Follow
Read More
I've just seen a photo of stunning terraced gardens, with lights which are apparently solar marking the various terraces. Although I've seen plenty of ads for exterior lighting, I haven't seen anything as effective or lovely as those in that particular photo, one of the series that MS arbitrarily places on the desktop when the computer is booted.

I was thinking how stunning it would be to have solar lights outlining beds.

Has anyone done anything like this? If so, what are your thoughts? Is there enough sun in your particular zone to keep the lights on in the evening through the night? Are the lights affected by storms, or even heavy rain or strong winds?
(1)

All good ideas.....but I would not waste my reeses on the miserable meeses.
Only saw o n e brown mouse outdoors.  

I could never kiss the cat after that.....
(1)

Send, get a couple cats!
(2)

Send, I have had good luck convincing the mice to either leave or suffer hari kari, if the infestation isn't too bad. I used D-con (with warfarin - I guess it causes internal hemorrhaging. I tucked the D-con in Reeses peanut butter cups. Any other soft chocolate could work.

Even though they are pests, it seems as though they have good taste and like chocolate. So I gave them some, as well as a farewell.
(1)

Thank you for the facts Veronica! I do really well with the facts.
Going out now to buy a shotgun, lol.

Oh, wait....a neighbor gave us the biggest mouse traps I had ever seen when she moved.
Not my favorite form of euthanasia, I would cry if anything got trapped (mouse, baby bunny, baby possum, baby squirrel)....my garden is doomed.

May have to resort to the flashing lights, make them all want to move.
(1)

Send mouse can climb anything. I have had them climb in and out of an empty chest freezer and leave their calling cards.
(1)

I gave the hummingbird feeder to the neighbor, and I can watch them feed from my front windows and porch!

I was feeding the premium food for birds, with nuts, seeds, and fruit. We have lots left.
Can mouse climb the block wall to eat?
(0)

They nearly destroyed my dwarf blue spruce last year before I noticed Smeshque, this year hopefully I've caught them while they are still tiny. If I can't get ahead of them the tree is toast.
(1)

Glad to hear its moths,cwillie.Thanks for clarifying.
(1)

The trick is to put your feeder close enough to see but far enough away that the mess stays off your porch. And don't leave too much food out at once or overnight if you are attracting vermin. Back when I had bird feeders I did my best to discourage squirrels from climbing up but they were welcome to anything that dropped on the ground, so were the bunnies and the occasional mouse. If you stick with premium seeds like black oil sunflower and mixes that don't include corn, oats or wheat and feeders without perches you can have the pretty little birds and not the big messy ones.
(2)

My yard and garden got all happy....there was a red squirrel taking a few peanuts out of my hand then a few birds on the porch rail, I started feeding, and an outdoor tuxedo cat visited.
Next thing I know, crows are flying over pooping on my car; grey squirrels are fighting and chased away Ratatouile; birds are nesting and pooping on my back porch stairs; too many birds come and are chased away by the grey squirrels. The last straw came when a mouse was on my front porch at dusk, eating the bird food. That is all over now.
No choice for me, because I want a clean porch. This is so hard, because it was mostly fun. The hummingbirds did not take to the new feeder.
I have seen the skink once, and my bouganvilla survived another winter, starting over at about 8" tall in a planter.
(0)

HahaSend, not necessary.
(1)

Miller moth much migration path. It has been raining a bit which makes for more moths. Ming sure has fun with them.
(1)

Gypsy moths. I was spraying millions of tiny gypsy moths.
(1)

Butterflies are great creatures. We are in a migration path of several bird species and butterflies. It is a beautiful thing to see, and it would be sad, if they were all gone.
But to each their own.
(1)

Sharyn,
We could change the name of this thread to suit your particular style of gardening:
"Gardening via the internet", ha ha ha.
How do you do that?

Scraping bird poo off a porch is still gardening, right? What happens outside stays outside. It is very therapeutic.

Thanks for your thread Garden Artist.
(0)

Lol. It was a really big grasshopper, eewwwww.

Saw the rope holding the bird feeder into a thin, hanging by a thread, ready to fall any minute trap.

(Luckylu knows I would not do that)!

Wondering what size bird will knock it down:  Sparrow, Blue Jay, Crow, Peregrine falcon, or "Big Bird" from Sesame Street.....
Or, will it take a squirrel?
(0)

Yesterday, for my garden, I purchased a scraper.....just to use for the bird poop coming down from the birds nest above my back porch and back door. I couldn't even use ths back door!
Nature is beautiful, but don't romanticize it!

Survival of the fittest is part of the save the earth campaign.

I felt relief to have acidentally run over the head of a huge grasshopper-that was probably someone's guru or something. Then, it was gone, likely eaten by a bird predator.

Cynical much? Sorry, not sorry.
(0)

What if she answers "yes" ???
(0)

Cwillie- are you the one killing all the butterflies?Caterpillars=butterflies (ok well sometimes moths)depending on caterpillar.
(1)

There is construction next door, and a nice roll of tyvek was sitting out.
Good thing I was there to watch it.....
(2)

Send, I’ll have to look into that. I know the way I’m doing it (via the internet) will need soil added from time to time from weathering. It’s a bit of a circus right now. My hubs has no interest in gardening, I can’t figure out why he keeps doing this knowing it makes it harder for me.

I’m getting a kick out of the construction going on around our neighborhood. They leave lumber laying around, large stacks, lumber leaning against the framing of the house, ladders left leaning against the house. In California, it would all be gone before daylight. Not to mention the lure to children to climb the ladder.
(2)

At last I can finally get gardening. I gave my last final exam this afternoon and there’s no snow in sight.
(1)

Cwillie,
I do regret selling some useful products in a yard sale. The small amount we received was just not worth losing the use of those products.
I have decided, to make room, keep sheds/garage organized, get rid of junk only, not good working things, almost new, such as:
[List of regrets below:]
Battery charger/starter
Automobile buffer/car shine
RV 26' and 50' electrical hook-up cords
Hedge trimmer
RV 12 v. deep cycling battery
Huge house fan on a pedestal
(2) beautiful love seats that I could use today
etc.

That's not all.
(0)

Sharyn,
When at the local equipment rental, I saw a product used to prevent mudslides.
It was a 25' long bail of tightly wound hay, about the diameter of a lunch plate.
It could be staked into the ground to hold in place.

You could use that, add dirt on top, and voila', a better, stronger berm.

You could also place some sand bags, dig them down a bit into the dirt, with several inches above the ground, use as a base for your berm, add the planting mix or topsoil onto that. Big berm!
(0)

I sold my riding mower yesterday so for now at least I must rely on my little reel mower. My property is really too small for a riding mower and it took up most of my garden shed but it certainly made grass cutting easy, I hope I don't regret the decision.

I've picked up a child's pinwheel from the dollar store "to protect the grass seed I've planted" and I've been moving it around the side yard. This morning I was out spraying caterpillars with insecticidal soap so I gave the feeder a good treatment too, it shouldn't harm the birds and I hope it will make the seed less palatable.
(2)

Oh those irritations and pit falls to our best plans only to hindered by people. I’m dealing with creating berms against our back fence for planting. Those of you who have used bagged garden soil know you can’t just pour out the soil in a mound and expect water to thoroughly penetrate it. I wet it first then make the berm in sections tamping it down and adding more soil. While I’m at work the next day, my hubs goes out and pours a bag of soil on what I have started and uses the spray nozzle on it. Of course the soil is bone dry underneath, so I have to remove what he put on, wet it thoroughly first then add it back on. I explain to him till I’m blue in the face, he keeps doing it anyway. I think I’m going to get the saw and cut off one leg on his work bench. I so dislike having to redo things. I’m going to send him across the street to “help” the neighbor with his backyard plans.
(2)

GA,
Actually, life is looking a little better everyday. Sure, it is hard, it has been hard.
Just came inside after w a t e r i n g our plants, on the neighbor's side that has been under construction for 6 mos. Mud was going everywhere because they have not landscaped, instead, drove over our landscaping, breaking potted plants, toppling them over, and crushing the rocks down so there is only dirt, not rocks. What a wet mess now.
Tomorrow, when the contractors return, they will be tracking dirt everywhere.

My hubs wants me to water just before they arrive, but alas, it i s not watering day.
(0)

Another one.
The birdseed will get on your side, as well as the bird poop. Can you put fly paper tacked down on your side to catch and hold the seeds? Oops, he stepped on your side.....

Spring is here....everyone shut your windows, because CWillie is going to fertilize her lawn down that strip on the neighbor's side, with real fertilizer! Whew!
(1)

Send, the charcoal dust cure really made me laugh! Tracking in dust and droppings would be quite an eye opening experience for him.

Sorry to learn life isn't going so well for you.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter