will milk them for me, cuz I'm not. Yeah and the Llamas are great guards, another reason I would like to get them.
(0)

Cwillie- That is an interesting ides, sheep milking. Never heard of it, I wonder if its possible. :)
Garden- hope you did just that, relax and keep warm and dream of homesteading. :)
Hope the cold goes away for you all. Today was nice and sunshiney, in the 80's. Now the wind has picked back up, but still quite warm.
(0)

We're having another winter flashback day, little bit of snow but primarily cold winds. I think it's time to dream about homesteading, carding and then sitting at a loom spinning wool, drinking hot chocolate....

It's somewhat difficult to think of gardening in these winter resurrection days. The Siberian Squills and tulips survived the deep freeze, but plenty of branches are down and on the curb for pickup.

Today is a day to relax and just keep warm while the winds howl outside.
(1)

You could get both smeshque, a lot of the sheep farmers around here have a llama or two to guard their flock from coyotes. Maybe you could milk your ewes too... sheep's milk cheese would be much more unique!
(3)

Garden- I wish I had a loom and spinning wheel, that would be great. No, we are going to get hair sheep(Dorpers). I want them because I just love animals, especially all things baby. DH wants to raise and sell, and eat :(. I wanted goats to make cheese, and soap out of milk, And even some people love goats milk(Not I). But most people we talk to say they are too much trouble. But I say if you make their environment a happy and active one, they would be ok. But, DH wins we get sheep. I would love to get llamas. The llama beans(Poo) is great for fertilizing gardens.
(3)

Smeshque, what kind of sheep at you getting? Will they be for fleece production and sale? I'm guessing you have a loom and spinning wheel someplace in the house?
(0)

polar bear- I guess you could say we are homesteaders. although, this is family land been in the family for years. The current area we occupy is 80 acres. 50 is used to grow corn and wheat, 20+ are wooded, we get our firewood from, and that is where we put the bees. And the other 10 has our house, greenhouse, chickens,pigeons, and gardens. Hope to have sheep soon. We are trying to be self sufficient and have been progressing towards that for years now. When we moved parents here, had to hold off on some things. But, never want to spend money on food again, is the goal. We love the bartering system, wish more people bartered. Yes, be careful what you wish for, so much truth in that statement. LOTS OF WORK ALWAYS.
I am a city girl at heart. Married a country boy. So yeah, hear I am.
(3)

smeshque- Are you a homesteader? Sounds like you grow a lot of vegetables, have your own chickens, and now honey. Sometimes, I wish I had a big piece of land to grow my own food, but then I hardly have time to keep my house clean as it is, so I'd better be careful what I wish for. Haha. I hope you will get a lot of honey.
(2)

This weather has been crazy, this cold,we lost a few tomato plants but other than that everything else survived. Thank the Lord.
Tomorrow is supposed to nice and warm and sunshiney. So crazy.

Oh yeah and we got some bees today. :) been waiting a long time to get some. Tired of paying so much for honey. Looking forward to getting more, they are so fascinating.
(1)

We really didn't seem to have much ice, mostly ice pellets, snow and rain but we lost power anyway, it is back on after being out around 8 hours. Moving to town has it's perks and one of them is getting services restored before all the poor schmucks living out on the farm, hydro one estimates show some places staying out until tomorrow afternoon.
(2)

GA, the winds Friday and Saturday were the worst I have seen in a long time. Sustained at about 40mph gusting to 70. A bit of flurry activity here, but to the east all roads had closed because of icing on roads caused by wind and snow. It was a nasty couple of days and nearly back to normal today. Though they are calling for another winter storm next weekend.

Finally, final decision (I hope) on a house plan. Now onto placement on the lot and landscape plan with tall fescue lawn, drought tolerant plants but not cactus tolerant. Agastache, spirea, Echinacea, and other thoughts appreciated. Fat Albert Spruce, Autumn blaze maple.....
(1)

Well, we're surely in a different mode of gardening now, after the winter storm last night and early this morning. I'm really glad I didn't get anything planted yet. Maybe I should wait until the 4th of July, given this out of season weather?

I hesitate to even go out given the winds and extensive ice. And I'm not prepared to see my lovely little crocuses battered about.

Yesterday brought chilly rain; overnight brought some snow, freezing rain and icing up. Fortunately I didn't lose power. It's been a while since we've had this extensive an ice storm.

The yard and garden are covered in ice, lovely crystals which would be shining if there were any sun present. Still, ice is lovely, and has such a magical sheen.

One of the trees in the garden has been a widow maker for years. Right now there are 3 branches that are bent over at about a 30 degree angle, and another that's held steady at about 45 degrees for several hours. Another smaller widow maker has only one branch at the 45 degree angle.

I really do hope they crack and break off because they're in a location where getting to them is impossible with a cherry picker, and they're not strong trees and stable for climbing.

Anyone else hit by this late winter storm?
(0)

I missed these comments; I'll need to make a good cup of coffee and come to this thread as the weekend turns into a winter storm, as predicted.
(3)

iris's blooming.
Wind is so disastrous today.The fields are just tornados of dust. I hope it stops soon. I saw a documentary once about the dustbowl. How some women went crazy because of the wind and they could not keep the dust out if their house. I can see how that could happen.
(0)

Very windy here.🌀 Burn ban. Maybe blizzard tomorrow. But the weeds are doing great. Goatheads coming up 😧 and lilacs budding out. Looking forward to new home, almost there with a plan, down to two. Then design the landscape. Cutting gardens, Phillies, Columbines. Now winter storm warming official. Maybe no work tomorrow? Fingers crossed.
(1)

So good that you got better weather CWillie.

The wind, o the wind....cannot go outside! Went out to tie up a 12 foot high vine, it i s a very cold wind. That thing was going right over if I didn't. Dust in my eyes, boards pounding against the neighbor's carport, left from asbestos cleanup...just dangerous!
The electricity blitzed for a time, after a loud bang. It could have been a blown transformer down a ways, but this not knowing.......
My garden will be needing therapy after this.
(1)

Finally a day of mild weather, crocus that had been reluctant to open burst into bloom, the buds swelled on the trees and I think the grass grew a 1/2 inch today. Plants weren't the only thing bursting forth, people poured from their houses and the brave shed their coats to welcome the sun, I even wrapped mom up and took her outside for a few minutes. Hurrah!

Of course they're predicting freezing rain on the weekend.
(2)

Gardenartist-your garden plans sound lovely. Maybe when you finish you might send me a picture, would love to see it.

We actually have a hoop house. Unfortunately this is only our first winter with it and have not heated it yet. SO up until the last two cold cold days, we weren't concerned about the cold, it was staying warm in there. But since we have plants that are ready to produce fruit we got scared to lose them so we also covered with the leaves for insulation. it worked, thankfully.
hoping to have heating this next winter. We had tomatoes growing until the end of December, then one extremely cold night lost it all.
But your gardening is the kind I enjoy, and love to do. Hoping to get to do some flower gardens this year. A pollinator garden.
(0)

Smeshque, another way to protect from freezes is to use "hoop houses", which are also used to plant baby plants/seedlings outdoors and protect them until the weather warms up. And as you've discovered, leaf mulch helps a lot too.

I'm trying something different this year, a culmination of years of drafting garden plans in the style of a formal garden. I'm creating beds, bordered not by boxwood or typical shrubbery type plants, but by daylilies, irises and other perennials. I plan to hide mulch inside the beds at the base of the borders, and rake it out to protect as necessary against frigid weather.

We too are having a peculiar spring. We've had snow 4 days, more last night, including up to 6"in the northern suburbs.
(1)

Gardening Magazine came in the mail yesterday!
It was addressed to someone down the street, lol.
(2)

Your forecast is looking good Ali, a real push of spring is on the way.
(Don't you just love having info available at your fingertips!)
(0)

Ali, totally jealous of getting to go Cubs game! Hope the weather is good for you. Our weather has been colder than usual for April, but I’m fine with that, we’ll be roasting soon enough. Got a few things planted yesterday and bought mammoth elephant ear bulbs for a wetter spot
(1)

It snowed in Chicago yesterday. I saw the plow/salt trucks waiting by the on ramps to the highways and thought "surely the city is overreacting some." But nope, we had some snow.

This isn't gardening related but I have a ticket to see Cubs game tomorrow night. It had better be good enough weather to go!! I can deal with this lingering cold, but don't want any rain or snow or sleet weather. It will be interesting to me to see if the famed Wrigley Field ivy is starting to get leaves yet.
(1)

Our weather is still unstable. Yesterday was beautiful, sunny with no wind. Today it’s grey, cold and windy. Ugh!
(2)

Wow 95.I would take it. I would love that. it has been crazy weather this year hear too.Supposed to have some high 70s and 80s the rest of the week then another cold day/ Crazy/
(2)

Smeshque . Too bad I couldn't give you some of the heat we had here today. 95 degrees F. A scorcher. And tomorrow it'll be 75 degrees. Crazy weather.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter