Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I'm so mad
I had pruned mom's favorite yellow rose bush back this year and it shot up with a bountiful of roses
Stupid mow, blow and go Gardner took it upon himself to hack it in half after the bloom taking the new buds with it and leaving four long stems still in bloom
If it wasn't for his having been with the Viking for years, I'd fire him
(0)

Consider carefully before scooping manure to use in your garden. A friend did this once then she had a bountiful crop of weeds, some new ones she had never had before. It took five years of spraying and burning until she was able to get rid of them.
(0)

Cwillie, i would get buckets that fit in the trunk that have lids, get a foldable camp shovel and a water proof bag that will hold all of the equipment. Find bags that you can line your buckets with, fold over and put lid on. This will keep the yuck out of your trunk.

Let us know if you do something. All of my research points to cow manure for the most nutrients vs horse. Chicken poo is the best but quite frankly I hate to pay for something I can go get free and it is better then a therapist for me. It also stinks like, well poo!🤣
(0)

So, I live close to open range ranching, I take a five gallon bucket or two and find the water tanks and holes. Yep, shovel and bucket wandering around water tanks or holes scoopin' poop. It helps that I drive a 4x4 truck and keep my garden equipment in my tool box.

Yea, I'm the crazy lady tourists point at. I know in my heart they just wish they could be so care free.😁
(2)

I grew up in Lancaster, PA in Amish country,, and they made "shite tea" mixed the cow poo in water and watered the plants with it. Worked great for them..
(0)

OK, how do you go about collecting cow manure? (I'm picturing you wandering around the pasture with a shovel and a sack)

Some of the local big farms have started storing their manure in big windrows along the back of their property, when I come across some out in the boonies I've often thought I could help myself if I only had a pickup truck (or I could figure out a no mess way to get it in the trunk of my car 😂)
(1)

I go out and collect cow manure as a good therapy as well. My friends are like, you can not possibly be this happy about poo. Yes I can, it nourishes my compost and heats it up wonderfully, when I apply the compost to my garden I can see how happy my plants are, tell me, what else could I ask for? It is a win/win, happy poo picking, happy me, happy compost, happy plants, yummy dinner! That, to me, is as good as it gets!
(1)

Hopefully I can get this project started in the fall, when house is done. But, I sure have my work cut out for me in the spring!
(1)

Cwillie, SO AZ. Actually there are a few things that grow in the hottest months, sweet potatoes are heat lovers and the leaves are delicious fresh or sauteed, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes (well shaded) squash and of course herbs.

When I read about snow and rain, cold days I can only dream, we have not had any winters for about 6 years and we are already hitting the 100's. Yuck!
(2)

Pam- try Ponderosa Pinks
Polar- you also need a worm farm, we got one last year
(1)

I love gardening. It's so relaxing (mentally) and rewarding. My papaya fruits are ripening and we already harvested several big and tasty papayas.

My husband wants to get a compost tumbler. His back is not young anymore and he doesn't want to mix and turn the heavy compost loads. I don't blame him. So, I'm in the market for a good large compost tumbler. They are expensive. Any recommendations?
(0)

Pam, I have photos of my dad when he planted mortgage lifters. They’re huge. He only planted them one year. Still too early to plant anything here. Probably be a couple more weeks.
(1)

We are planning our garden ( very small) and I love heirloom tomatoes. Looked up a few I wanted to try.. forgot to tell hubs,, not really sure I could find them anyway. Hubs went out today and got the plants.. he was telling me he got me some heirlooms. I mentioned
a Mortgage lifter... and he started to laugh.. he got one!! Also a Mister Stripey,, had great luck with that last year! I am excited!
(2)

I’m hoping my lilac blooms next year, it’s only about 24 inches tall. I have ordered vincas and a peony. It’s fun and exciting starting from scratch in my garden areas here in Idaho.
(1)

Asian beetles, don't remind me. Had them in Kansas, nasty bugs and are not lady bugs! Had been gone for a week. While gone the winds blew a door open. Got home to a ceiling covered with the darn things. It was extremely disgusting!

Honeysuckle blooming here too. Everything still looks very dry.
(2)

Having fun spreading horse manure!

My forsythia did not bloom like normal, do you suppose that is because it bloomed again Dec 2017 when we had a warm spell?
I'm dreading the Japanese beetles again this year 😡 I was constantly spraying Neem oil last year on them but I could not keep up

Have found about 15 little morel mushrooms so far!  And a baby painted turtle on my driveway, it obviously went the wrong direction from the pond so I rescued it but only after I kept it in a little bowl of water and took many pictures 😊

Spring makes me feel so alive and I wish it would stay morning all day!!!
(3)

Honeysuckle blooming.
(1)

Isthisrealyreal, I'm not sure if you have told us where you live but it is obviously a warmer climate zone, are you able to continue growing your veggies throughout the summer months or do you have to take a break when it gets really hot?
(1)

I harvested more tomatoes then we can use, rabbits really enjoyed my kale, squash plants covered in blooms, sweet potatoes vining and cucumbers in about 10 days! I love this time of year.

Green thumbs!
(1)

Becky that sounds like the title of an Outlander novel :)
(1)

I have tulips in the snow.
(1)

My lilacs and wisteria are in full bloom, as are all my trees.. and my allergies... But I love it!
(3)

Hi Becky, sounds like you are doing something right with your beautiful clematis.

My lady’s blush rose has buds I’m excited to see the single roses on this shrub. The hydrangea is growing well after its first winter here. The hummingbird mint is on its way in the mail. I should have a few flowers this year. Anyone know if lavender blooms the first year
I also have basil, parsley and cilantro growing.
(2)

I don’t know if I’m right or wrong but I cut my clematis to the ground in the fall. It comes back bigger and better every fall. Last year the blooms were big and lots of them. It’s about a foot high coming out of the snow.
(2)

I took the advice I found online and cut my overgrown and knotted clematis down to about 1 meter, I sure hope I didn't kill it. (I'm pretty sure it is a jackmanii, but I've been wrong before). While researching I saw a good video about severely reducing my pink spirea as well but I'm not sure I have the courage to tackle that too.
(0)

Spring is literally rampaging in as winter has already faded out. Winds have battered the area heavily this week, but the flowers are still popping up everywhere.

White and lilac violets have spread from the back yard around to the front, and even across to a neighbor's yard. The daylilies have shot up several inches and are over 7 - 8" high already. The first Lunaria (money plant) bloomed a few days ago.

Daffodils and one lovely red tulip brighten otherwise pure green areas. And there are more spots of color way at the end of the garden, but the winds are battering everything and gusting to probably up to 25 mph, making it unsafe to venture out.

That would take me through the realm of the Widowmakers being whipped to and fro. Several branches are already down; I don't want to be around when more of them come plunging to the ground.
(2)

blackberries are in bloom,
CW I have similar memory of our kitchen on chicken killing day. :(
Sorry Garden, we didn't mean to talk so fowl. :)
(5)

The temperature has really shot up, I took a walk along the river trails today and saw the first clumps of bloodroot, purple violets, dog tooth violets (trout lily), and another white flower that I don't know the name of. Spring has arrived!!
(2)

This thread has taken a really interesting turn. I had no idea there were so many people her who raised chickens! I'm learning a lot, although I could never grow chickens in my area. I wouldn't mind having a rooster as an alarm clock, though, especially as an alternative to being awakened by the zoom of speeding cars.
(3)

My grandmother killed two chickens every Saturday afternoon. She got them all ready to fry for Sunday dinner. On Sunday morning she poured buttermilk over the pieces and put in the refrigerator. After church she dredged in mixture of salt, pepper, flour. Fried in Lard with a touch of honey melted in it. I do mine the same except   I use solid Crisco. No lard.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter